Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I could not find this anywhere else, so here's my question. I have a ruger SR1911 less than a year old, have fired maybe 50 rds. Loaded and carrying cocked and locked, come home and go to clear, dropped the mag and try to rack the slide ( safety off) it won't budge more than a fraction of an inch. So cannot eject live round not sure what to do

·
Registered
97 Posts
With the safety off, the hammer de-cocted, and hands off the grip safety, use a brass (preferred) or wood dowel in the barrel to tap the bullet/cartridge back. The slide will likely start to move surprisingly easily. Once the slide moves a little you can then eject the round normally. This assumes you have a basic understanding of how a 1911 cycles. Don't use a wood dowel for more than a moderate effort. If it splits, it can jam the bullet very tightly.

If all you can find is a wood dowel. putting an empty 9mm brass over the end of the dowel will help prevent splitting against that 45 bullet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Before I go sticking dowels down the barrel, I would try re-inserting the magazine back into the pistol and then try to eject the loaded round and if it opens, lock it open with the slide lock and then drop the magazine. Just another idea...Hope it works for you. If you choose to insert the dowel and then tap on it while a round is still in the chamber please be sure to send us the pictures of you shooting something!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It sounds like you have a loaded round where the bullet is jammed into the barrel lands. If you do not have a full length guide rod, you can use more force by tapping the area below the barrel on the face of the guide rod bushing against a solid wood surface.
This method is sometimes used by a person with only the use of one hand to clear a jam and get the gun back into operation. Just be sure to do it outside and the barrel aimed down into the ground. If you feel unsure about doing it, take it to a gunsmith. by any chance was the ammo in the gun reloads that may have been reloaded to a length that is too long for your barrel chamber. I have seen this problem several times with improper reloaded ammunition. If this was the problem, do not use that ammo again.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You must live in the city where you can not just fire that round off.
Both the first and third suggestion are good. I like the HBK's suggestion first (Safer) then if that does not work use the dowel. If it was mine I would just step out my door and fire the round off into a target. Either the round is too long or the casing is out of spec. Is this a round that you are continually loading and unloading out od the chamber ? If so start rotating the rounds and shooting them after a little while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts