Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gents I will confess my own stupidity here.:( Yesterday I was in my LGS and spotted a pristine (or so I thought) S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman. The gun is in excellent cosmetic shape, function check was good, and it came with two sets of grips. I bought it and sang a happy tune for several hours...until...as I was watching a football game, the gun was laying on the ottoman in front of me and in the light I noticed a ripple in the barrel. Funny I thought, didn't notice that at the store. A little voice in my head that I have learned to trust said "you better look into that". I took a bore light and to my absolute horror spotted not only a bulge but what appears to be a circumferential fracture around 2/3 of the bore.:eek: I inspected everything under a white lamp and did not see any other stress marks but needless to say this has ruined my weekend. :mad:

I am naturally quite disgusted at myself for not doing due diligence in inspecting the bore. I am also perturbed at my dealer for neglecting to do the same. I have done business at this shop for years and never had an issue. At this point I am not sure how to proceed. My first inclination is to demand a full refund...I wrote a check so a stop payment would put a halt on the money. At the same time I feel somewhat responsible for not finding it before purchasing. I thought about offering to pay the shop whatever dollar amount they invested in it and then sending it to S&W for re-barreling. That way they are not out any money and I still have a nice revolver for close to the same amount as my initial investment. Not sure what to do...any of you folks have any previous experience/insight to share? I would love any counsel you wise sages may provide. Thanks!

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
My very first action would be to contact the LGS. If it was my LGS, they'd want it back... I know they'd make it right.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
+3

If the dealer has any integrity at all, should make it right by you, whether you are a repeat customer or a first time customer. He wouldn't stay in business long if he knew the gun was in that kind of shape before he sold it to you. I'd give the guy a chance to make it right by taking the gun back and politely pointing out the problem.

·
Administrator
23,035 Posts
If they are open today I would take it back and talk to them without anger but with firmness. If you are going to go the legal route and issue a stop on the check then you better do it ASAP because checks clear quickly theses days.

If the LGS is closed today I would call S&W before I went over to talk to him and find out the approximate cost to put it back in usable shape. That way you can negotiate with the info at hand. I wouldn't share it with the LGS immediately. They may want to split the difference on the repair cost which would help some just to put it behind them. That would be a fall back for me and if the LGS took a hard line I would go the stop payment route but it would be better if you could find out if that was necessary today.

·
Registered
102 Posts
defnitely let the gun shop know, someone probably had a squib and fired again then pawned it off on them knowing it was damaged. They need to know in case the same person brings in something else. I would bet there are some good local gunsmiths in TN who could rebarrel a Smith for you at a reasonable price, if not let me know I would be interested in the project myself. (I mean to purchase and do myself, I don't work on anyone elses guns)

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
"I have done business at this shop for years and never had an issue."

That should count for a lot. If this shop is honest and aboveboard they would not knowingly sell a defective firearm that could potentially be dangerous to fire. It sounds like this gun slipped by without them catching the flaw.

I would take it back to them first to see what they will do. Maybe they can send it out for a new barrel, or some other arrangement. I doubt they want to lose a long-term customer over one bad deal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
All the above advice is spot on, IMO. Give the local gun shop a chance and proceed from there. Keep us informed. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
First Action: Contact LGS, give him the chance to "fix it"

Second Action: Depends on the outcome of the First Action.

Good luck and let us know how you make out...

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well...all turned out well. Seems the person who brought the gun in for sale/trade had inherited them and was unaware of the damage as well. The shop owner took the gun back and made the original owner aware who in turn offered up one of the THREE other model 28's he had. He apologized for the problem and is going to have the other one re-barreled. Everybody is happy...much relief on my part. I have never had a problem at this LGS but have heard of other similar issues which led to my distress. Thanks to all for your advice...you're a great bunch!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Thats an awesome outcome man. Stand up move by the shop owner and the seller.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
What a nice outcome. Everyone in this story behaved correctly.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
My very first action would be to contact the LGS. If it was my LGS, they'd want it back... I know they'd make it right.
Sounds like good advice to me,if your a regular customer i am sure they will make it right,my LGS is owned by a very close mate that i spend a lot of time hunting with so it wouldnt be an issue for me ,but i am sure you wont have any problems in getting a good outcome.;).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nice to know that some businesses understand how important the customer is, and will treat them right.

Great news!

Wish the three local gun shops here were like that....

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Glad to hear all worked out for you Gunpoor! Sounds like you dealt with some very straight up folks...nice to hear!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts