Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are several photos of a Ruger .357 Cal. Blackhawk, Serial No. 31-197xx that is is in very good condition. Please confirm when it was made. Based on the photos, what is your estimate of its condition, and what do you think it is worth?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1972 $300 - $450 6 1/2" hurts the value, 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" worth more.
w/ the 9mm cyl ?
Get an average asking price on gunbroker
Ruger Blackhawk Serial Number History
Don't understand your comment about the 9mm cylinder. Are you saying that 9 mm cylinders are available for the gun or if you are you asking if it is a 9mm cylinder, it is not a 9mm cylinder.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
Don't understand your comment about the 9mm cylinder. Are you saying that 9 mm cylinders are available for the gun or if you are you asking if it is a 9mm cylinder, it is not a 9mm cylinder.
Blackhawk Convertible came with a 9mm cylinder. They are available, but I don't know if every cylinder will work in every revolver or if they can be made to work.

May be a question for Iowegan?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Around here a Blackhawk like that would be about $450.

On convertible models, the cylinders will each have the last three of the serial number scribed on them so that you know they go with that gun. If you buy a 9mm cylinder that didn't come with the gun, it's hit or miss on whether it will work.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Just before Christmas I saw a 357 OM Blackhawk, std barrel, in excellent condition on consignment in a mom/pop gun shop. $695.

Of course it's all about condition. Around here, functional but rough shooters are $400 but rare. Used handguns don't usually sit on the shelf for a full day.

There was an equally nice OM Single Six and Bearcat sitting there. From the same collector I would assume.

·
Registered
773 Posts
1972 $300 - $450 6 1/2" hurts the value, 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" worth more.
w/ the 9mm cyl ?
Get an average asking price on gunbroker
Ruger Blackhawk Serial Number History
A factory produced Old Model (Three Screw) Blackhawk in any caliber with a 5 1/2" barrel would really be valuable since there is no record that Ruger ever produced one. 5 1/2" barrels were relegated to Single Sixes.

According to my reference, the convertibles with 9 mm cylinder were introduced in 1967 in the 1037xx serial number range.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Don't know why all the talk about a convertible - the OP just said it is a .357.

And it is a very nice one, particularly if it hasn't been converted to the transfer bar safety system. $400-$500 around here.

Bought mine new in 1968 - still locks up tight & shoots better than I do:

·
Registered
264 Posts
(quote)
"Don't know why all the talk about a convertible - the OP just said it is a .357."

Since the OP asked about value, the extra cylinder adds a bit to value. I would offer less if missing. At a gun show this past Fall, bought a 1970 6 1/2" 90+% in box with 9mm cyl for $350 total.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Missing?

Not to be argumentative, but most Blackhawks were not convertibles.

Yes, a convertible will obviously bring more, but the OP wasn't asking that. My Blackhawk would bring more if it had factory ivory or stag grip panels.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
(quote)
"Don't know why all the talk about a convertible - the OP just said it is a .357."

Since the OP asked about value, the extra cylinder adds a bit to value. I would offer less if missing. At a gun show this past Fall, bought a 1970 6 1/2" 90+% in box with 9mm cyl for $350 total.
A part can't be "missing" if the firearm was sold without it. If it was originally sold without one, then resold WITH one, then the serial number and the cylinder numbers wouldn't match, and the cylinder would be "extra," not "missing."

Not really pertinent to bring up the length of a Rhino horn when discussing Elephants...

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,430 Posts
Varminterror, I think some of these members are the same ones that I see at gun shows with the same alleged expertise!

In my area, OM BHs are pretty valuable. The OPs BH would bring at least $500 if it was converted .... more if it was not converted. I bought a pristine unconverted 357 OM BH 2 years ago for $500 and thought I got a smokin' deal.

Still have it:

·
Registered
158 Posts
If I owned this OM Blackhawk I would not even consider an offer of $500 . . . especialy since I would keep it and enjoy it myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts