Ruger Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
So far I will say I like mine, but it hasn't been perfect. I had two malfunctions in the first 200 rounds, both seemed to be mag related. One was a double feed, the other the last round in the mag ended up doing this:

I have to wonder if maybe it was operator error when loading the mags, since the second time I had the pistol to the range I fired 150 trouble-free rounds. All ammo fired has been 40 grain American Eagle.

The trigger is......funky. The gun is a "single action" hammer-fired design, but it has a trigger that feels like a striker-fired gun, and not a very good one at that. Paul Harrell's video posted above illustrates this pretty well. I put "single action" in quotes because when you pull the trigger, the hammer moves ever so slightly back before dropping. Again, kinda like a Glock or similar design where the striker is partially cocked.

I really had to adjust the rear sight to compensate for shooting low and left. Again I wondered if it was just me, however I have heard a few other folks online mention this. Still, could just be me. I do like the combo of a green FO front sight and a blacked-out rear. The thumb safety work well, engages and disengages positively.

I know I kinda have knocked the gun for a couple things but I do like it. It feels nice in my hand, fit & finish is nice, and its easy to field strip. I also enjoy shooting 5.7x28 quite a bit. I'm starting to like these light, fast pistol rounds. I also have a 22 TCM that I really like shooting.
I've fired several hundred rounds of 40 grain American Eagle with no failures but I've had two failures to feed (out of 10 rounds) with the FN 198 27 grain ammunition. BTW: The American Eagle seems to have sloppy tolerances with OALs ranging from 1.57" to 1.59".

·
Registered
8 Posts
So far I will say I like mine, but it hasn't been perfect. I had two malfunctions in the first 200 rounds, both seemed to be mag related. One was a double feed, the other the last round in the mag ended up doing this:

I have to wonder if maybe it was operator error when loading the mags, since the second time I had the pistol to the range I fired 150 trouble-free rounds. All ammo fired has been 40 grain American Eagle.

The trigger is......funky. The gun is a "single action" hammer-fired design, but it has a trigger that feels like a striker-fired gun, and not a very good one at that. Paul Harrell's video posted above illustrates this pretty well. I put "single action" in quotes because when you pull the trigger, the hammer moves ever so slightly back before dropping. Again, kinda like a Glock or similar design where the striker is partially cocked.

I really had to adjust the rear sight to compensate for shooting low and left. Again I wondered if it was just me, however I have heard a few other folks online mention this. Still, could just be me. I do like the combo of a green FO front sight and a blacked-out rear. The thumb safety work well, engages and disengages positively.

I know I kinda have knocked the gun for a couple things but I do like it. It feels nice in my hand, fit & finish is nice, and its easy to field strip. I also enjoy shooting 5.7x28 quite a bit. I'm starting to like these light, fast pistol rounds. I also have a 22 TCM that I really like shooting.
I have about 300 rounds through my ruger 57 the only problem is as shown in picture couple of times midway through mag and about 4 times the last round out of the Mag stovepipes, Has happened with both stock mags that came with pistol. Trigger has gotten much better with use. If it continues will have to get ahold of Ruger

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, I am sitting bored at home waiting for this coronavirus to pass and I come across a review for the Ruger 57. I was just curious if anybody on here has it ready and what are the pros and cons to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mine would stove pipe the last round out of the magazine sometimes. It has already been sent back to Ruger. Like the pistol other than that. I would wait a few months, let them get the kinks out of this new model of firearm for Ruger

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have about 300 rounds through my ruger 57 the only problem is as shown in picture couple of times midway through mag and about 4 times the last round out of the Mag stovepipes, Has happened with both stock mags that came with pistol. Trigger has gotten much better with use. If it continues will have to get ahold of Ruger
Mine has now been returned to Ruger.

·
Registered
8 Posts

MIne likes to stove pipe the last round out of the magazine alzso. Going back to Ruger for the third time This Monday 6-8-20 I would recommend not purchasing a Ruger 57 for avbout a year new gun new kinks need to be worked out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine has now been returned to Ruger.
Going back to Ruger for the third time Monday 6-8-20 trying to fix stove pipe last round from magazine. They have had a update on the Mags. to help with this problem. Gave me two new ones but problem is still there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I already watch that video. I just wanted some other opinions if anybody has purchased and shot it already.

Wait a year. Mine is going back to Ruger for the third time. Fails to feed last round out of the magazine some times. Ruger sent me two new mags to help with problem. They did a little upgrade, NOT enough upgrade still stove pipes last round out of mag. part time. Wait and let them get the kinks out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apparently they only offer a mounting plate that fits Burris Fastfire or Vortex. Does anyone have any other information?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well have got my Ruger 57 back from Ruger for the third time. Problem is still not fixed. Loaded 4 rounds in mag. 9 times to see if it still would stovepipe the last round out of mag. 4 out of 9 times it did! I only loaded 4 rounds each time to check for function since this ammo is kinda exspensive. Ruger says it should function fine no matter how many you load at a time. Wouls frecommend not buying a Ruger 57 yet. Wait until they get the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I purchased a Ruger 5.7 last Friday and took it to the range today (Tuesday). I was shooting FNH SS197SR Sporting Cartridge (40 gr, V-Max bullet -- green tip).

• I found the gun easier to handle than FN's own 5.7mm pistol. The Ruger 57 is shaped like a "regular" 9mm pistol wit a longer "snoty". The Ruger 57 fits in my Galco Yaqui 202 holster that also fits the Beretta 92fs, Browning Hi-Power, 1911, etc.
  • It was easy to shoot with little recoil. I only shot 80 rounds but shooting 100-500 rounds in a session is easily doable for me. I would have shot 250 rounds but was called away to take care of something. I hope to shoot it again this week.
  • The controls on the pistol are SFTIFF -- the mag release, the take down pin and lever.
  • The sights were not zeroed as best I can tell. The rear sight is adjustable and I will have to look at the manual.
  • The manual is the typical Ruger manual and is helpful. The Ruger 57 is similar in take down to the LC9s.
  • The magazines were a "bugger-bear" to load. Much stiffer than I expected I did not have this problem with the FN 57's magazines. Hopefully, the mags with loosen up as most magazines (from my experience).
  • The Ruger 57 is metal.
  • The 5.7x28mm round is a little bigger in diameter and shorter than the 5.56 mm sound. It's hard to see the holes on a paper targets from several yards away (in the indoor range that I use).
The roughest part of the experience was loading the magazines. Wow, if that's the worst, you can correctly guess that the Ruger 57 is a great 5.7 mm pistol (that outshines the RN 57 in ease of use, tear down, etc.) Based on my experience with other Ruger pistols, the Ruger 57 is make the long haul. Not counting the expensive, this would be a great pistol to teach someone to shoot with. An intermediate step between the .22lr pistols and the 9 mm, .45 ACP pistols. It's a lotta fun!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Went to the range again today and rattle off another 40 rounds. I pre-loaded the magazines at home so that I didn't have to fumble around in shooting gloves.
The Ruger 57 ran like a top. No failures with the FNH ammo.
When I initially prepared it for shooting, I applied Lucas oil sparingly. My experience is that Ruger pistols prefer to run on the drier-side/less oil (than Sigs). When I over-oiled my Mark IV, the pistol had all kinds of problems. It took about 200 rounds for the Mark IV to shake off the excessive oil. Lightly oiling meant that it ran without any problems. I wonder if this could be happening to those mentioning feed problems. The other factor is the Federal 5.7x28mm ammo. Does that make a difference?

The Ruger 57 is fun to shoot and my second outing gave better shoot placement than the first.

HTH

Say, does anyone know where to purchase a mag loader for the Ruger 57?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well my Ruger 57 is heading back to Ruger for the fourth time. 7-8-20 Still stovepipes last round out of magazine part of the time. Don't now if anybody still looks at this forum but I still say don't buy until all the kinks are worked out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well my Ruger 57 is heading back to Ruger for the fourth time. 7-8-20 Still stovepipes last round out of magazine part of the time. Don't now if anybody still looks at this forum but I still say don't buy until all the kinks are worked out.
This is NOT good!

·
Registered
89 Posts
joenap,

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles with your Ruger 57 and your troubles with Ruger production. Personnally, I have come to believe, from reading the RugerForum, that Ruger uses their customers as their QA Department. Too many stories like yours of trips and return trips to Ruger for fixes that either don't work or shouldn't be there is in the first place. I also buy Ruger with caution knowing that I may have to return the firearm to the factory.

In my case, I have experienced no problems yet though, as of today, I only have 360 rounds down the barrel. I did purchase 4 more mags for the R57 but have not experienced any stovepiping or any feed problems. On another pistol, I traced stovepiping to a particular magazine. I have seen issues with Glock 19 mags.

Is yours stovepiping on just one or both magazines? It might be useful to try a buddy's R57 mags.

Again, very sorry for your woes with Ruger,

21 - 36 of 36 Posts