Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me 1976 Ruger #1 in 6mm Rem. When I got it from the previous owner, a gunsmith, he gave me about 40 rounds that I fired most of getting to know the rifle. What I learned was that it wasn’t very accurate, so I installed a Hicks #1 Accurizer and went to the range. Now at 50 yards, 3 shot groups are one big hole. I now have a new problem though, it fails to fire occasionally, maybe 3 out of 10 shots. I’m thinking it has to be a firing pin problem but the primers have a normal looking strike on them. I thought it might be a bad batch of primers but it has happened with two different batches, one from my supply and then also with the last few unfired rounds from the previous owner. Does anyone know if this is related to the Accurizer or possibly another problem that showed up when it was installed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
not sure but have your gunsmith check the headspace. that's what it sounds like to me. now the rifle may not have excessive headspace if the reloads set the shoulder back too far so that that loaded round acts like there is an excessive headspace issue. to check, buy a box of various factory ammo and see if there are any FTF with factory ammo. if not, i'd suspect the reloads had their shoulders set back too far.
-tdbru

1 - 2 of 2 Posts