Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I do not have any type of 223/556 rifle and I would really like to get one . I had a couple older model mini's , I believe they were the 180 or 196 series , years ago but was not happy with the accuracy in either one . It's my understanding that Ruger changed the gas block or something to address this issue ? My Lgs has a real nice series 580 stainless ranch with the wooden stock for $589.00 that keeps haunting me . But I've just about talked myself into getting an AR556 .
So , which one would you all choose and why ? Will the 580 series mini and the AR 556 be comparable accuracy wise ? Does anybody have both ?
I would love to hear from you all , thanks .

·
Registered
773 Posts
Look over the 580 series closely, specifically right in front of the gas block. The barrel should taper down for the first inch or so. If it doesn't, it's an early type 580 series with the same pencil barrel (and accuracy problems) that your earlier Minis had.

Yes, there are struts, gas bushing size changes, Wilson 1911 buffers, Choate handguards, Mini200 rear sights, and trigger jobs that help the early Mini's accuracy but the newer 58x series with the thicker barrels are a much better starting point accuracy wise.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok , thanks for the advice COSteve , ill do that . I just assumed Ruger changed that starting with the 580 series . I'm really not not knowledgeable with the minis like I am Rugers single actions . This forum has been great , thanks again .

·
Registered
773 Posts
While the mods are not as necessary on the newer Minis to get them to be decent, they do help an already fairly good shooting rifle. My 583 series Mini-14 now shoots almost 1MOA which is good enough to pop bowling pins at 200yds with ease and if I'm on, pops them at 300yds too. Yep, that's with those mods I mentioned including Mini200 rear sight with smaller .042" aperture and front sight blade thinned to .050" thick and using my handloads.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
If it was the later 580 series Mini 14 then I would opt for the Mini-14 the AR-15 is a awesome rifle with so so many ways to make them custom with so many feature's. Basically the AR-15 has always beaten the Mini-14 accuracy wise but the Mini-14 usually will function better with most ammo vs a AR-15. I have a 188 series Mini-14 with a Barrel Stabilizer or barrel strut. This rifle has always been very reliable.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I have both platforms. I like both. Mine are all reliable.

For some reason, my gut says get the Mini first. If you can grab one for that price, do it. I have tons of ARs, but the Mini is always a performing favorite.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I like the mini and my 580 is a good shooter and one of my favorite guns but I like that style rifle. That being said the AR is far more versatile and even the inexpensive ones have a tendency to be very accurate guns. With so many ways to make it your own. Around here (northern utah) some very good guns can be found in that same price range. The ruger 556 along with offerings from Smith and Wesson, Core15, DPMS and even Colts has a very good carbine for under 700.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I sold my AR and have mini 14 and mini 30.

·
Banned
388 Posts
Hi , I do not have any type of 223/556 rifle and I would really like to get one . I had a couple older model mini's , I believe they were the 180 or 196 series , years ago but was not happy with the accuracy in either one . It's my understanding that Ruger changed the gas block or something to address this issue ? My Lgs has a real nice series 580 stainless ranch with the wooden stock for $589.00 that keeps haunting me . But I've just about talked myself into getting an AR556 .
So , which one would you all choose and why ? Will the 580 series mini and the AR 556 be comparable accuracy wise ? Does anybody have both ?
It seems your biggest question is accuracy, and the simple answer is NO the Mini will not compare. Its actually not even close once the barrel heats up on the mini-14! And yes I used to own a 580 & 581 series and accuracy was horrible compared too my AR556, M&P Sport, LE6920.... I know there are ways to make the Mini more accurate, BUT they are expensive and the Mini is already an over priced rifle most new are $730 + tax, when compared to the AR556 at $600 OTD.

Don't get me wrong Mini's are great for what they are, they will eat anything you put in them and run forever! Well actually my AR556 will eat anything also and if anything breaks extra parts are at practically at any gun shop! Which is also another benefit of the AR platform!:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
But I've just about talked myself into getting an AR556 .
I own both. Without question, the AR 556 would be my choice.

IMO, the AR is a better designed rifle.

If you're interested in adding optics or extended range sessions, the AR is the way to go.

I'm not knocking the Ranch Rifle, I love mine. It does have it's limitations though.

Best of Luck :)

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
It's hard to say. I wouldn't give up either one of mine. Love my Mini and love my AR. But, I will say this; I've had the Mini-14 for 29 years, but I always still wanted an AR. Finally got one about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well , I do appreciate all the comments . I went back and looked at it after I posted like costeve suggested and the barrel does not taper coming out of the gas block so I guess it must be an early 580 . I had two before , the 180 series I think , that shot horribly so I'm going to pass on this one .
Thanks all for the input .

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a 580 series with a skinny barrel. I would pay the full price for a 583 but I would not for a 580. That was the first year the "new" Mini's came out. But, that's me.

kwg

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The Mini 14 is a piston operated rifle which means that it does not spew propellant all over the action when it shoots. The AR design does this; it is a very dirty design, as all of us who were equipped with M-16s unhappily learned.

I prefer the Mini 14 for this reason.

The Ruger SR556 is the best of both worlds, with a piston design and AR barrel and rails. It is a bit heavier than the AR though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I should add that I also have 3 ARs, 2 of which RRAs; a mid length gas system carbine and an 20" A4 rifle as well a S&W M&P15 Mid Magpul MOE Spec Series (my son 'liberated' my RRA carbine). They all shoot well but I'm not a fan of the bulky AR style as much as the Mini even though I've had them a decade longer than my Mini Ranch Rifle.

I guess that Basic Training with the M14 and a fondness for the M1 Garand (2ea), M1 Carbine (2ea), and M1A (1ea) demonstrates my comfort with the manual of arms the Mini uses as well. Besides 'wood and steel' just feels better than 'plastic and aluminum' to me. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts