Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have 10/22 with a Kidd barrel which I have fitted to a Magpul X22 stock. Any ideas of how many inch pounds of tension to put on the stock take up screw for best accuracy ?
Also, should I leave the plastic piece in to support the barrel, or remove it for free floating ?

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Google is your friend.....

Turn the screw into the receiver until it is barely snug. The proper torque value is about 18-25 inch pounds. Feel free to accuracy test at 1-2 inch pound intervals, some rifles will have a noticeable preference. Never tighten more than 30 inch pounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Google is your friend.....

Turn the screw into the receiver until it is barely snug. The proper torque value is about 18-25 inch pounds. Feel free to accuracy test at 1-2 inch pound intervals, some rifles will have a noticeable preference. Never tighten more than 30 inch pounds.
Thanks will give that try

·
Emperor
885 Posts
People have experimented with how take-down screw torque affects accuracy with different Ruger 10/22s and different stocks. I have seen some folks say they got maximal accuracy at 10-12 inch pounds and others say that their accuracy was maximized at 25 inch pound or a little more, so it seems to vary with the individual rifle and stock.

The newer Magpul Hunter X-22 stocks have a small set screw underneath the barrel support at the front of the hand guard that can be accessed with a small Allen wrench through one of the M-LOK holes at the six o'clock position of the fore-end. If you have that model and back the screw out enough, the barrel support bracket won't touch the barrel. You can then adjust upward tension on the barrel with the screw and experiment. I currently have a KID 18" heavy bull barrel installed in my X-22 and have found that a moderate amount of upward tension on the barrel support bracket yields a little better accuracy than having the barrel free-floated but I need to experiment with it a bit more.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi, I have 10/22 with a Kidd barrel which I have fitted to a Magpul X22 stock. Any ideas of how many inch pounds of tension to put on the stock take up screw for best accuracy ?
Also, should I leave the plastic piece in to support the barrel, or remove it for free floating ?
I recall Kidd saying 12 pounds but that seemed too light to me.

I tried groups at 18-24 pounds and saw best accuracy at 18 and 24 pounds.

Here is my configuration.

Ruger 10/22 with 16.5” Tactical Advantage Barrel, Magpul Hunter Stock, T&J Tactical Suppressor, Kidd 1 Stage Trigger Kidd Internals with Burris PEPR Cantilever Mount and Athlon Optics, Talos BTR, Riflescope, 4-14 x 44 First Focal Plane (FFP) 30mm Tube, Illuminated APLR2 MIL Reticle, EGW 20 MOA rail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts