Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Ruger 10/22 with a stainless steel barrel and no factory front and rear sights. It is set up to use a scope. I see the barrel has to be cleaned from the front end of the barrel and I am concerned about crown damage. The OD of the front end of the barrel is .55 inch, but I have not been able to find any crown protectors that fit this size barrel. Does anyone know where I can find a .55 inch crown protector for barrel cleaning?

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
threaded barrel? any 1/2x28 screw on...

you can clean from the back of the receiver if you have a hole drilled out... there are jigs available, but do a search here and you'll find your answer

if you use a bore snake you won't hurt the muzzle by dragging a lubed patch through for cleaning...

just my $0.02...

if you want to, you can get a specific 'protector' (there's also a bull barrel version):

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014694012

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The barrel is not threaded. I will try and find the hole drilling instructions you recommended.

Thanks

threaded barrel? any 1/2x28 screw on...

you can clean from the back of the receiver if you have a hole drilled out... there are jigs available, but do a search here and you'll find your answer

if you use a bore snake you won't hurt the muzzle by dragging a lubed patch through for cleaning...

just my $0.02...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,434 Posts
I use an "inside" bore guide. I make my own on a mini-lathe but you can buy them from Dewey.

Here's a photo of some of my handgun cleaning rods. Rifle rods are the same, just longer.

The second from the top is for a 22 cal. Note the cone shaped slider on the rod … it's a bore guide. You hold the bore guide with one hand while you push/pull the rod through the bore. If you use it properly, you will never damage the crown, in fact it will keep the bore brush or jag centered in the bore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I checked the Dewey site, but I could not find these.

I use an "inside" bore guide. I make my own on a mini-lathe but you can buy them from Dewey.

Here's a photo of some of my handgun cleaning rods. Rifle rods are the same, just longer.

The second from the top is for a 22 cal. Note the cone shaped slider on the rod … it's a bore guide. You hold the bore guide with one hand while you push/pull the rod through the bore. If you use it properly, you will never damage the crown, in fact it will keep the bore brush or jag centered in the bore.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
How about getting a carbon-fiber cleaning rod? I have both the long and short versions and wish I had known about them a while ago.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I think the one I have came from Pro Shot. Cone shaped and fits on a 17-22 cleaning rod. I don’t use it as much recently as I use my fingers to keep the cleaning rod from scraping the crown.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
GP Fan, Funny …. the photo in your reference is mine. I posted it here on the Ruger Forum, Post #13 in this thread: https://rugerforum.net/maintenance/350049-how-clean-bore-new-10-22-rifle.html
Great, always happy to reference expert advice!

Actually I used that photo for reference when I drilled my 10/22. I also saw several different layouts where the distance from the base of the receiver to the hole's center varied from your 0.775 to 0.810 or so. I split the difference at 0.800 and it's worked well

·
Registered
122 Posts
I use a brass rod & crown protector on all my semi autos. The hole drilled in the back of the receiver prob works fine, but I would never drill a hole in my beloved 90's 10/22.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,434 Posts
GP Fan, 1/4" (.25) hole, 13/64" (.203) cleaning rod, that's a .047" difference, +or- .023".... in other words, not critical. With the bolt removed from my 10/22 custom build in the photo, I can look in the muzzle and see an unobstructed path from the muzzle through the rear of the receiver ….. so the hole can't be too far off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The boresnake has always worked well for me when cleaning the 10/22. It allows you to clean from the breach without taking the gun apart.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/hoppes-boresnake-bore-cleaner-for-22-caliber-rifles

Even if you drill the hole in the back of the receiver, you will have to take the receiver out of the stock and remove the bolt to clean. And when you reassemble, the gun may or may not shoot to point of aim (i.e., you might need to sight it in again.) That's tedious for occasional cleaning. (For annual "deep cleaning" it is fine.)

BORESNAKE is your friend :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Web link to drill hole in 10/22 receiver

I found the web link you need at MidwayUSA to purchase a drill bit kit to drill a hole in your 10/22 receiver. Just go to MidwayUSA and do a search on "Gunsmither Tools Ruger 10/22 Cleaning Rod Hole Drilling Fixture":D

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are several methods.
(1) Gun Snakes -- mine come with brass weight on the front end. These should not damage the crown of your barrel.
(2) Brass, fibre, etc. rods are made for cleaning firearms and can be found in varying lengths. Amazon.com, Midway.com carry these. My LGS does also.
(3) Cones to protect the crown of the barrel are also available from a variety of dealers. I found a plastic from a LGS but you can also purchase brass cones. Midway.com and Amazon.com also carry these. IIRC, Dewey makes these also.

Each option listed will protect the crown of the barrel if used properly and I am sure that there are other options.

HTH

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
With the bolt removed from my 10/22 custom build in the photo, I can look in the muzzle and see an unobstructed path from the muzzle through the rear of the receiver ….. so the hole can't be too far off.
I can see right through the bore of mine too so, as you say, the hole can't be that far off. As you note, the accuracy of the hole placement isn't that critical.

·
Banned
388 Posts
Everyone is over thinking this, the barrel is steel and MOST cleaning rods and tips are brass! Last time I checked brass is WAY softer than steel. Not an issue.

Also, I have worked for a 30+ year gunsmith for the last 7 years and I have never seen a barrel worn out because of cleaning without guide, nor have I heard the owner say he has either!

Biggest thing I would suggest, don't use lead tipped ammo that way you are not stuck trying to de-lead your barrel. Just be careful when cleaning and don't go crazy, you will be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What does Volquartzen recommend??

I have a Volquartzen barrel on my 10/22. I asked the gunsmith there what he recommended for cleaning. He said they use the Bore Snake at the shop and recommend it for 10/22 cleaning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts