Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on this forum. Anybody have any recommendations on an aftermarket trigger and flash hider for my older mini 14 ranch? Not lookin to spend much money on it, just make it shoot a little better. Comin over from the M77 world so this trigger is driving me CRAZY!!!!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! Accuracy Rifle Systems sells an adjustable trigger for $80, Brownell's stocks it. Most of us just do a trigger job ourselves, Gundoc had a good video on the do-it-yourself trigger job, but since he retired the site is down. Maybe someone out there had saved it or has a link to it. Easy enough to do as long as you take it slow. Even just a polish on the contact surfaces will help. For the older Ranch ( I have three of them) you can thread the muzzle and then be able to use any of the 1/2"x 28 TPI muzzle brakes or flash hiders meant for the AR, or go with a clamp on or roll pin flash hider like the Choate or Mo-Reaper.
Here is my 195 series Mini-14 that I threaded to 1/2"-28, an used an A2 flash hider:

And my 189 series Mini-30 that has the Choate combination flash hider/front sight. You have to drill 2 new roll pin holes for them, but they work well and look good:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll look into that trigger. Is it a single stage or 2 stage? As far as flash hiders, I'd prefer the slide on type for cost reasons. I've seen the Choate combo flash hider/front sight, but I'm not real impressed with the look. Choate had an M1A style flash hider on their website but everywhere I've looked for it says it's not available anymore.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The description in the Brownell's catalog doesn't say, but I would imagine it is a two stage, as only the trigger is included, and all your other stock trigger group parts are re-used. I'm not too put off by the look of the Choate, some of the M1A flash hiders look too long on the little Mini. I don't like the looks of the Mo-Reaper, especially the front sight shape, but some people really like them.
AMK Tactical makes the long style M1A flash hider for the Mini, it looks great and also has a fiber optic tube in the sight.
Ruger Mini 14 Steel 580 Series Slip on Flash Hider with a Fiber Optic Sight - Advanced Manufacturing Koncepts
They do say that it only fits the 580+ and not the older Mini's, They want you to send your front sight in to ensure proper fit, I guess they don't trust us to be able to measure your barrel. There are only 2 sizes. All older Mini-14's have a .560" o.d. barrel where the front sight rests, all new (580+) series, and all Mini-30's regardless of age have a .625" barrel. You did not say exactly what series you have, just an older Ranch.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Ok, As far as flash hiders, I'd prefer the slide on type for cost reasons. I've seen the Choate combo flash hider/front sight, but I'm not real impressed with the look. Choate had an M1A style flash hider on their website but everywhere I've looked for it says it's not available anymore.
Even the slide on flash hiders get expensive, the choate flash hider sandog has is about the best middle ground as far as price goes. Other wise you will be paying in the 130 dollar range for a top shelf slip on muzzle brake or flash hider. Oh, and the cheap ones... well, that is exactly what they are... "cheap"

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you go to the Choate Machine & Tool website they are showing that the M1A style flashider is in stock in blu or SS. They are around 50.00

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then I guess I have a 187 series? And yes I saw that one last night. Little more than I can spend right now but hopefully in the near future. Any other simple mods yall would recommend?

·
"The Real Deal"
7,065 Posts
Then I guess I have a 187 series? And yes I saw that one last night. Little more than I can spend right now but hopefully in the near future. Any other simple mods yall would recommend?
I have a 1988 model mini 14, I added the choate m14 flashider, a buffertech recoil buffer that fits on the operating rod, extra power (ASI) recoil spring, gg&g 1913 rail that bolts up to the ranch rifles receiver, accustrut socom length, hogue ghille green stock for a longer length of pull, and strikefire by vortex as my red dot. All that gear works great and makes it more accurate, and better working for me. Here is mine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Chech out this post on PU. M14/M1A flash hider on Mini-14 . Its pretty much the same.

Sorry , thats the Perfect Union Forum , I thought that would link , my bad.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,065 Posts
Will do. What's the benefit of the accustrut? Just better accuracy from the extra barrel support?
Yes basically it reinforces the barrel for less whip, and also acts as a heatsink to draw heat away from the barrel, more surface area, faster cooling. Thats what I have experienced. Its worth the upgrade on the pencil barrels, and will shrink your groups. ;)

·
Exalted One
1,717 Posts
AccuStrut

Will do. What's the benefit of the accustrut? Just better accuracy from the extra barrel support?
Agree with Tacky. For your 187-series (pencil barrel), it will likely make a big difference. There are a number of versions/models of AccuStruts (SOCOM, LT, XDrill). The SOCOMs are shorter (4 or 5") and use one clamp, the LT and XDrill are longer (~6") and use two clamps. For your pencil barrel, the LT or XDrill will show the greatest improvement. The SOCOM model may show some improvement and help with heat dissipation, but not nearly as dramatically as the LT or XDrill. SOCOMs are popular mostly for looks - particularly for non-pencil barrels.

Accu-strut for Mini-14

If you're only doing about one shot every few minutes, there probably won't be as much of an improvement because the pencil barrel doesn't heat up as quickly and start slinging rounds. But then again, what's the good of having a semi-auto if you're shooting that slowly?:)

I have a 181-series GB model (with bayonet lug) that gets in the way of the strut, but I bought an LT anyway for all the good reasons and am modifying the strut to clear the lug. A real PITA given I have no milling machines (or the skills). Just an angle grinder, SawzAll, and hand files. Eventually will start a thread showing this. But it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome. I will look into it. Now a whole new issue.......my handguard cracked yesterday. Thoughts on what I should look at and where? Kinda like the one choate offers that is ventilated but it sounds like it's plastic. Not a big fan of that. Recommendations on steel handguard options?

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Awesome. I will look into it. Now a whole new issue.......my handguard cracked yesterday. Thoughts on what I should look at and where? Kinda like the one choate offers that is ventilated but it sounds like it's plastic. Not a big fan of that. Recommendations on steel handguard options?
I don't know about steel, but Amega and Ultimak make some pretty awesome handguards (these are aluminum).

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Misfire told me about a steel handguard. Might be an e- bay only item. Then there are the aluminum hanguards like the Ultimak that also give you an excellent place to mount optics as well as acting as a further heat sink and further stiffening the barrel to help accuracy. I have two of them, only my blued Mini is without an Ultimak, because I want that hand guard to remain wood.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aluminum would be ok. Just trying to avoid plastic. Prices on handguards are cheaper than I expected. I found a socom accu strut for 79.99, curious if I should go for full length? And I would I be drilling another hole above the sling mount to mount the strut correct?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts