Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a review of different types of ruger 10/22 magazines, if anyone is interested.

So far my results are the BX1 mags are the most reliable, and I have tried a couple kinds of mag couplers (cheap ebay ones, and the tandemkross doublekross which I highly recommend), I tried the BX-15, BX-25, and the Butler Creek 25/22 mags.

The BX15 and BX25 have some feeding issued wit a couple types of rounds (Mainly flat nose hollowpoints, and CCI AR tactical 22lr)

The Butler creek ones seem to not have a ton of spring tension, one will not 100% rebound when I'm loading it. Hopefully they'll loosen up or I'll try to drip a little oil on the spring.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for a great review. I just acquired a 10/22 and have been wondering about additional magazines.....you answered my questions !
Glad I could help someone

·
Registered
243 Posts
i went the whole route: BX15, BX25, and 110-round ATI drum... they all work, but most reliable are the BX mags... i use dual- and tri-mag couplers with my BX mags and that works great

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did a review of different types of ruger 10/22 magazines, if anyone is interested.

So far my results are the BX1 mags are the most reliable, and I have tried a couple kinds of mag couplers (cheap ebay ones, and the tandemkross doublekross which I highly recommend), I tried the BX-15, BX-25, and the Butler Creek 25/22 mags.

The BX15 and BX25 have some feeding issued wit a couple types of rounds (Mainly flat nose hollowpoints, and CCI AR tactical 22lr)

The Butler creek ones seem to not have a ton of spring tension, one will not 100% rebound when I'm loading it. Hopefully they'll loosen up or I'll try to drip a little oil on the
Nice review but you did not mention the TI25 from Tactical Innovations, I feel it is better than the mags you reviewed, that's my opinion though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well unless TI started making them again it’s not really an option.
I heard great things about them, but I think they lost their overseas supplier for parts and that was the end. They had the right idea.
My experience is the same, BX1s will feed anything, and BX15s and GSG 110 round drum runs round nose copper wash just fine but not with all bulk rounds or hollow points. I find I’m using my BX1s a lot more than I thought. The Maglula loader comes in handy too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I guess people are lookin for a cheaper alternative to the BX1. Cheaper is availible, but dependability doesn't come with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i went the whole route: BX15, BX25, and 110-round ATI drum... they all work, but most reliable are the BX mags... i use dual- and tri-mag couplers with my BX mags and that works great

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
I do like the tri-mag couplers I have a several with the Ruger 10 rounders and all work great in the 10-22 take down and the charger but the bx-25 mags did not work well for me. I'm looking to get another 10-22 stainless take down as I let my friend get mine away from me for a trade I getting a model 77 -22 he getting my take down 10-22 I'm planning on trading the Charger for another 10-22 providing there ever will be any more gun shows here in WA state as the lgs's here are bare of anything but big bore rifles and Alaska caliber type handguns and no available ammo.

·
Registered
37 Posts

The Butler creek ones seem to not have a ton of spring tension, one will not 100% rebound when I'm loading it. Hopefully they'll loosen up or I'll try to drip a little oil on the spring.
What kind of 10/22 are you running them in? Stock carbine? Or something more custom? Match chamber? Benz? Stock?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,956 Posts
BX1 (10 round) magazines are the only ones that are rotary. The high capacity mags (BX-15, 25, or other brands of hi-caps) are in-line with a "ribbon spring" for follower tension. Herein lies the problem .... any cartridge that has waxed bullets or any cartridge that does not glide in the magazine's internal channel is subject to binding due to the weak ribbon spring. In rotary magazines, there is a rotor with 10 defined slots .... one for each cartridge, plus it has a variable tension "rotary clock" spring so there's no way it can suffer from binding like a hi-cap. The BX-1 is the best magazine design ever made .... no matter what type of feeding system is used .... tube, drum, clip, or belt. It works just as good when it is filthy dirty as it does when sparkling clean.

RHazmat, Since the very first 10/22 was made, every one made since then has used the same magazines. Sometimes there is a slight variation in magazine size due to the mold used to cast the body. An obstruction from the stock's magazine well is usually the culprit that puts the magazine in a bind and causes the gun to feed wonky. This is NOT a magazine issue, rather it is a quality control issue with the 10/22 itself that can be remedied with a rasp and a few minutes time. Sometimes the magazine well is too large, which allows the magazine to move around and cause feeding problems. In this case, a piece of tape inside the magazine well will take up the slack and allow the magazine to feed properly. If you have a 10/22 with a magazine well problem, probably every magazine you try is going to have the same feeding problems.

Bentz chambers in match grade barrels introduce a new problem. Bentz chambers are tight and are intended for match grade ammo that have very uniform .222" bullets. Normal high velocity cartridges can have bullet diameters as large as .225" that just won't feed in a Bentz chamber without being forced. So .... if you have a Bentz chamber, you will have more trouble free feeding when match grade ammo is used. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the magazine, it's strictly the diameter of the bullets. My 20" Green Mountain bull barrel has a Bentz chamber and it also has a caution stamped on the barrel "chambered cartridges may not manually extract". This is a clue that I learned the hard way after experiencing many failures to feed with my favorite CCI Mini-Mags. Once I started using Wolf match grade ammo, my feeding problems went away and accuracy was vastly improved. My other three 10/22s have factory barrels with loose chambers. They will reliably feed virtually any brand of 22 LRs but aren't as accurate as barrels with Bentz chambers.

The point of the above rhetoric .... if you have feeding problems, try a 10 rounder. If that doesn't fix the problem, likely you have an issue with the stock's magazine well. If you have a Bentz chamber, make sure you use match grade ammo.

Here's a thread (post #11) that dates back to 2012 but is still true today: BX-25 not feeding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BX1 (10 round) magazines are the only ones that are rotary. The high capacity mags (BX-15, 25, or other brands of hi-caps) are in-line with a "ribbon spring" for follower tension. Herein lies the problem .... any cartridge that has waxed bullets or any cartridge that does not glide in the magazine's internal channel is subject to binding due to the weak ribbon spring. In rotary magazines, there is a rotor with 10 defined slots .... one for each cartridge, plus it has a variable tension "rotary clock" spring so there's no way it can suffer from binding like a hi-cap. The BX-1 is the best magazine design ever made .... no matter what type of feeding system is used .... tube, drum, clip, or belt. It works just as good when it is filthy dirty as it does when sparkling clean.

RHazmat, Since the very first 10/22 was made, every one made since then has used the same magazines. Sometimes there is a slight variation in magazine size due to the mold used to cast the body. An obstruction from the stock's magazine well is usually the culprit that puts the magazine in a bind and causes the gun to feed wonky. This is NOT a magazine issue, rather it is a quality control issue with the 10/22 itself that can be remedied with a rasp and a few minutes time. Sometimes the magazine well is too large, which allows the magazine to move around and cause feeding problems. In this case, a piece of tape inside the magazine well will take up the slack and allow the magazine to feed properly. If you have a 10/22 with a magazine well problem, probably every magazine you try is going to have the same feeding problems.

Bentz chambers in match grade barrels introduce a new problem. Bentz chambers are tight and are intended for match grade ammo that have very uniform .222" bullets. Normal high velocity cartridges can have bullet diameters as large as .225" that just won't feed in a Bentz chamber without being forced. So .... if you have a Bentz chamber, you will have more trouble free feeding when match grade ammo is used. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the magazine, it's strictly the diameter of the bullets. My 20" Green Mountain bull barrel has a Bentz chamber and it also has a caution stamped on the barrel "chambered cartridges may not manually extract". This is a clue that I learned the hard way after experiencing many failures to feed with my favorite CCI Mini-Mags. Once I started using Wolf match grade ammo, my feeding problems went away and accuracy was vastly improved. My other three 10/22s have factory barrels with loose chambers. They will reliably feed virtually any brand of 22 LRs but aren't as accurate as barrels with Bentz chambers.

The point of the above rhetoric .... if you have feeding problems, try a 10 rounder. If that doesn't fix the problem, likely you have an issue with the stock's magazine well. If you have a Bentz chamber, make sure you use match grade ammo.

Here's a thread (post #11) that dates back to 2012 but is still true today: BX-25 not feeding.
Not sure why I was given a history lesson lol, because I'm very well aware of these issues, which is why I was asking him what type of rifle he's using to test these magazines out with. As you've said, things like the chamber and mag well make a huge difference. My custom 10/22 has a Bentz chamber, and other than stingers it eats everything I feed it from my BX-25 mags except for stingers of course. Then again, all I really feed it is CCI standard, Mini Mags, Federal bulk, and Aguila.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ah RHazmat--Iowegan is a walking, breathing encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to gun things, he not only was informing you, but to a multitude of others who may read this thread. I for one am glad he posts and shares what he knows. Don't take offense, he was not trying to insult your knowledge on the subject. Keep it up Iowegan, just keep it up, appreciate ya!!!

In reference to the threads subject of 10-22 magazine's, I've been using Ruger BX 25 rounders since the fall of 2012 in both of my 10-22's, one a early 90's buy and the other around 2005 or so purchase, haven't had any of the ills I've read here and there on them. Well pleased with them. Prior to the BX's, I used 6 Butler Creek 25 rd mag's with the red plastic tops/lips and never had a problem with those even after 1000's of rounds, they look used, but are still reliable and use them. The only problem I have with feeding is when the interior of the 10-22's start to build up with fouling and other crud and that's my clue to do a good cleaning. I haven't bought a Butler Creek since the 90's so can't be a witness to their pros/cons in 2020, have no problem with the ones I have.

·
16,956 Posts
Hog, Thanks! I guess some people just don't see it that way.

Reactions: Katahdin 22

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure why I was given a history lesson lol, because I'm very well aware of these issues, which is why I was asking him what type of rifle he's using to test these magazines out with. As you've said, things like the chamber and mag well make a huge difference. My custom 10/22 has a Bentz chamber, and other than stingers it eats everything I feed it from my BX-25 mags except for stingers of course. Then again, all I really feed it is CCI standard, Mini Mags, Federal bulk, and Aguila.
I didnt take offense, I just didnt understand why the history lesson was needed when clearly that's what I was getting at by asking the OP what kind of setup he had as that could be why hes having problems.

Dont read too much into things friend :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
And back to the mag review...

So how many different mags are there? I spent a few minutes surfing and found these. OMG...

Ruger's bx-1, bx-25, bx1-5 5rd, bx1-1single shot, bx-15, bx-25 clear, bx-1 clear, bx-25 x2.

Then there's the Butler Creek Hot Lips and Steel Lips.

Champion 25rd.

GSG 110rd drum.

ProMag 10rd, 25rd 32rd, and the ProMag drums in 30rd, 50rd, 55rd and 70rd.

The MWG 50rd is a completely different design.

Shooters Ridge 25rd with its own loader

And the overachieving TI25 from Tactical Innovations mentioned above.

Seems like I saw another similar to an AR-15 mag and I'm sure there must be plenty more.

TripleKross and Double Kross mag bodies to put the insides of other mags into them.

And then there's many videos explain the fixes for stubborn mags, mostly say to disassemble and remove any molding imperfections, then add a little dry lube.

Wow, there are lots of options out there.

Ttyl

·
Registered
882 Posts
Eight months later, I'm going to revive this (ostensibly) necro-thread with a simple question most relevant to me and my 10/22. Now that I've decided to keep my 10/22 -- yes, I explored selling it, but that's been outlined in detail in other threads -- I'm upgrading it with a new Hogue stock (should arrive by weekend), more (larger) inserts for my Tech Sights, and am considering adding a BX-15. I think for my needs, a 15'er will be far better than a BX-25.

Reading @Iowegan's post #11 (above in this thread) answered one other question I had about the larger (than BX-1) mags that I had -- the mechanics involved. (We are lucky to have such a knowledgable person on this forum.)

And I think my other question was addressed earlier in the thread, but I want to double check.

Right now, and really since I've owned it (a little over 2 years), I shoot CCI Velocitors exclusively in it. (Right now, with ammo "shortage" -- read unavailability -- I have no choice; but I do wish to try some CCI Copper 22 when they come available again.)

To my question: are the Velocitors likely to cause any problems in a BX-15? They are copper plated -- which if I understand correctly is good for these mags -- but they are hollow point.

Same question with the Copper 22, which are copper/polymer matrix (which from my experience with similar bullets in 9mm, are a bit more lubed), but with a hollow point.

·
16,956 Posts
Kathdin, What works and what doesn't work in hi-cap magazines (yes, a 15er is a hi-cap) is more related to how much bullet lube they have. It' just a friction issue inside the magazine where some bullet designs flow in the channel much better (or worse) than other brands. You can take the magazine apart then put some cartridges in the channel. Using the magazine follower, you can see how they feed and what makes them stall.

CCI Velocitors are "hyper velocity" meaning velocity is rated much higher than normal high velocity ammo such as CCI Mini-Mags (1200 fps). As I recall, Velocitors chronograph over 1400 fps in a 18.5" barreled 10/22. With extra velocity and power. you also get more bolt thrust than the 10/22 was designed for. Will it break your gun? Probably not but long term use will take its toll on internal wear.

Reactions: Katahdin 22

·
Registered
882 Posts
@Iowegan, thanks. Useful information as always. I get it (said the biologist who's not a gunsmith, and understands just enough about the mechanical aspects of guns to shoot one and keep it clean, but not much more).

One question (for now). Is it easy enough (for dummies) to take a magazine apart? I've never done that, let alone on a BX-1 or 15. Never had to. I've always cleaned my guns in a dedicated way whether they need it or not. I'm soon to finally get my 10/22 out to the "range" (down in the woods by the marsh with a back drop of a couple of big down trees) to sight in new sights. I haven't shot it since after I last cleaned it -- over a year ago (the last year was an unexpected whirlwind). But I'm going to clean and lube it anyway before I sight in the new sights. I want that puppy singing.

Most would say it's just not needed. But for me, it's sort of training, to keep me familiar with the inside. Something about that helps me shoot better. Go figure.

But I've never taken a magazine down to clean. Is it easy to figure out -- maybe some manual pages that I overlooked -- or is there a tutorial called "Magazine Cleaning for Dummies"?

Re the Velocitors. Thanks for that reminder about hyper-velocity rounds. I knew that when I researched the 10/22 before purchase, but had forgotten. I went with Velocitors at the time mainly because -- believe it or not -- when I bought that gun, it was my only gun <readers gasp> (yeah, long, terrible story, but I'll spare you) and I wanted it for both small game and HD. Researching ammo for those, one name came up more than others: CCI Velocitors. So I bought a bunch after I found that my 10/22 likes it at 15 - 25 yds. Then, due to the year long whirlwind (now dissipating), I never got around to trying other ammo.

Now of course, we live in the ammo desert and I can't. So many different rounds, so little time. <sigh> Hopefully that'll change in my lifetime.

But at least I've got "lots" of Velocitors. I won't say how many because lots would scoff at it. But I'm a low round count kind of guy. Even in good times, I shoot low numbers. I don't plink unless it's explicitly part of my minute of squirrel head training. I make every shot count.

So hopefully, even if I can't get any standard or high velocity ammo soon, I still won't cause much wear on my 10/22 with the Velociraptor ammo (misspelling intended).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts