Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change out my barrel from a 243 to a 308. Is there anyone making a pre timed barrel for these rifles?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may be able to find a factory .308 barrel. That someone has swapped for a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I found my factory 6.5 barrel on snipers hide forum.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Anyone jump in if I'm incorrect here but. I thought the RPR receiver accepts the same type of barrel as an AR.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Criterion makes drop in barrels, Snipe Custom Arms, Patriot Valley Arms does and I am sure there are more. Simple swap. You need a barrel nut wrench, some no go gauges and that's it. Takes 15 minutes

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No go gauges????
I don't think a AR barrel will work simply because of it not needing a gas port for the action.
I thought about buying a take off barrel, but I have no idea about timing it.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If you want a barrel to be timed (meaning oriented a certain way), then a pre-fit barrel will not work. The barrel nut design lets the smith screw the barrel down against a Go-Gauge to set for proper headspace, then lock in place with the barrel nut, but there's no guarantee that the barrel will time in any certain orientation.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
No go gauges????
I don't think a AR barrel will work simply because of it not needing a gas port for the action.
I thought about buying a take off barrel, but I have no idea about timing it.
A rifle barrel is not "timed" so not even sure what you are talking about. Also, if you are not familiar with go and no go gauges and what they are used for, changing your own barrel is something you should NOT attempt to do. Rifle barrels screw on the action, bottom out and then the chamber is cut, to give proper head space when barrel is tight............Rifles with barrel nuts, like Savages and Ruger RPR, you screw the barrel down until the head space is right and then tighten the barrel nut

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The ones I listed ARE pre-fit barrels, but you STILL have to check the headspace. You don't just screw a barrel on a rifle and call it good. Even if you find a take off 308 barrel for a RPR, the steps to install it don't change.

Rifle barrels come two ways........blank, with just the bore in it and those that are already chambered. If the barrel is not retained by a nut and you buy one chambered, it's a touch long in the back, the Smith measures the head space and trims the barrel to set it. A chambered barrel nut barrel, is ready to go, but you STILL have to set the headspace, you just don't have to fit the barrel to do it.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Short chambered barrels are still out there also - Since I don't have access to a lathe anymore, I buy short chamber barrels and do the finish reaming.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here's one more question. If I take my 243 barrel off, have a 308 barrel installed (by a professional) can I swap back to the 243 without needing to pay to have it done assuming I buy the wrench?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
You won't even need a smith to install the first one. You just need go and no-go gauges, a barrel nut wrench, and an appropriate action vise or rear entry wrench.

Unless you have a muzzle break or fluting, there is nothing to "time" on a Ruger Precision Rifle barrel. Screw it down to the go gauge, tighten the nut, and be done.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Forster offers low-cost go- and no-go gauges.

Black Hole Weaponry will make drop-in barrels for the RPR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Criterion barrels have a good reputation around here as great shooters that won't break the bank; if the 6.5 Creed RPR I just ordered doesn't shoot, I'll probably get a barrel from them. The Pacific Tool and Gauge case gauges can be bought straight from their website for $37, instead of the $49 the run on Midway USA.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/saami-and-related-wildcats-headspace-gauges-nopix-/2555-308-winchester-headspace-gauge.html#/149-choose_gauge_type-go_gauge_green

I think when folks are re-barreling Savages, sometimes instead of buying a no-go gauge, they put 2-3 layers of scotch tape on the bottom of the go gauges to replicate a no-go length.

Here is an interesting video that show's, among other things, someone replacing the barrel on an RPR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx97M1M1L_U

1 - 20 of 21 Posts