Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
My wife just got me my first rifle, a Ruger ITAC. Never having owned a rifle, I was a little curious as to what I should do when it arrives tomorrow. My dad said, I should always clean a new firearm just as you would a dirty one in the beginning, to lube everything up. I bought an Otis Tactical Cleaning kit, otis 3 piece brush set (includes white nylon, blue nylon and copper), and breakfree clp in a spray bottle, and a little bottle of rem oil. So my questions are as follows.

Should I avoid getting any oil on the black plastic type of material that is all on the rifle?

The barrel is stainless on this gun, how do you clean it without scratching it up? Should I avoid the copper brush?

The BX 25 magazine, should i squirt some Breakfree CLP into it as well to lube it up?

I have read about changing out extractor springs and load springs, but my gun shop says the gun is fine the way it is, and to keep it stock unless things are occurring. Should i ask them to change these regardless?

Any other tips, suggestions or not to do's for a first time guy like myself?

Thank you very much for all of your help. I am happy to become a part of this forum. I have already learned alot from reading through threads. Pete

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Should I avoid getting any oil on the black plastic type of material that is all on the rifle?

Don't worry about it. If you're concerned then put a test drop in an inconspicuous place and see.

The barrel is stainless on this gun, how do you clean it without scratching it up? Should I avoid the copper brush?

The steel is much tougher than a copper brush. Don't worry.

The BX 25 magazine, should i squirt some Breakfree CLP into it as well to lube it up?

"Squirting" any kind of lube on a firearm is disturbing to me. Go to Ruger's web site and look at the disassembly and cleaning videos. If you use the CLP (Clean Lubricate Protect) you can probably forego the Remoil but that's a personal preference. The spray bottle is for convenience in dispensing CLP on a brush or cloth, not for hosing down the parts of the firearm. Remember, too much lubrication in the action can cause wear by attracting gun residue and dirt and dust which creates an abrasive paste. Less is often more.

I have read about changing out extractor springs and load springs, but my gun shop says the gun is fine the way it is, and to keep it stock unless things are occurring. Should i ask them to change these regardless?

I don't think so. Keep your money for ammo right now and just go shoot shoot shoot and have fun. You might want to add some custom parts later on but you sure don't need them day one. Looking at it another way, wait until you are comfortable in taking your firearm apart and DO IT YOURSELF.

Any other tips, suggestions or not to do's for a first time guy like myself?

Spend some time trying different brands and types of ammo in it until you find the ones your 10/22 likes the best. You'll be surprised at how some are much more accurate than others and each rifle has it's own favorite.

Be careful not to over lubricate. Keep things clean and wiped down. Enjoy learning how to field strip it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you tater, that was a great reply. Will take all you have said and learn from it. Thanks for telling me not to spray the gun directly and that the copper won't scratch the outside of the barrels. Any more tips let me know. I am off to watch more videos. Thanks again Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts