Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Road rage seems to in the air, these days. Yesterday evening, I had a fellow brought in with a "Sheriff chaser" (ambulance followed by Sheriff's car) over a road rage incident.

It seems that two young(ish) fellows felt that the road wasn't big enough for the two of them (Western film devotees will understand the reference) and decided to square off at 60+ mph. The fellow I ended up meeting thought that the confrontation might go beyond words and sign language (usually expressed in single digits - literally), so he removed his "piece" (reported to be a 1911 clone) from the glove box and tucked it under his right thigh for easy access.

At some point in the testosterone-fueled follies, the fellow in my ER thought that the other guy was reaching for a weapon (or so he claimed to the deputy), so he grabbed his gun (the 1911, not the other one). Unfortunately, the 1911 in question was in "condition 1" (or maybe "condition 0" - just a guess) and when he grabbed it, the pistol "just went off" (oh, how often have I heard that?).

The JHP bullet exited the muzzle and grazed the back of the man's right thigh - the muzzle blast actually did more damage here - without expanding appreciably and then entered the left thigh a bit more anterior (toward the front of the thigh), punching through the biceps femoris muscle and exiting the outer thigh through a one-inch hole. According to the deputy, the bullet appears to have lodged itself in the door - it left a dimple on the exterior sheet metal.

Well, having just shot himself (a la Tex Grebbner), the man lost all interest in the argument...and apparently lost interest in driving for a critical few seconds, because the fire department found him in the ditch, at the end of a fairly long trail of mangled alder saplings (it's OK, they'll grow back). The EMTs were startled to find that their "single vehicle collision" victim had a gunshot wound, so they called the Sheriff's department on their way to the ER.

The good news is that the damage was pretty superficial (except to the truck, which is going to need a lot of work, I'm told) and he was able to limp out of the ER and into his girlfriend's car under his own power. The deputy decided that no crime had been committed (apart from misdemeanor stupid, which still isn't a crime in Oregon, sad to say), not even discharging a firearm inside city limits (it happened outside of town), so no charges will be filed.

I hope that he's learned a lesson, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jim

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does.
We get similar here, mostly minus the gunshot wound.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,543 Posts
AD. VID. No charges. He can look on the bright side :)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Well, look at it this way, if he hadn't have shot himself, who knows how the altercation would have ended..........he might have actually pulled the 1911 and shot at the other person, possibly killing the OTHER idiot involved.....

I have to add, if he had a wheelgun, probably wouldn't have shot himself.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
"Well, having just shot himself (a la Tex Grebbner),"

You mean Tex "I'm from Illinois, but I had a Texas flare in high school." Grebbner? :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
There was a recent incident here in the east, where an incident of road rage cost a young child its life. The suspect fired at another car striking the child! It's not the gun, it's the stupid people holding the gun. The really scary part is these people are allowed to BREED!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Does road rage ever go "horribly right?"
Sometimes.
June 26 this year I wrecked my motorcycle. Classic case of "I didn't see the biker." Someone pulled out in front of me.

One of my injuries was a mangled finger. Which is the finger I habitually use to activate my turn signals in my cage.

Try as I might, and I really did try, over the next couple of weeks I failed to use my turn signal on several occasions. Mangling my finger did come as a package deal, damaging most of the rest of my hand. I'm still having trouble with door knobs.

I pissed one young man off, and he began the whole angry driving act. Jumping back and forth across lanes so he could attempt to pull abreast and give me a piece of his mind. Like it's big enough to be dividing it anyway. He kept charging at the rear of my car like he was going to ram me.

Eventually at a redlight, he pulled up beside me and screamed.
"hey dips***, is your f***ing blinker broken!?"
"Why, no sir. Just the hand that works it."
As I raised my left hand, covered in bandages, and a splint holding my middle finger straight up.

He looked shocked for a moment, then started laughing.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Well, having just shot himself (a la Tex Grebbner),"

You mean Tex "I'm from Illinois, but I had a Texas flare in high school." Grebbner? :D
Yes, that would be the fellow. I love his video - the one where he shoots himself. I've shown that to my sons on numerous occasions as a lesson to be learned.

Jim

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does road rage ever go "horribly right?"
Good point! You might even say this episode of road rage went "horribly right" because no innocent people were hurt and one of the perpetrators ended up in the hospital with minor injuries.

Jim

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Good story hey did you guys hear about the horrible road rage in New Mexico close to Alburque? I know miss spell but a 4 year old girl was shot and killed!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
A couple possible positives

Good point! You might even say this episode of road rage went "horribly right" because no innocent people were hurt and one of the perpetrators ended up in the hospital with minor injuries.

Jim
This guy's incompetence may have saved several lives including his own. Imagine if he'd actually managed to pick up the gun without it "just going off." If he shot anyone other than himself, it probably would have been someone in another car and not his antagonist.

Then, if the other guy had actually been armed and maybe a little (but obviously not much) brighter, he might have shot this fool in the face. That would have exposed the outside world to the hyper-intense vacuum inside this guy's skull. Who knows how much damage might have resulted from an implosion like that.

You do have some great stories. Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Sometimes.
June 26 this year I wrecked my motorcycle. Classic case of "I didn't see the biker." Someone pulled out in front of me.

One of my injuries was a mangled finger. Which is the finger I habitually use to activate my turn signals in my cage.

Try as I might, and I really did try, over the next couple of weeks I failed to use my turn signal on several occasions. Mangling my finger did come as a package deal, damaging most of the rest of my hand. I'm still having trouble with door knobs.

I pissed one young man off, and he began the whole angry driving act. Jumping back and forth across lanes so he could attempt to pull abreast and give me a piece of his mind. Like it's big enough to be dividing it anyway. He kept charging at the rear of my car like he was going to ram me.

Eventually at a redlight, he pulled up beside me and screamed.
"hey dips***, is your f***ing blinker broken!?"
"Why, no sir. Just the hand that works it."
As I raised my left hand, covered in bandages, and a splint holding my middle finger straight up.

He looked shocked for a moment, then started laughing.
So you're the inspiration for the Seinfeld episode where George thinks another drier flipped him off but it turns out the guy is wearing a cast?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I have to add, if he had a wheelgun, probably wouldn't have shot himself.
Are you suggesting that it is not possible to have an accidental discharge with a revolver?
Or are you thinking that if he was sitting on the revolver that the pressure/friction applied would have inhibited the cylinder from rotating? Or at the very least might have alerted him to the probelm.
I only have one revolver and if the hammer is cocked it's got a very light trigger pull.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
LMAO.

And why do so many people shoot themselves with 1911? More cannon fodder for the fanboy "cocked and locked" argument. :rolleyes:

Good story Jim. Not near as funny as the Prius wreck though. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
So you're the inspiration for the Seinfeld episode where George thinks another drier flipped him off but it turns out the guy is wearing a cast?
Lol, I wish! I don't remember that episode, must've missed it. I was still a teenager when it went off the air I think. I was that weird kid who loved Cheers, Seinfield, Are You Being Served, M*A*S*H, and other shows like that, while my peers were pissing their pants over Power Rangers.

Night Court! In the Heat of the Night! Oh man, those were some childhood favorites.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts