Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about my next purchase being a 10/22 or SW 15-22. Looking for a rifle for plinking with decent accuracy that I can accessorize. I have fired the 15-22 but not the 10/22. Just wondering what you folks think about these two rifles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My two cents:

I have a 10/22 International, and a S&W 15-22 (S&W Factory Magpul equiped). I have had the 10/22 since 1995, and the 15-22 for just over a year.

These two rifles are both excellent to shoot, but are apples and oranges.

The 10/22 is accurate at least out to 100 yards, has almost never jammed on me,and shoots most types of ammo without problem. I have had great fun shooting "spiders and flies" targets at 50 yards. I do have a 24 power scope on the 10/22. I think a regular 10/22 would perform much the same.

The S&W 15-22 is pure fun to shoot. I can burn through 500 rounds of ammo in a very short time, and it always delivers a big smile for me! The 15-22 has shot every brand of ammo I have tried in it, without failure. But in the accuracy catagory it is not nearly as accurate as the Ruger.

There usually is a considerable price difference in 10/22 and a 15-22, the 10/22 costing much less for most versions.

So, this is why I own and enjoy both.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Everyone should have at least one 10/22. You can buy a second, and trick it out like a space ranger. I would suggest the 'plain Jane' version, and not the break in two version.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have three 10/22's and two 15-22's. As mentioned both are unique and really not much comparison in common. In pure fun factor though, I'd give the nod to the 15-22. It cost more to get in to, cost more to shoot (this is subjective, but it's easy to rattle off 25 rounds knocking targets over with as it's just a lot of fun. Reliability goes to my 15-22, I don't blame either rifle, it's more the ammunition, the 15-22 just seems to get along with a little wider variety. Having said that, I've landed on a couple of brands that seem to function in every 22 I own, pistol or rifle, so reliability is moot for me now.

If you want to avoid wasting money, no matter which you buy, I'd highly suggest avoiding Remington ammo and Winchester bulk ammo.

For me, accuracy is a wash. Sometimes its nice to feel wood in your hands (insert joke here), so the nod would go to the 10/22 in this case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Own both here. The S&W is very popular with me and whoever tags along. It is fun, specially with a red dot. Mine is very accurate. At the end of the day my love still goes to the 10/22. The Ruger mags are way better in my opinion. Just stack em in there and it will run. The S&W has to be loaded precisely. Not a huge ordeal, but they are close enough that the mags would sway me to keep the Ruger over S&W. I have multiple 10/22's and my favorite is the takedown. Bolt buffers are must to smooth and quiet em.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I like the 10/22 because it's similar to the M1 Carbine. If I was more into ARs I might like the S&W.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts