Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
7,224 Posts
Know a bit about them.

I own several Lar-15 rifles including the Standard A4, A4 midlength in 5.56 and also a 6.8spc and they are great rifles. I have owned mine since 06, or 07. They are great rifles and never had an issue with any of them. Fit finish and function is above average, and like the fact that they come a 2 stage trigger from the factory. If you need any more information about them, drop me a PM and I will see if I can answer your questions.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Got my wife the Entry Tactical, she loves it! I got the LAR-8 Standard at same time. My Uncle hooked me up with Versa Pod bipods for both. I have a DPMS I got in 2001, but I think I like the RRA guns better.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,224 Posts
Originally when I was upgrading to the .308 platform I wanted the RRA LAR-8, at the time RRA was advertising them, but nobody had one in stock, for atleast that next year I looked for them. I eventually settled on the LR308 dpms since I could not find a LAR-8. I am actually glad I went with the dpms in the end. Reason being the LAR-8 is a proprietary gun, which means that not alot of aftermarket gear is available for it compared to the LR308. The dpms on the other hand shares some parts with the knights armament sr25, and POF rifles. You can buy a Gunfighter charging handle, magpul mags, troy quadrail, several barrel configurations from dpms,etc etc. I have a friend that has a Lar-8 and he wanted to build his the same as mine. Its a great sub moa gun in my testing. At that time you had to get the tools from RRA to do it, and use all RRA parts to make it work. Not so with the dpms, you could buy the upper and lower receiver claws, barrel wrenchs, etc. from many places. Don't mistake me I am not bashing the LAR-8, it a real good shooting rifle, and equal in accuracy to the LR308 comparing apples to apples, but if you have the need to personalize it, dpms is the way to go. Only other negative to me about the LAR-8 was the bolt release on the bottom behind the mag well, the dpms is traditional, same as the AR15 platform, unknown why the did that, and went with the fal, L1A1 mags, seem to be alot better ones out there they could have used. Just my personal opinion. Best advice snatch either one up because probably soon you won't be able to anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts