Ruger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,956 Posts
You probably won't have to take your 10 rounder apart .... they tend to work just as well when they are dirty as when clean. The 15 and 25 rounders are a different story. I posted a "how to" in the forum Library titled 10/22 BX-25 Magazines that gives you the blow by blow details for cleaning. It's really very easy and only takes a few minutes. Here's a link: 10/22 BX-25 Magazines | Ruger Forum

Reactions: Katahdin 22

·
Registered
10 Posts
BX1 (10 round) magazines are the only ones that are rotary. The high capacity mags (BX-15, 25, or other brands of hi-caps) are in-line with a "ribbon spring" for follower tension. Herein lies the problem .... any cartridge that has waxed bullets or any cartridge that does not glide in the magazine's internal channel is subject to binding due to the weak ribbon spring. In rotary magazines, there is a rotor with 10 defined slots .... one for each cartridge, plus it has a variable tension "rotary clock" spring so there's no way it can suffer from binding like a hi-cap. The BX-1 is the best magazine design ever made .... no matter what type of feeding system is used .... tube, drum, clip, or belt. It works just as good when it is filthy dirty as it does when sparkling clean.

RHazmat, Since the very first 10/22 was made, every one made since then has used the same magazines. Sometimes there is a slight variation in magazine size due to the mold used to cast the body. An obstruction from the stock's magazine well is usually the culprit that puts the magazine in a bind and causes the gun to feed wonky. This is NOT a magazine issue, rather it is a quality control issue with the 10/22 itself that can be remedied with a rasp and a few minutes time. Sometimes the magazine well is too large, which allows the magazine to move around and cause feeding problems. In this case, a piece of tape inside the magazine well will take up the slack and allow the magazine to feed properly. If you have a 10/22 with a magazine well problem, probably every magazine you try is going to have the same feeding problems.

Bentz chambers in match grade barrels introduce a new problem. Bentz chambers are tight and are intended for match grade ammo that have very uniform .222" bullets. Normal high velocity cartridges can have bullet diameters as large as .225" that just won't feed in a Bentz chamber without being forced. So .... if you have a Bentz chamber, you will have more trouble free feeding when match grade ammo is used. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the magazine, it's strictly the diameter of the bullets. My 20" Green Mountain bull barrel has a Bentz chamber and it also has a caution stamped on the barrel "chambered cartridges may not manually extract". This is a clue that I learned the hard way after experiencing many failures to feed with my favorite CCI Mini-Mags. Once I started using Wolf match grade ammo, my feeding problems went away and accuracy was vastly improved. My other three 10/22s have factory barrels with loose chambers. They will reliably feed virtually any brand of 22 LRs but aren't as accurate as barrels with Bentz chambers.

The point of the above rhetoric .... if you have feeding problems, try a 10 rounder. If that doesn't fix the problem, likely you have an issue with the stock's magazine well. If you have a Bentz chamber, make sure you use match grade ammo.

Here's a thread (post #11) that dates back to 2012 but is still true today: BX-25 not feeding.
Thanks for this info. I've been on a mission to upgrade to a .920 with a Bentz. With the current ammo situation, I'll probably hold off and enjoy my factory barrel until availability improves. (Might be a while)

·
16,956 Posts
Streetwalker, Some people will argue about anything. I believe we were discussing 10/22s not Chargers. A standard magazine for a 10/22 is a BX-1, 10 round. Just because some guns are shipped with larger capacity magazine, it doesn't make them standard. The shooting industry's standard is anything over 10 rounds is considered high capacity.

Don't try to stir the pot on this forum with your antigun rhetoric!

·
Super Moderator
22,035 Posts
So it's a 10/22 now the 22 I presume is 22 LR now what does the 10 stand for hmmm.

·
16,956 Posts
Wait for it ...... could it possibly be 10 rounds?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Wow. The sheer genius of the name alone -- 10/22 -- is just mind boggling.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I ordered one of these today; see image below. Looking forward to exploring it a bit, complete with take down to see how it works. I'm curious that way.

Also ordered extra aperture sizes for my Tech Sights (I got the 200's) -- I want a bit more of a ghost ring than the standard peep aperture offers -- and one of their wrenches; may not need it, but better safe than sorry.

I ordered its new Hogue stock in Dark Tan yesterday. I've owned Hogue grips on handguns -- loved them; big difference in performance -- but this is my first rifle stock by them. Based on my past experience, I expect a big difference even with minor differences in dimensions, shape and texture.

My 10/22's getting a make over, and I'm betting it's not merely about looking good. Color me excited.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I ordered one of these today; see image below. Looking forward to exploring it a bit, complete with take down to see how it works. I'm curious that way.

Also ordered extra aperture sizes for my Tech Sights (I got the 200's) -- I want a bit more of a ghost ring than the standard peep aperture offers -- and one of their wrenches; may not need it, but better safe than sorry.

I ordered its new Hogue stock in Dark Tan yesterday. I've owned Hogue grips on handguns -- loved them; big difference in performance -- but this is my first rifle stock by them. Based on my past experience, I expect a big difference even with minor differences in dimensions, shape and texture.

My 10/22's getting a make over, and I'm betting it's not merely about looking good. Color me excited.
Hopefully it will work well!

·
Registered
882 Posts
As long as we're on magazines, I have another question. This is mostly curiosity.

I've been spending some time on Ruger's accessories pages for the guns of interest to me now. (10/22 and LCRx in both .22 LR and .38 spl; I'm planning to add one of the latter when possible.)

I've long seen their 10-rnd rotary with a clear case. At first I just overlooked it as total novelty, kind of a cool thing to have to entertain your range buddies.

But I've recently wondered two things. One, are they as reliable at the regulars?

And two, it seems it might be an interesting little ... educational tool, just to see how the thing works. And maybe utility wise (I'm grasping at straws here) allows one to see when the thing is getting gummed up -- maybe shooting dirty ammo. (??)

Any comments?

·
16,956 Posts
I have a few of the clear plastic 10 rounders and like them. You can tell at a glance how many cartridges are loaded and you can see any crud accumulation. They are also a great tutorial for people that don't understand how a rotary magazine works. They are made the same exact way the black BX-1s are made.

Reactions: Katahdin 22

·
Registered
12 Posts
Years ago I sold all my butler creek mags to buy 10 round factory mags. No more feeding issues and I actually prefer the flush fit

21 - 32 of 32 Posts