Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have had my two Ruger 10/22's for 9 years now, ever since my dad passed away and I inherited them. They both shoot amazingly, and I love them. But I'm getting bored with the stock and "look." So I am going to modify one to my liking and keep the other one 100% stock besides a meg release. Both rifles were bought at the same time and shoot almost 100% alike. So I thought that I would also do a little comparing as I modify the one.

What I am looking at getting of course is the Tapco TT stock, a rail mount to replace to stock one, new bolt buffer, and a new barrel. I really like the feel of the trigger on the gun, I have strong fingers and have shot guns with a lighter trigger pull, and its just not the same. I also want to replace the barrel and get a threaded bull barrel. I have looked online for a month or so looking through different designs. I do not care about weight and think the fluted designs give the gun too much attention, I'm still open to a fluted design though.

The barrels that I have been looking at for the most part are Green Mountain, E.R. Shaw and Kidd. I've looked at some others, but the reviews turned me away. The E.R Shaw fits better into my budget, does anyone have any reviews on it?

I'm also going to have the gun fully cleaned up and the internals polished by a gun smith, if anyone thinks this is a bad idea, I would like to know what to look out for. I have owned guns for many years, but I am still learning like most, so of course I am open to disagreements or agreements and will not attack anyone's opinions!

Thanks for your time, and look forward to your responses about my build idea.

-Cody

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Friendly Fire N Permited said:
Thanks for your time, and look forward to your responses about my build idea. -Cody
Well Cody, my first thought is "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"
If it is purely for esthetic's, then go for it.

I did one I've had for at least four decades. I got a carbon fiber bull barrel (saved a LOT of weight), put it on an over-molded stock. Got an E.A. Brown trigger kit (you would probably want to skip this because the trigger is now less than three pounds). Then put on an A.O. scope to handle closer ranges. It shoots five shot groups you can cover with a dime, from 50 yards (sand bag rest, natch).

My one "for sure" suggestion is the carbon fiber barrel.
Gun, scope and everything weighs five pounds.

It is VERY easy to spend far more on the customization than a new target model would cost.

Have fun! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Cody, my first thought is "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"
If it is purely for esthetic's, then go for it.

I did one I've had for at least four decades. I got a carbon fiber bull barrel (saved a LOT of weight), put it on an over-molded stock. Got an E.A. Brown trigger kit (you would probably want to skip this because the trigger is now less than three pounds). Then put on an A.O. scope to handle closer ranges. It shoots five shot groups you can cover with a dime, from 50 yards (sand bag rest, natch).

My one "for sure" suggestion is the carbon fiber barrel.
Gun, scope and everything weighs five pounds.

It is VERY easy to spend far more on the customization than a new target model would cost.

Have fun! ;)
Thanks for the info. I actually do not care about weight, so even if the gun is 9 lbs, I can deal with it pretty easily. I was looking for a 16.5 inch barrel, but I just seen a 10/22 with one and I don't like the size of it, So I'm going to look for an 18 threaded. I know the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule well, but I would like to have a more "feel" to the gun. I might just get the Tapco T6 and keep my stock barrel. But I love the look of a bull barrel. Whats really crazy is I do not want to do anything to the receiver at all because I have only had a couple of rounds jam, I'm just hoping that the new barrel will not cause rounds to jam.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
lots of ideas in this thread...everyone likes different stuff for different reasons...

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/39316-picture-thread-show-off-your-build.html?

My first preference is for classic wood...however...plastic is a lot cheaper... :D

The good news is there is a stock for everyone...in wood or plastic...

Some are harder to find info on than others...

I would recommend taking the time to look carefully at all of them and decide which features are most important to you...

------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lots of ideas in this thread...everyone likes different stuff for different reasons...

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/39316-picture-thread-show-off-your-build.html?

My first preference is for classic wood...however...plastic is a lot cheaper... :D

The good news is there is a stock for everyone...in wood or plastic...

Some are harder to find info on than others...

I would recommend taking the time to look carefully at all of them and decide which features are most important to you...

------------------------------------------------------

Oh wow, what a horrible thread to post!!! :) I love it though! I took a quick look into it the first time I seen this site, but the internet I was on wouldn't load the pictures. Fully went through and wow! Some creative ideas. I'm going for a more basic look, but still have a sort of aggressive look in it.

So what I have come up with is I want a threaded barrel, pretty much for sex appeal :) A 18 inch barrel (with a fake suppressor since real ones are not legal here) or a 20 inch threaded with just the end protector on it. I've seen some of the more expensive light weight barrels and I don't feel the need for the light weight price. So just a bull barrel and the Tapco stock would fit me perfect. I've also looked into other stocks and I don't really want the high tech fancy ones. I just want a place to put a couple accessories and have a pistol grip with an adjustable stock so others can use it.

I've been reading soooo many reviews around the web and everything is either negative or positive or a little of both, depending what site your on. So this barrel upgrade has me totally confused about what I want. I have read that on the E.R. SHAW barrels now that they are a little sloppy where they meet the receiver? Has anyone had experience with that? Also my Ruger is pretty old, it was bought a while back, I'll have to see exactly what year, but I assume that the year might play a difference in what barrel you get too?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Take a look at the Green Mountain Barrel options...they are the most popular brand and used by a lot of folks who have tried multiple brands...they come in 16, 18, 20, 28" in fluted or not...SS options etc...If I wanted an aftermarket barrel what was not aluminum I would get a GM...they have a lot if unique offerings too...

Green Mountain Rifle Barrels - Muzzleloader Barrels, Ruger 10/22, BPCR, Muzzleloading Supplies

Use any stock that appeals to you...

Youtube has countless video reviews of all the popular ones...

Tapco, ATI, Butler Creek, Archangel...

Everyone likes different stuff for different reasons...

If you want to use a bull barrel with both iron sights and scope I would suggest you look at the Nodak sights and receiver rails...

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can check out a site called Rimfire sports and custom...they have just about anything that you may like.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts