Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am sitting bored at home waiting for this coronavirus to pass and I come across a review for the Ruger 57. I was just curious if anybody on here has it ready and what are the pros and cons to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Here this will give you something to do for a half hour or so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already watch that video. I just wanted some other opinions if anybody has purchased and shot it already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I shot one at Ruger Days earlier this year. It is relatively light, but with low recoil. Loud. 20 round magazine and ammo is expensive. Felt really good in the hand and handled very nice, easy to shoot.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I had a chance to rent one at my favorite range a couple months ago. None for sale yet. My son brought his FN 57 for comparison. Both are light weight and handle recoil very well. Grip is full and comfortable in the hand. You could carry this all day with a full mag. I really like the FN but the Ruger was a pleasant surprise. I already have a PS90 so I thought the pistol/rifle combo would be nice. Had there been one in stock that day, it would have found a home in my safe. Hope you get to try one out. Ammo is expensive. American Eagle is about $5 cheaper per box. Otherwise, you’re stuck with the FN stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not too worried about the cost of ammo. I already own the FN FiveseveN, but I just don’t really care for the way it feels. Bass Pro Shops sells the Ruger 57 and it felt better than the FN. I just wonder how it holds up against it. I appreciate all the input

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have one. It is a great blaster that has little recoil and the gun stays very flat in the hand. I ordered a optics baseplate, and installed a Vortex Venom. It is a 6MOA, and I think I want to switch to a 3MOA. I am just more used to the 3 MOA dot I think, and it is a very accurate gun and round. It is great with the dot though. Lock your wrists a little forward and go to town. Stays right on target. I have only shot it at an indoor range, so I only got to check it out to 25 yards. Seems pretty accurate. Would be nice to be able to acquire suppressor height sights so you could co-witness with a dot, and a threaded barrel so I could use my SPECTRE II. Ammo and magazine availability and cost are the only real drawbacks I have experienced so far. Living in Colorado with the 15 round magazine limit makes acquisition of extra magazines challenging. At least I have the 2 that came with the gun. I believe that they so made a 10 round mag version for those who want to buy one in a big brother state. Hard part for me with cool guns like this is bringing enough ammo to the range. Takedown and cleaning are easy, as the 5.7 round is a pretty clean round to shoot. I do not have a security 9, but the grip appears to be very similar, so if you find the 9 to be comfortable you will probably like the 57's feel.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I enjoyed Paul Herrell's review. Especially considering how much more reliable the Ruger 57 was compared to his FN FiveseveN.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So far I will say I like mine, but it hasn't been perfect. I had two malfunctions in the first 200 rounds, both seemed to be mag related. One was a double feed, the other the last round in the mag ended up doing this:

I have to wonder if maybe it was operator error when loading the mags, since the second time I had the pistol to the range I fired 150 trouble-free rounds. All ammo fired has been 40 grain American Eagle.

The trigger is......funky. The gun is a "single action" hammer-fired design, but it has a trigger that feels like a striker-fired gun, and not a very good one at that. Paul Harrell's video posted above illustrates this pretty well. I put "single action" in quotes because when you pull the trigger, the hammer moves ever so slightly back before dropping. Again, kinda like a Glock or similar design where the striker is partially cocked.

I really had to adjust the rear sight to compensate for shooting low and left. Again I wondered if it was just me, however I have heard a few other folks online mention this. Still, could just be me. I do like the combo of a green FO front sight and a blacked-out rear. The thumb safety work well, engages and disengages positively.

I know I kinda have knocked the gun for a couple things but I do like it. It feels nice in my hand, fit & finish is nice, and its easy to field strip. I also enjoy shooting 5.7x28 quite a bit. I'm starting to like these light, fast pistol rounds. I also have a 22 TCM that I really like shooting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting. I just looked it up on Ruger's site and they are calling the trigger a "short stroke double action" design.

·
One Star
9,635 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've run about 300 hundred rounds through my FN Five-seveN and not had a single problem.

I don’t have any problems with my FN either. I just think it feels clunky. Not natural in the hands. The Ruger 57 feels so much better in the hand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had mine for about a month now and have had it to the range twice firing about 150 rounds. No problems whatsoever. I really like the feel of this firearm. It is light, low-recoil, and flat shooting. I like the grip.

Takedown and cleaning are trouble free. I got an Alien Gear shell for my Cloak holster and tried wearing it for an extended period. It is very light and I could not really feel much weight for a full-size gun.

Waiting now to get more ammo but the shops are all closed here in PA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd still go for this one once the lockdown is done.

I’m probably going to purchase the 57. I like my FiveseveN, but it’s bulky, and odd in the hand. Plus I just like guns. LOL

1 - 20 of 42 Posts