Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this 44 semi auto in a group of rifles i bought and was showing it to a few friends at a gun show to see what it might be worth(not selling it). it is in ex condition with only a few safe moving marks. a man who looked at it said he would give me 500.00 for it and i said i,m not looking to sell it and he got about half mad saying its not worth any more than that and i should sell it to him, i put it back into a gun case and took it out to my car. it is a handy carbine. eastbank.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm not sure what those are worth and when they stopped making them but do know they are collectible. I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can give you a guestimate of what it would bring on the market. I would suggest looking on gunbroker under completed auctions to see what price they bring.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
That is the Sporter model, not the most common configuration of the .44 carbine. I paid $600 for mine about 5 years ago and wasn't unhappy with the deal. The fellow with the attitude wouldn't be getting anything for $500 from me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice find

You have a 1971 ruger 44 magnum sporter, commonly refered to as a "fingergroove", this is a deluxe version. 1971 was the last year of deluxe model production, so your's is as new as they get. Ruger 44 carbines are in very high demand by woods hunters. Light weight, short, and fast handling, make them ideal for deer ,bear, and pigs at short range, inside 125 yds. The half mad man was trying to lowball you. Deluxe Ruger 44 carbines in such nice shape as yours would probably bring $700 to $1000.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is a 1971 Model but it is NOT a deluxe model. The deluxe models were checkered versions also made in the International (Mannlicher) Models. The checkered models are extremely difficult to find. To be technical was called the SP Model. Checkered model was SPX. A few have sold in the last 3 months on GB with any condition they have gone anywhere from $700 to $1000. There's 3 listed right now.

Hope info helps, Greg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info, i think i,ll take it out and shoot a few rounds when the weather warms up. eastbank.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Eastbank, I had one about 22 years ago that I bought at a gun show for $350. but it was just a standard model, and that was 22 years ago. I shot it some, kicked a lot! It was a fun gun, enjoy!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Eastbank, I've got the standard model .44 Magnum Carbine with the walnut stock, made about 1978 or so, I'd have to look it up for the exact year. I installed a peep sight on mine and it definitely helped improve the groups. I paid right at $250.00 at a pawn shop (manager is a friend of mine) about 20 years ago. I noted it is real finicky about the projectile it likes to shoot, mostly 240 grain jacketed full power loads. It is a real pleasure to shoot and a lot of fun. I've used it for whitetail deer in UP Michigan, and NE Wisconsin and at up to 75 yards (probably much further, that is as far as I've had to push that it) put some really nice bucks down with authority. I've been offered $600.00 for mine several times from several different people, but I plan on holding on to mine. Looks like you got yourself a neat little carbine.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have the ruger 44 mag semi 1972 model dose anyone know where I can get a weaver
base that will fit so I can mount a hologram sight on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
<br />My dad ordered this gun out of a Sears and Roebuck catalog. When Sears shipped it, they would only ship it to our local police station, where my dad had to come in and sign for it. We found the old owners manual the other day, I noticed parts were in the 1 to 3 dollar range. If only guns were still that cheap. <br />I'm still having trouble trying to nail down the exact year this gun was made. I found a list of serial number codes, but I'm not sure where the serial number falls on the list. <br />
<br />
<br /><br />Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
I love mine, just punching paper with it for now with a 3x9 L. but, I'd love to intrude it to a Hog for smoking:). I shot all reloads from Rem. JHP to Speer JSP here piggy piggy. If someone has a problem with them PM me :D
manuf. early 1970 xxx-089

Carbie: ordered weaver rings from Cabelas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thinking about getting rid of the scope rings and adding a picatinny rail. Is there a rail designed for this gun or will I have to find something that works to fit the gun?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
OP, as others have said, it is a 1971 manu. That was the last year this model was made, which makes it slightly more collectible. Current book value is $1050 for NewInBox, and $850 for 98%.

bamared, those rings gotta go. You can get Weaver bases and rings for your rifle if you want to retain a scope. As an idea, you might want to ditch that big honking scope, and mount something that fits the balance and range of the rifle. A 2.5X scope is more than enough for the .44 RemMag, and will make the rifle balance better, handle better, carry better.

As for putting on a pic rail, which was derived from the Weaver base...there could be a problem due to the step-down from receiver to barrel. I doubt you will find a one-piece rail that will step down correctly. I would use the Weaver bases.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had one i bought in 1978.
It wore a peep sight and then a Leopold 2 1/2 Compact.
Set up with a good peep sight it is the perfect woods rifle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
OP, as others have said, it is a 1971 manu. That was the last year this model was made, which makes it slightly more collectible. Current book value is $1050 for NewInBox, and $850 for 98%.
Book value may underestimate what the gun would sell for on GunBroker. A NIB Ruger 44 Carbine, standard model, just sold for over $2,100 and a RS model (peep sight) in 98% is currently at $855 with five days to go. I fully expect this one to go for at least double this amount. Condition is everything. A few small scratches on the stock or any metal finish defect on the receiver or loading gate will drop the price by 50%

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is the rings I want to get rid of

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
You actually have one of the best set ups for hunting with this rifle. You can add all of the Picatinny rails and high powered scopes that you want, but it will not to convert it into a target rifle. It is a fast handling close quarters rifle designed for quick shots on deer, but it works perfectly on hogs and bear, My son has exactly the same setup that you do. The only difference in mine, is the rifle is a 44RS. We have five other family members with basically the same rigs, that have accounted for many deer in the Louisiana Swamps. Leave it as is for a great compact hunting rifle that excels in close quarter hunting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts