Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the shorty 22/45 hunter barrel, but don't care for the 22/45 grip. I am thinking about buying one, and swapping lower receivers with a non-22/45. Does anyone know the the barrels on both these models the same?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Good question Keith, I know I have a stainless 22/45 upper assembly setting here and it fits about all the Mark I or Mark IIs I tried to put it. Have not been able to go the other way, need to slightly modify' the lug up front or the space in the receiver notch. But as to the Mark III's have not been playing around with enough of them to "find out"......
Iowegan, I think still has one of them MK IIIs tell him to bring it over and we can try !!!:D:D

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,828 Posts
I have never tried to put a 22/45 upper on any other lower. If the 22/45 upper fits on a MK II, it should also fit a MK III. The only conflict might be the bolt stop on both the MK II and III.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking at using two Mark IIIs. One of these days, I'll run by the shop I do a lot of business with, and see if they will let me check. I don't think they have the 22/45 Short Hunter, but I know they have the standard 22/45 III's.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Iowegan, here is the upper I was talking about 22/45 5 1/2" stainless and it fits all the guns we have tried on so far (MK I & II's).........

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,828 Posts
rugerguy, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. The only difference between a MK II and MK III top end is the loaded chamber indicator. The LCI is "built in" and has no external linkage to the frame. I have swapped a MK II and MK III uppers (conventional, not 22/45) and they both worked fine.

I have seen considerable differences in the front frame hook and the pocket in the upper where they latch together. This "connection" is factory fitted so it is not unusual to see uppers in the same model fit too tight or too loose. I would think that would be your only issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts