Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ruger Redhawk 45colt/45acp

I am new to this form, I was glad to read alot of info on Ruger double actions.

I am not new to shooting, been shooting for over 60 years.

I am about ready to purchase a Ruger Redhawk in 45colt/45acp.

Looking for your opinion on the gun before I spend the money.

Thanks
Gary

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey. Learn and enjoy. The 45/45 redhawk will give you better accuracy in 45 colt usually. In 45 acp the much shorter round will go a much longer distance before it eb=nguages the rifling in the barrel. I woud get one if you want one I love my Redhawks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from New Jersey. Learn and enjoy. The 45/45 redhawk will give you better accuracy in 45 colt usually. In 45 acp the much shorter round will go a much longer distance before it eb=nguages the rifling in the barrel. I woud get one if you want one I love my Redhawks.
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone has shot 45 Cowboy Special in this gun ?

Gary

·
Registered
216 Posts
Buy it

Mine is a little more accurate with the cowboy stuff then the hotter loads

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am still looking for opinions on this gun

I can't buy one right now as our Governor has all the gun shops in New Mexico shut down. The NRA is suing the state because of it.

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I bought mine to have the option of shooting hotter loads. I could not do that with the Vaquero. In hindsight I could have considered the super redhawk. I liked the look and feel of the Redhawk. I did not like the standard grip on the Redhawk with hotter loads. After installing the Hogue rubber grips it was much more pleasant to shoot. Shooting the 45 ACP is fun. Couldn’t do that with the Super Redhawk but I believe there is a Super Blackhawk convertible. I might be wrong about that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have had mine for several years now, you won't go wrong buying it. Especially if you reload. Normally I run 45 colt thru mine, and leave the light 45 acp for my vaquero 45 acp.

I have not experienced light strikes,and the more you shoot it of course, smoother it gets, especially in double action. Overall it's a great gun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought mine in May of last year. I like it!

I usually load a 255 grain rnfp bullet with 8.0 grains of Unique. This is for .45 Colt. I don't shoot any .45 ACP. Federal and CCI primers both work with no misfires. I think a lot of people experience misfires when they swap out the mainspring. Having one spring perform 2 functions maybe wasn't such a good idea.

I took it apart and checked for burrs and rough edges. I did find a high spot on the right side of the frame where the hammer was rubbing. Took a file and sandpaper to that. I lightly lubed everything including the spring strut.

After that, and dry firing the hell out of it, the trigger is decent.

If you don't care for the grips, you can use Pachmayr Presentation grips that are made for the square butt Redhawks. They fit well enough to not worry about.

8.JPG

6.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hi, thanks for all the info on this gun.

I am going to buy one as soon as I can, (up to the Governor of New Mexico)

Gary

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I had one and sold it. No problems shooting 45 Colt, though I wouldn't advise shooting the heavy stuff with that grip. Lots of problems with light strikes on the 45 ACP, not to mention mediocre accuracy. Shooting aluminum case 45 ACP was impossible. Strikes were so light that half the rounds wouldn't ignite. I think it's a fine gun for shooting standard 45 Colt loads with the option of shooting 45 ACP as a backup, but if you plan to shoot a lot of 45 ACP, the Blackhawk convertible, as mentioned, is something to consider. My BH Convertible shoots 45 ACP with %100 reliability, even with the aluminum case stuff, no moon clips to mess with and accuracy right there with a 1911.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I ordered a new Redhawk on May 7th. Just got it from my FFL today. Will shoot it tomorrow so will post results.
Gun looks great and has a really nice trigger pull.

Gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think mine is in good shape, I fixed the tight extractor. Shot a few rounds of 45 Colt with no issues. Had one light primer strike on 18 rounds of 45 ACP.
Need to setup a good rest to adjust the sights.

Gary

1 - 20 of 26 Posts