Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had any issues with failing firing pins in the Ruger Magnum RPR rifles? I fired a round through my rifle today and the firing pin assembly has apparently failed. I thought something had happened with a possible pressure spike for some unknown reason because when I went to eject the spent case, the bolt would slide to the open position, but would not pull back. I thought maybe the case was stuck in the chamber (though that’s never happened before with this gun). I ended up putting a patch on a cleaning rod and tapping it back to get the bolt back. Now the bolt will not cycle back into the rifle because the firing pin in the bolt will no longer align with the trigger assembly. The bolt will stop about 2/3 on the way to closing. I can’t even rotate the bolt shroud far enough to remove it from the bolt. I know it’s not a dropped position that needs recycling, I know that’s hard to do, I’ve done it. This is something very different, it happened when firing the rifle. Is this a common failure with these rifles? I’ve never heard of this happening.

Thanks for any input,
Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
It almos sounds like the bolt has rotated too far. When the bolt handle is lifted and the bolt rotates, the two cams slid along a ramp like surface until they reach a two recess where they rest. they shouldn't travel any farther because the bolt can only be rotated so far while in the receiver of the rifle. However, with the bolt removed from the rifle, and the shroud held in place it is possible to rotate the bolt until both cams find the recesses and basically reset the firing pin same as if you were chambering another round. It's also possible to over rotate the bolt and have the cams drop off the steep drop just past the recesses. I know because I've do this while changing the bolt handle. Funny thing is, this should not have been able to happen while the bolt was in the rifle. To reset mine i put the bolt in a vice and slipped a small screwdriver through the back of the bolt. Then while pulling back against the spring tension of the firing pin i put the cams back up into the recesses. But i had already taken the bolt shroud off and had access to the inner workings.

If this doesn't help or isnt the exact situation you're in my advice would be to get in touch with Ruger and maybe you will have to send the rifle back. that sucks but at least you'll know the problem will be corrected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i send my complete bolt to the german dealer where i bought it
so i lost the chance to make pictures/video for you.
i will keep you informed....

·
Premium Member
13,935 Posts
Welcome from Illinois.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

Ruger said to my dealer, that this happens very rare
the dealer cut off the bolt shroud, put everything in the right position together and send the bolt last week back to me

the good news: i shot a very tight group
the bad news: after 4 shots it happend againg. this time with a live bullet in the chamber....not so funny

the dealer now contacts ruger again and we will see what will happen

is there any possibility to put it in a wong wayy together ?

in my opinion the probleme must be caused by the "firing pin spring stop" or the bolt body
i think that the firing pin spring stop (which is in a way fixed in the bold body) gets out of this position

·
Registered
118 Posts
Unfortunately the world is in a state of chaos right now. The politicians in the US are doing everything they can to shut down the firearm industry here. a friend of mine in California said that guns stores are close to anyone but law enforcement while in Texas they are open like any other day. I'm not sure in Ruger's factories are even open right now. and if they are, how many employees are going in. surely not all. If you must send the entire rifle back to Ruger, who knows when you would receive it back. months? year maybe?

what about the dealer that sold you the rifle... would they be willing to fix it again but this time test fire it. and if they experience the same problem as you then ask them about replacing it with one that works. seems only fair considering the price you paid them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i know about the situation. but something has to happen..

i contacted the dealer per call today. my mail hasn´t been answered.
ruger said in the end of march, that they will send a nea firing pin assembly.

because of corona the dealer expects the next delivery at the end of the year.

i hope everything will be fine with the new firing pin assembly.....then its just a bit of waiting

the dealer would send me a firing pin assembly from their weapons. but they have no weapon in they warehouse

1 - 10 of 10 Posts