Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Ohio! I have no experience with the .44 semi auto carbine. I would STRONGLY suggest downloading or finding the manual. They were VERY ammunition sensitive from reports of those I know to have had one. And I think the gas system had some adjustability to it.... meaning it needs cleaned/adjusted to your load. Maybe! Again, WELCOME!

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,539 Posts
Welcome from South Texas.

I have a '63 Ruger .44 Carbine, however I don't remember ever having this issue.
I'm not at home this morning, I will try looking this evening to see if I can duplicate your issue.

I'm curious how long you have had the rifle and if you are shooting factory ammo or reloads?

Reactions: Usmciraqvet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome from South Texas.

I have a '63 Ruger .44 Carbine, however I don't remember ever having this issue.
I'm not at home this morning, I will try looking this evening to see if I can duplicate your issue.

I'm curious how long you have had the rifle and if you are shooting factory ammo or reloads?
I’m shooting factory ammo. Fiochi. I inherited this rifle. It shoots great. The first shot is perfect. Next round starts to chamber but the mag tube tries to send two out instead of one. I can push the second round back into the tube and it will chamber by itself.
In other words, the bolt goes back with a new round and hangs up bc of the mag tube allowing another out of the tube. Like the cartridge stop is sticking

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I’m shooting factory ammo. Fiochi. I inherited this rifle. It shoots great. The first shot is perfect. Next round starts to chamber but the mag tube tries to send two out instead of one. I can push the second round back into the tube and it will chamber by itself.
In other words, the bolt goes back with a new round and hangs up bc of the mag tube allowing another out of the tube. Like the cartridge stop is sticking
I think I understand, I doubt it is the ammo, I was just curious. However, 1311fps is a little hotter than Winchester 240 JHP, which was my go to factory ammo and what I based my reloads on.

This is a problem you have had since you inherited it? or it just started happening?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Could the lifter be dragging on the back of the cartridge allowing the stop to stay open? I’m open for suggestions. The lifter seems to look like it’s sharp and missing some metal on it

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Thanks. Could the lifter be dragging on the back of the cartridge allowing the stop to stay open? I’m open for suggestions. The lifter seems to look like it’s sharp and missing some metal on it
Yours looks different than mine. I'm not sure what that round thing is above the lifter arm in your photo.
Your lifting arm assembly looks good from what I can see.

However, I'm thinking your cartridge stop is damaged or missing, or not engaging for some reason (maybe excessively dirty).
You probably need to disassemble and have a look.
-It looks intimidating, but it's not.

There are Youtube videos that can help, even some on how to deep clean your carbine.
Just make sure it's a video for the tube fed vs. magazine fed carbine. :)

This is mine w/o any ammo in the tube:
Hard to see in the photo, but the cartridge stop prevents the magazine follower from touching the lifting arm assembly.
Bumper Wood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive exterior

Mine with cartridge stop engaged:
It holds the next round in the magazine forward, cartridge does not touch the lifting arm assembly.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rectangle Grille Automotive exterior

The cartridge stop prevents any contact between the lifter and the cartridge until the ejection sequence.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have been poking around the internet and see that there is a cartridge stop for the older tube feed carbines.
There are parts C40 to C46 that make this happen. You can see what part of those parts is your problem and
replace it or try and clean your trigger assembly and see if that helps. I don't think it is a cartridge problem as
long as it is a standard length 44 Magnum cartridge and not a 44 spl cartridge. Your picture shows a lot of spent
powder up and around the release button, I would try to blast it all out with some Crud Buster and compressed
air.

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yours looks different than mine. I'm not sure what that round thing is above the lifter arm in your photo.

However, I'm thinking your cartridge stop is damaged or missing, or not engaging for some reason (maybe excessively dirty).

There are Youtube videos that can help, even some on how to deep clean your carbine.

Hard to see in the photo, but the cartridge stop prevents the magazine follower from touching the lifting arm assembly.
View attachment 176487

It holds the next round in the magazine forward, cartridge does not touch the lifting arm assembly.
View attachment 176488
The cartridge stop prevents any contact between the lifter and the cartridge until the ejection sequence.
The round thing is the newer Cartridge Release Button I see yours must be older than Usmciraqvet's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

View attachment 176487

View attachment 176488
It’s just like an auto shotgun. You push the button to retrieve rounds if unloading

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It’s just like an auto shotgun. You push the button to retrieve rounds if unloading
Yeah, mine is different, but it’s older (1963)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts