Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ruger experts! I am considering purchasing a used Ruger 1911 Commander model number 06702 and was looking for some feedback. This particular pistol was manufactured a year ago and the seller claims only 100 rounds fired, but who knows. I didn't see it in person yet but wanted to get some feedback before I did an eyeball.
Any all comments about issues or problems and good things would be appreciated.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Love mine. It's SR1911 number two for me after owning the original full size for a couple of years. The first gun was flawless and so far (nearly a year) the CMD has been terrific. Only adjustment needed was to drift the rear over just a touch. Love the CMD so much that I succumbed to the TALO SR1911CMD Night Watchman. So I'm up to SR1911 #3. I've run hundreds of rounds through the CMDNW without a hiccup. Number 4 will likely be a Lightweight. You get the picture - very happy with mine. Normal due diligence on your part should give you a good 1911 plus you always have Ruger's top notch Customer Service to back you up (doesn't matter that you bought it used, are not the original owner, it's over a year old, etc. - Ruger will take care of whatever problems you may encounter down the road, if any.)

·
Banned
84 Posts
cmd

I'm very happy with mine. I just don't get to shoot it often enough.

If I may ask what is the seller asking for the CMD??

BK

·
Banned
83 Posts
Love my CMD-SS. Just make sure it has the newer Novak front sight. See this link and scroll down a bit to see photos of the old sight versus newer sight. The newer sight will be totally flat on the sides. The older front sight that were a possible problem for some had the widened hump up.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/61488-sr1911-front-sight-broken-3.html

I opted for the all Stainless Steel CMD. Just not crazy about aluminum framed 1911's, but would consider one if a even smaller compact officer's model came out for CCW. Maybe the CMD-LW recently coming out is a sign of a smaller compact 1911 which might be on the R & D drafting boards. When I looked at the CMD's, ( which I prefer over the regular SR1911 due to the balance I prefer ), I wondered about the titanium feed ramp insert on the LW and how was it exactly installed to adhere to the aluminum frame ? A great idea I'll admit, but what about the rails and other internal parts. I would think they are more subject to wearing as well on the LW aluminum frame model versus the all stainless steel CMD model, especially with a lot of use and range time. Now if a compact officer's model were to ever come out, then the use of a aluminum frame would make much more sense. Not knocking the current LW, but when it comes to a 1911 give me steel. Yes, I realize it's a cast steel frame and not forged like some, but Ruger is clearly number one in their casting technology and is tour proven in that department. Over the years one must admit to hearing various problems with other aluminum framed 1911's and I guess it spooked me, maybe only use over time will tell.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I wouldn't stress over the front sight. That issue was identified early on (front sight breakage happened with the earlier full size SR1911) and remedied before the CMD came out. Ruger took their sweet time between introducing the full size SR1911 and the CMD - a couple of years. I doubt that any of the CMD models have the old original MIM front sight. But even if it did I wouldn't pass on a good buy like that. Worst that can happen is it will break, Ruger will pick up the tab to replace it and you'll have your gun back inside of 2 weeks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'll add my 6 cents (inflation) to this. I have the CMD steel and it's my favorite gun.
Everything is excellent; balance - accuracy- reliability - size. With an 8 round mag of 45ACP in it, it's perfect!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
You should also know that Ruger's 1911s are not that much different that your standard everyday 1911. They are not proprietary.

So upgrading the parts or replacement of parts is pretty much a plug-n-play story.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have over the years owned several from Springfield, and several from Kimber. the SR1911CMD I purchased a year or two ago is at least their equal, and better than most. when you think about how many more obamabucks it cost me for the other two brands, I consider the SR1911 a steal! less than half what I paid for at least two of them and a third less than the others. don't worry about Ruger CS. you will most likely never have to deal with them, but if you do they are the best.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Buy it! I've tons of rounds thru my CMD. The front sight did break but Ruger sent me a new on and I installed no prob.

·
Registered
32 Posts
SR 1911

Just bought mine and paid $695 for it NIB. I've had a dozen 1911's in my life and still can't believe what I'm getting for the money. This pistol is standard
with so many MODS it's scary for the price. Can't wait to get down to the range and see if what all these other guys are saying is also true of my Commander. By all means, I'd go for it at $500......

Stay safe, watch your Six !

Sarge

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here it is

Picked it up this morning. I wish it had the original grips but they are inexpensive to purchase. The pistol appears to be well built and heftier than my other 1911's.
Will try to get to the range soon.....

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, they're OK ;)

The LGS has a couple used ones on display for 635, which means he'd probably take 600 OTD.
$500 is a dang nice price.

So where's those pics? :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would buy it. I bought a new one a couple years ago. After a lot of trouble, first one was replaced, 2nd had to be repaired on warranty, I love it. Very fast out of the holster and accurate too. If I hadn't had good service out of other Ruger products, I would have gotten rid of it, it's a real good gun now.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congratulations and it looks great! I like the finger groove grips. In fact my SR1911CMD looks awfully similar....

Mine has the classic Pachmayr Gripper but it's real close. Like you said, the OEM panels are not expensive and there is an endless number of other grip options. Happy Rugering!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts