Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to rechamber it to a 30/338 winchester magnum. Should there be concerns about accomplishing this task?

thx,
Gymbow

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd like to rechamber it to a 30/338 winchester magnum. Should there be concerns about accomplishing this task?

thx,
Gymbow
Well...this is embarrassing. I guess it's either not a problem, or nobody's ever done this before.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You can't just rechamber it. The 30/.338 has a larger head diameter so you would have to have the extractor repositioned also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can't just rechamber it. The 30/.338 has a larger head diameter so you would have to have the extractor repositioned also.
Thx for your input. I figured that the extractor would have to be modified or replaced.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
The first consideration should be if the barrel is;

1) Long enough to promote improved velocities.
2) Contoured to allow for shortening or set-backs.
3) Still better than reasonable quality to be worth the conversion.

If the factory barrels is still good the AI would be easier. Set the barrel back one thread, cut and headspace the improved chamber. Another choice would be the .300 Win Mag, you will still need to re-cut the extractors or get new ones and fit them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Simplest thing is as stated - just rechamber to .30-06 Ackley Improved (AI). You can still use factory ammo in it, but you get about a 5% boost in velocity (100 to 150 fps faster).

I know that big magnum, belted case is sexy and can really ramp up the power, but the amount of money spent on conversion would probably be better spent on selling the current gun and just getting a .300 Win Mag. This talks a little bit about what I'm saying: .30-338 (Gale McMillan)

Having said all that, it's your circus and the gun is your monkey, so if a .30-338 is what you just crave in your life, a very good gunsmith could make it happen. You pays your money and you gets what you want. Keep us posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts