Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a review of different types of ruger 10/22 magazines, if anyone is interested.

So far my results are the BX1 mags are the most reliable, and I have tried a couple kinds of mag couplers (cheap ebay ones, and the tandemkross doublekross which I highly recommend), I tried the BX-15, BX-25, and the Butler Creek 25/22 mags.

The BX15 and BX25 have some feeding issued wit a couple types of rounds (Mainly flat nose hollowpoints, and CCI AR tactical 22lr)

The Butler creek ones seem to not have a ton of spring tension, one will not 100% rebound when I'm loading it. Hopefully they'll loosen up or I'll try to drip a little oil on the spring.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for a great review. I just acquired a 10/22 and have been wondering about additional magazines.....you answered my questions !
Glad I could help someone

·
Registered
230 Posts
i went the whole route: BX15, BX25, and 110-round ATI drum... they all work, but most reliable are the BX mags... i use dual- and tri-mag couplers with my BX mags and that works great

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did a review of different types of ruger 10/22 magazines, if anyone is interested.

So far my results are the BX1 mags are the most reliable, and I have tried a couple kinds of mag couplers (cheap ebay ones, and the tandemkross doublekross which I highly recommend), I tried the BX-15, BX-25, and the Butler Creek 25/22 mags.

The BX15 and BX25 have some feeding issued wit a couple types of rounds (Mainly flat nose hollowpoints, and CCI AR tactical 22lr)

The Butler creek ones seem to not have a ton of spring tension, one will not 100% rebound when I'm loading it. Hopefully they'll loosen up or I'll try to drip a little oil on the
Nice review but you did not mention the TI25 from Tactical Innovations, I feel it is better than the mags you reviewed, that's my opinion though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well unless TI started making them again it’s not really an option.
I heard great things about them, but I think they lost their overseas supplier for parts and that was the end. They had the right idea.
My experience is the same, BX1s will feed anything, and BX15s and GSG 110 round drum runs round nose copper wash just fine but not with all bulk rounds or hollow points. I find I’m using my BX1s a lot more than I thought. The Maglula loader comes in handy too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I guess people are lookin for a cheaper alternative to the BX1. Cheaper is availible, but dependability doesn't come with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i went the whole route: BX15, BX25, and 110-round ATI drum... they all work, but most reliable are the BX mags... i use dual- and tri-mag couplers with my BX mags and that works great

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
I do like the tri-mag couplers I have a several with the Ruger 10 rounders and all work great in the 10-22 take down and the charger but the bx-25 mags did not work well for me. I'm looking to get another 10-22 stainless take down as I let my friend get mine away from me for a trade I getting a model 77 -22 he getting my take down 10-22 I'm planning on trading the Charger for another 10-22 providing there ever will be any more gun shows here in WA state as the lgs's here are bare of anything but big bore rifles and Alaska caliber type handguns and no available ammo.

·
Registered
13 Posts

The Butler creek ones seem to not have a ton of spring tension, one will not 100% rebound when I'm loading it. Hopefully they'll loosen up or I'll try to drip a little oil on the spring.
What kind of 10/22 are you running them in? Stock carbine? Or something more custom? Match chamber? Benz? Stock?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,181 Posts
BX1 (10 round) magazines are the only ones that are rotary. The high capacity mags (BX-15, 25, or other brands of hi-caps) are in-line with a "ribbon spring" for follower tension. Herein lies the problem .... any cartridge that has waxed bullets or any cartridge that does not glide in the magazine's internal channel is subject to binding due to the weak ribbon spring. In rotary magazines, there is a rotor with 10 defined slots .... one for each cartridge, plus it has a variable tension "rotary clock" spring so there's no way it can suffer from binding like a hi-cap. The BX-1 is the best magazine design ever made .... no matter what type of feeding system is used .... tube, drum, clip, or belt. It works just as good when it is filthy dirty as it does when sparkling clean.

RHazmat, Since the very first 10/22 was made, every one made since then has used the same magazines. Sometimes there is a slight variation in magazine size due to the mold used to cast the body. An obstruction from the stock's magazine well is usually the culprit that puts the magazine in a bind and causes the gun to feed wonky. This is NOT a magazine issue, rather it is a quality control issue with the 10/22 itself that can be remedied with a rasp and a few minutes time. Sometimes the magazine well is too large, which allows the magazine to move around and cause feeding problems. In this case, a piece of tape inside the magazine well will take up the slack and allow the magazine to feed properly. If you have a 10/22 with a magazine well problem, probably every magazine you try is going to have the same feeding problems.

Bentz chambers in match grade barrels introduce a new problem. Bentz chambers are tight and are intended for match grade ammo that have very uniform .222" bullets. Normal high velocity cartridges can have bullet diameters as large as .225" that just won't feed in a Bentz chamber without being forced. So .... if you have a Bentz chamber, you will have more trouble free feeding when match grade ammo is used. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the magazine, it's strictly the diameter of the bullets. My 20" Green Mountain bull barrel has a Bentz chamber and it also has a caution stamped on the barrel "chambered cartridges may not manually extract". This is a clue that I learned the hard way after experiencing many failures to feed with my favorite CCI Mini-Mags. Once I started using Wolf match grade ammo, my feeding problems went away and accuracy was vastly improved. My other three 10/22s have factory barrels with loose chambers. They will reliably feed virtually any brand of 22 LRs but aren't as accurate as barrels with Bentz chambers.

The point of the above rhetoric .... if you have feeding problems, try a 10 rounder. If that doesn't fix the problem, likely you have an issue with the stock's magazine well. If you have a Bentz chamber, make sure you use match grade ammo.

Here's a thread (post #11) that dates back to 2012 but is still true today: BX-25 not feeding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
BX1 (10 round) magazines are the only ones that are rotary. The high capacity mags (BX-15, 25, or other brands of hi-caps) are in-line with a "ribbon spring" for follower tension. Herein lies the problem .... any cartridge that has waxed bullets or any cartridge that does not glide in the magazine's internal channel is subject to binding due to the weak ribbon spring. In rotary magazines, there is a rotor with 10 defined slots .... one for each cartridge, plus it has a variable tension "rotary clock" spring so there's no way it can suffer from binding like a hi-cap. The BX-1 is the best magazine design ever made .... no matter what type of feeding system is used .... tube, drum, clip, or belt. It works just as good when it is filthy dirty as it does when sparkling clean.

RHazmat, Since the very first 10/22 was made, every one made since then has used the same magazines. Sometimes there is a slight variation in magazine size due to the mold used to cast the body. An obstruction from the stock's magazine well is usually the culprit that puts the magazine in a bind and causes the gun to feed wonky. This is NOT a magazine issue, rather it is a quality control issue with the 10/22 itself that can be remedied with a rasp and a few minutes time. Sometimes the magazine well is too large, which allows the magazine to move around and cause feeding problems. In this case, a piece of tape inside the magazine well will take up the slack and allow the magazine to feed properly. If you have a 10/22 with a magazine well problem, probably every magazine you try is going to have the same feeding problems.

Bentz chambers in match grade barrels introduce a new problem. Bentz chambers are tight and are intended for match grade ammo that have very uniform .222" bullets. Normal high velocity cartridges can have bullet diameters as large as .225" that just won't feed in a Bentz chamber without being forced. So .... if you have a Bentz chamber, you will have more trouble free feeding when match grade ammo is used. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the magazine, it's strictly the diameter of the bullets. My 20" Green Mountain bull barrel has a Bentz chamber and it also has a caution stamped on the barrel "chambered cartridges may not manually extract". This is a clue that I learned the hard way after experiencing many failures to feed with my favorite CCI Mini-Mags. Once I started using Wolf match grade ammo, my feeding problems went away and accuracy was vastly improved. My other three 10/22s have factory barrels with loose chambers. They will reliably feed virtually any brand of 22 LRs but aren't as accurate as barrels with Bentz chambers.

The point of the above rhetoric .... if you have feeding problems, try a 10 rounder. If that doesn't fix the problem, likely you have an issue with the stock's magazine well. If you have a Bentz chamber, make sure you use match grade ammo.

Here's a thread (post #11) that dates back to 2012 but is still true today: BX-25 not feeding.
Not sure why I was given a history lesson lol, because I'm very well aware of these issues, which is why I was asking him what type of rifle he's using to test these magazines out with. As you've said, things like the chamber and mag well make a huge difference. My custom 10/22 has a Bentz chamber, and other than stingers it eats everything I feed it from my BX-25 mags except for stingers of course. Then again, all I really feed it is CCI standard, Mini Mags, Federal bulk, and Aguila.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts