Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess my next rifle will be a Ruger 1 in 220 Swift or 22-250. I have batted around the idea of buying another AR-15, but I have always wanted a Ruger 1, and I don't think I'll rest till I get it.

If I were to find a Ruger 1 RSI in 30-06 at the right price I might consider it also. That is one pretty rifle.

Frankly, I think a Ruger 1 RSI in 303 British or 7x57R would be classy....

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have owned just about one of every kind of Ruger, with the exception of a #1 rifle and a Red Label and Gold Label shotgun. I love the looks of all 3, but they are kind of beyond my pocketbook!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a number of #1 rifles including the #1-RSI in 7x57. It has to be one of my all time favorites. If you do your own loading, you can use the 7x57 to its full potential which is sufficient for most N.A. game. I'm currently using the Barnes 160 gr 'TSX' and IMR4350 powder and pulling almost 2800 fps out of it with no pressure indications. It's way above SAAMI (which is loaded for milsurp guns), but well within the limits of the gun. I also have #1-B in 6mm Rem that's a real tack driver and can be used for both varmint and medium size game. I've never had much luck with any of the high velocity .22s and the 6mm is a lot easier on the throat.

My other favorite #1 rifles are my #1-H in .405 Win and my #1-S in .45-70. They're a real hoot, but do tend to smack you around a bit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got my first #1 this year and what a nice rifle. Mine is in 7mm Magnum, and has great wood as well. You will like it alot.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The #1 International is probably my next rifle...I've almost bought one before now, but something...for whatever reason...held me back ( like a 6.5x55 M77 ). The caliber will be 7x57...I've got a "200th yr" M77 in that caliber, and I really like it.

There's just something about a #1..."like a lotta class!"...that makes a guy want to start gatherin' his tradin' fodder...

'pears you've got some really neat #1's....congrats!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 7mm Mauser is such a neat round. My first rifle was a Spanish Mauser that had been about half-a$$ed sporterized. It still had the iron sights on it and I used it for 5 years before I started buying Rugers and Remingtons.

·
Registered
191 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Critch

The 7mm Mauser is such a neat round. My first rifle was a Spanish Mauser that had been about half-a$$ed sporterized. It still had the iron sights on it and I used it for 5 years before I started buying Rugers and Remingtons.
My first 7mm Mauser was also a milsurp long rifle made at Oviedo in 1914. I found it stuffed in a shopping cart at K-Mart with a bunch of others marked "Your choice - $14.95". It was in very nice condition. That kind of tells you how long ago that was.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A hundred years ago I ran across a Number 1 in 300 H&H Magnum. It had iron sights and a heavy barrel, it was one neat looking rifle. Seeing as how I wasn't going to Africa or anywhere I passed on it, wish I hadn't now..the 300 H&H is a neat caliber...

If I had owned a pith helmet I would have bought it just to have a safari set.....

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don't have a No. 1 at this time, but I used to have a No.1V in .22-250 with a Harris bi-pod. The No. 1 had beautiful wood. I used it to shoot sod puppies (prairie dogs) in South Dakota. Very accurate and lots of fun.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Ron,what caused ya to let that rifle go?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I just noticed these Number Ones in the Ruger catalog and although I'm not a hunter so I don't really have a use for one, they are stunning. Beautiful and bad-ass at the same time.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if it's the real bads or if I am just looking at a good deal, I found a Ruger 1 Varminter in 223. I'm going to go look at it tonite, if I can find the time, and I will buy it if everything is as he said it is. I already shoot a lot of 223 and I reload for it...I know it's now 220 or a 22-250, but here in the Ozarks, it's unlikely I'll ever get a 400 yard shot at anything...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ratgunner

Critch good luck with that deal.Eddie the no.1's are also good for target shooting also.
Well there you have it. Now I have a reason to want one!!

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
In all my years of Ruger's I've only gotten and still have one #1. I got it from a guy who wanted it to test some of his loads.Once he finished about 75 rounds later we traded.I shot a few rounds through it before trading.They were a little low for me but the group was about 3/4" @ 100yards.It's a Limited Edition so he said. It's S/S with a Green Laminated stock chambered in the 45/70 that was available only through Ruger Gold Label dealers.. If all the #1's shoot like this one I'm really impressed.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'm looking again, the No 1 I looked at didn't do anything for me, he wanted as much as I can buy one new for and his was scuffed up pretty bad. I have been saving for either an AR-15 or a No-1. it's worrisome that the anti-gun loonies may be in power in two years, so I'm still thinking hard about an AR.

The 220 Swift still has a lot of appeal to me. They're like a laser beam.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Here’s a picture of my #1 alongside my Browning 1885 for a comparison of the two. The #1 is in .270 Weatherby Magnum and the Browning is 22-250.

The Browning has yet to draw blood, but the #1 puts whitetail down where they stand.

It's a bit of a tossup as to which is the prettiest, they both have gorgeous wood.

I have a thing for falling blocks, I also have a Stevens Favorite in .22lr.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those 1885s are really nice looking rifles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have several No. 1 rifles. 2 in 30.06 (one Alex Henry, one beavertail, both with 200th markings), 1 in .22-250 (the varmint model), and 2 in 45/70 (one with the 200th year marking). I think they are the classiest rifles around.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts