Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger TARGET 10/22 jams with HYPER VELOCITY 1450fps ammo but works great with anything under 1250fps. Standard Ruger Target Bolt, springs, etc...

I believe the problem is that the HYPER VELOCITY AMMO is pushing the bolt back so hard that the bolt bounces back forward too fast causing the bullet being fed to catch the edge of the chamber - the bullet gets a big gash in the led and the cartridge buckles. Should have taken a picture of it.

I can shoot 100 rounds of match sub-sonic to 1250fps out of multiple mags and have no problems. But 2 or 3 out of 10 shots of the 1450fps AQUILA will jam. Obviously the easy thing is not to shoot the 1450 AQUILA in the semi-auto and just use it in my Savage bolt action or Marlin Levers.

I know that KIDD offers springs in various strengths but I hate to have to change springs based on what ammo I am shooting.

Anyone else have a similar problem or is this particular 10/20 TARGET sensitive to ammo speed?

The rifle in question is the one at the top. The bottom one has all Volquartsen trigger, buffer, bolt, and springs and never jams on anything...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
ddahlgren is right, the ammo you are using is the same in length as a .22 stinger. Great in a regular barreled 10/22, but not to be used in a target barrel 10/22.
From page 17 of the manual:
WARNING – “STINGER” AMMUNITION
"Stinger” cartridges have a longer case than 22 LR cartridges loaded to U.S. Industry specifications. They can stick in the tighter chambers of target rifles, including the Ruger 10/22 Target and Tactical rifles, which can result in a hazardous ruptured case and release of hot powder gasses and brass when fired.
DO NOT USE “STINGER” AMMUNITION IN 10/22 TARGET or TACTICAL RIFLES

You're not the first to not understand this and definitely you won't be the last.
People do get confused because since some manufacturers do not label their ammo as stinger but the case size is "STINGER" size which is the problem.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yup, as stated above, the Target has a match chamber. It like standard velocity ammo best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts