1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here is a list of rounds that should chamber in the new Redhawk
im guessing the winmag might be pushing it but it should chamber
some using the moon clips some not
the schofield rim might be a tiny bit to big around, but i bet it can be fitted easy enough

did i miss any?

.45 ACP
.45 GAP
.45 Colt
.45 Schofield
.460 Rowland
.45 Super
.455 Webley
.45 Win Mag
.450 SMC
.450adams/.45 short colt
.45 cowboy special

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The .45 Auto Rim does not work according to Mr. Quinn @ Gunblast.
yup i missed that thick rim

wonder if that could be fudged a bit...

of course i dont know if folks have a big bucket full of auto rim under the bench

and the webely rim diameter is a bit big and not that anybody has asackful of that brass either

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
.455 Webley? I have a box of that Fiocchi stuff I bought 10 years ago, wonder if it will chamber in my .45 ACP Vaquero........

Also, you have to add:

.45 Short Colt, aka .450 Adams......again, pretty irrelevant since only Fiocchi and maybe places like Buffalo Arms sell this stuff, unless you've got an old .450 Adams revolver that is more of a collectible than a shooter, you're not worried about .45 Short Colt.

.45 Army - a round used by the US Army from about 1875-1890, it was designed to work in both the Colt Model P and the Schofield, so that the Ordnance dept. didn't have to issue/make two different rounds........In reality very little .45 Long Colt was used by the military, it was mostly .45 Army........however if you're finding .45 Army or making it, then hats off to you:)

I knew about .45 GAP, which is important to note, since sometimes you can find this stuff cheap since nearly no one wants it. It will not work in the .45 ACP Single Actions.

Most people are concerned with .45 ACP and .45 LC, but I like oddball rounds too, and sometimes shoot .44 Russian through my Redhawk.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Seems to me someone offered either loaded ammo or brass for a .45 Cowboy for the SASS crowd at one time, too.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Most of those rounds are expensive to buy or a PITA to make, since you would have to buy brass or alter existing brass for 0 gain, unless you just so happened to be a niche collector with a bunch of guns like .455 Webleys and were already cranking out your own ammo.

Also, even for a .357 revolver, there are a bunch of rounds you can shoot that are pretty much dead and non existent.........if you just so happened to have a pile of .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, or .38 Special "short" you would be good to go.

Also for .44 Magnum owners, .44 Russian will work just fine, also the long dead and buried .44 American will work just fine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of those rounds are expensive to buy or a PITA to make
ohh yes agreed

it was just a exercise to see how versatile a moonclipped .45colt RedHawk could be
as made clear by the .45 Win Mag this has to be a RedHawk or SRH
i wouldnt want to try those in a cherished model 25

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
If I had deep pockets, I would do something oddball like buy a pallett of Fiocchi .455 Webley, get a "raw" Redhawk cylinder that hasn't been finished or chambered, and have someone like Pinnacle build me the world's first .455 Webley Redhawk.......

·
Banned
308 Posts
If I had deep pockets, I would do something oddball like buy a pallett of Fiocchi .455 Webley, get a "raw" Redhawk cylinder that hasn't been finished or chambered, and have someone like Pinnacle build me the world's first .455 Webley Redhawk.......
Oh good, then you could fire all those old .450 Adams cartridges you got squired away too?

Radio George

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I would have another Redhawk made, chambered and marked for .450 Adams, and then ALSO have the world's only .450 Adams Redhawk:)

I just found the partial mostly full boxes of Fiocchi .450 and .455 Webley I had laying around, so when I finally get a .45 ACP/LC Redhawk now I have about 92 rounds of oddball ammo to shoot in it, and can post a range report ".455 and .450 through the Redhawk":)

Like the critically acclaimed range report I did a few years back, ".44 Russian through the Super Redhawk"which I think 3 people actually read lol

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the Cowboy Special for, faster reloading?
well light loads in the full length colt case
have been known to be problematic (somne folks even use fillers)
and wouldnt it be much nicer to use 4gr of Bullseye or 700X
instead of playing games with powders that dont burn properly

these cowboy shooters go threw tons of rounds
and they even make shell lifters for lever actions for the 45 cowboy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been testing different brands of cowboy action 45 Colt/Schofield in my Taylor's 6 shot converter, fitted by them, into an old Armi San Paolo SS 1858 Replica. My goal is to find something mild, but uniform, with between 225 and 265 grains.
Phone techs told me that Trail Boss won't bump anything up. My riflings are really slow and were made for round balls. I put in a Track of the Wolf "California" front sight. The slower Ultramax 45 S & W hits pretty close to the 225 Federal Champions, and 250 gr. Desperados over 34 grs. of 2F B.P.

But my six shooter was deliberately fitted up as tight as possible, so strings of B.P. are out. My hottest loads so far are 6.0 grs. of Tite Group, and 200 grain cast bullets. These hit quite a bit lower. I haven't found a good uniform load yet. So I ordered some American Cowboy 45 c Specials. I'm not a gamer, so I'll try and duplicate the 455 Webley service load,with bullets sized down to .451".

Adirondack Jack created the 45 Cowboy Special a little longer than the old 455 Webley Green to equal its capacity in a modern Starline case. It reloads using common 45 acp dies but I had to purchase a specialty die to both seat, and also put oxymoronic roll crimps, into cases as short as the 45 GAP.

Less air space over Tite Group, Trail Boss, or 700 X means better ignition, or so I hope. Wish me luck. I'll come back when these tests are finished up. A 265 gr. Beartooth, Keith, sized to .451 will probably be too long and heavy, but we'll see, in a month or two.

I can't simply goose up a load to help stabilize it, since my out of production SS ASP's frame won't take too much abuse. So far my biggest PITA is green gas and crud getting back around my brass in the converter cylinder. The factory ammo burns cleaner, and this isn't nearly as bad as my hand loads.

I've had to go back to an old "Farsight" diopter, clipped onto my shooting glasses to see both sights again. I look like a Pirate Captain wearing this, and I need bright sunlight to see any details way out thar!

edit; I got my American Cowboy ammo via UPS today. I examined one under a magnifying glass and its sports a roll crimp. This pretty well rules out reloading them with a common 45 acp reloading die set. Those only put in taper crimps, as a roll crimp defeats cases from head spacing on their mouths.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Updater; I reloaded 45 Colt, 45 S & W, and 45cSpecial cases with 235 gr. R.N. Desperados, over Trail Boss minimum loads, and CCI 350 Mag. Pistol Primers. When I shoot these up over the Weekend, I'll reload them with some of Bill Benny's 250 and 265 gr. Webley hollow based bullets. It looks like the blunt nosed 250's will also make a super wad cutter, seated deeply within the longer 45 Colt Cases.

The sugar loaf 265 gr. Webleys almost demand the stubby 45 c Specials to fit into my converter cylinder. The Schofields would definitely require roll crimping over their sloping noses. Examining these Webley derivative bullets, shows why the Brits hung onto these relics for so many years. Their Webley revolver was quicker in getting off repeat shots than their London Colt 45 S.A.A.'s. Today, we feel the same way about fighting off a bear with a D.A. six shooter.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
45 hp from germany would also work. It is 1 mm shorter than 45 acp to avoid military caliber restrictions such as in Italy. Just like the 9x21.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Scofields got the tip of the hat

After sleeping on my shooting session yesterday, I've realized that Taylor's & Co., knew exactly what they were doing when they put the Schofield rim cutouts into their longer 45 Colt Chambers.

Putting a decent length of exposed lead bullet nose, in front of a case mouth, leaves out the 45 Colt, in their rather short cylinder's chambers. The 45 Colt chambering may help with using these, with the supplied B.P. blanks, in Mounted CAS, but both the 45 Colt and the 45 c Specials lag behind the old 45 S & W's.

I'm still going to at least try the long sugar loaf, Webley slugs, in my 45 Cowboy brass, as well as to deep seat some of Bill Benny's 250 gr. HB Man Stoppers, in my full length 45 Colt brass.

But I have doubts that either one would be effective beyond 25 yards. And that's certainly O.K., as they were always meant to be short range defense weapons, against warriors with spears and big long knives.

Now, FWIW, the 235 gr soft lead Desperados, flew true enough out to 100 yards, with a lot of Kentucky Windage. But I couldn't see any bullet strikes, out at 200 yards, in the snow. My attempts with using Trail Boss in the short 45 Cowboy brass, yielded results closer to the Ultramax 230 gr. factory loads, in their Schofield cartridges. But I'm relegating these shorty's to the sugar loaf Webleys, LSWC's, and RNFP's of 200 gr. or less, out of over pressure concerns, in my converter cylinder. Too many of the 45 AR and ACP lead loads creep upwards to around 15,000 MAP.

What's still out in limbo, is whether I should send my revolver back to Taylor's and have their G.S. relieve it's tight tolerances, so that I can use Black Powder, in match length shooting strings. I have enough 235 Desperados left to load up a cylinder or two of them over 3F B. P. just to see how they work out at close range, in both my converter and percussion cylinders, ( @ 0.451" ).

These 235 gr. Desperados flubbed in the 45 Colt cases, as their round noses are too close to the chamber mouths in my short 45 Colt chambered Taylor's cylinder. Trying to get a solid roll crimp on a round nosed 45 acp bullet with no crimp groove, got me into trouble. By only "walking out" for a few thousandths, they would stop my cylinder from spinning.

Every load which I used for these tests, is a published one, and most are the starting loads in the Hodgdon's online manual. The Speer #14 Manual provided insights for my use of Trail Boss in the 45 S & W Schofield cases. But here, I wasn't limited by their published C.O.A.L's, in my deeper, Taylor's 45 Colt chambers, with their extra wide 0.519", for the Starline Brass, rim cutouts.

Old Man Winter, is returning for a January visit, here in the Clearwater River valley, so the next stages of these Converter tests may have to wait for a while. I hope that this thread provides some "gist" for shooters with 45 Colt Converter cylinders in their 44 Cap and Ball revolvers.

Using Trail Boss, exclusively, I cleaned out two fifty round boxes, of shorty's, and about half of a twenty five round box of 45 Colt reloads. My chambers now need to be cleaned, but they were still going strong, right up to the end of this shooting session.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts