Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my new 22/45 Lite for the first time this past weekend and was having cronic failure to feed from the clip. I was shooting Winchester hollow points. Could this be a defective gun? Or ammo problem?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I would try some different ammo before you do anything else. Hollow points can sometimes be a problem as well as Winchester ammo, although the MKIII pistols are pretty tolerant of just about any ammo.
I use Federal Bulk from Walmart, Blazer bulk with good results. CCI Mini-Mag does great. I have had the worst results with Winchester 555 and Remington Golden bullets.
Question: Is the failure to feed from the first round or any round in the mag? Does it occur with both mags?
When you load the mag it can help to tap the back of the mag against your hand to make sure all rounds are seated. On the first round look to see that the bullet nose is somewhat "up" in the front of the mag. When you let go of the bolt on the first round - let it fly, sometimes letting it slowly move forward will cause it to fail to strip that first round.

Welcome from "The Mountain State"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
22/45 Lite

Yes, these were Winchester 555's. Hopefully, that is the problem. Thanks for the other suggestions.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes, these were Winchester 555's. Hopefully, that is the problem. Thanks for the other suggestions.
Let us know the results. The more info shared on here the better. We hope you will stick around the forum.:)

BTW: I can shoot Winchester 555's all day long in my S&W MP15-22 rifle without a burp.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Load the mags one bullet at a time by pushing down the loading button just enough for one bullet to enter at a time. If the space is too great and the bullets drop in they can be misaligned and hang up.
As said above, tap the back of the loaded mag too.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I agree it's most likely your ammo. .22 semi-autos are notoriously finicky when it comes to ammo. Like the other posts, my best luck has been with CCI Mini Mags or Blazers, or Federal Auto-Match.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Make sure you clean the gun throughly. I had the same issue with mine and a friend of mine took the gun and cleaned and I haven't had an issue with it since. I haven't shot a lot through it but no issues with it after cleaning it.

How does it shoot? I'm having a hard time hitting the target with mine. I even but a Bushnell trs25 scope on it and still it is very inconsistent. Maybe its jsut me, I haven't shot a pistol much. I could be the problem:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jamming

Change your ammo! I got a 22/45 a yr ago.Polished the feed ramp,bought 2 mags,and still had feed problems.Joined this site,was told to try different ammo! Problem solved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jamming Problem

I bought some CCI bullits and put them in clip and ejected them manually without firing - no problem. I put the Winchester 555's in the clip and most all of them would hang up when I tried to eject them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am not a fan of any of the Winchester bulk ammo (even the new M22). But make sure you slap in the bottom of the mags. On many of the new 22/45s I have checked I thought the mag was in but could take my finger nail and pull the mag out without pushing the mag release button. Not saying that's the problem but just check it. When the guns break in more, they don't seem to have that problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jamming Problem

Shot my 22/45 Lite this past weekend with CCI ammo. No problem. I guess my gun does not like the Winchester 555's.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 22/45 Lite does not like hollow point ammo. Round nose, no problems.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree I bet it's the ammo. Get a bore snake and clean and out the grime. I have had my Mark III 22/45 Lite for 6 months and it eats anything but runs best with CCI mini-mags. Only time I had a failure was when it was a bit dirty after 600 rounds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also have had jamming with first use.

Used my 22/45 Lite today for the first time and also experienced some jams with Remington High Velocity 22LR's. I had no problem firing Winchester 333 22LR's at all, the new 22/45 Lite did about 50 rounds of it with out one jam. The 333 were hollow points with rounded noses, while the Remington's noses seemed slightly longer and more pointed with solid ends. Experienced about three jams shooting 24 rounds. Luckily there was a more experienced with magazine style guns person on the range and suggested what others here have suggested, that is tap the mag down on it's end once loaded to seat the rounds, make sure it's pushed in properly, let the bolt fly in hard. After that no more jams. He also suggested cleaning the gun even though it was new it appeared to have too much oil on it. I have experience with Smith & Wesson revolvers but never had a magazine style pistol before. I'll report back when I try some of the other ammo suggested here in this forum.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have had some fail to feed with the Winchester Bulk Hollow Point in my Lite. Federal and CCI work flawlessly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I shot my new Lite today. I can confirm CCI 1650 FPS jams ALOT. I got a jam every five shots. The CCI 1020 is working fine. CCI 710 does not even reload since it is too weak. Will try Federal next. I hope it is not the gun. It is brand new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, my bad, here is what it says in CCI's web site: about the 1650 FPS:

Accurate to 50 yards. Maximum range 3/4 mile. Use in ANSI sporting chambers only - Do Not Use in match chambers. May not function in all semi-automatic firearms. Use only in firearms having standard ANSI sporting barrel/chamber dimensions.
1260 fps in handguns

1 - 20 of 30 Posts