Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
How did your hand and face manage all those escaping hot gasses? I hope they aren't the "bacon" that you're referring to.

What is the cause?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
In this case, a picture is not worth a thousand words. So, squib or what? How did an exploding rifle save your bacon. We need the full story.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Lucky.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
So rupedoggy was your bad reload a double powder charge?? Man I am glad you are ok, I see a Ruger M77 Tang Safety my personal favorite cannot get a better made bolt rifle!!! Had the rifle been a different design:eek: you might not be here!!! I had two of these Ruger M77 Tang Safety rifles a .270 & .243 simply such a great design as you have the pictures to prove it. But again so glad that the outcome was good for you. Thanks for sharing! BTW nice buck in your avatar pic

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Looks like the action did what it's supposed to do. Call Midway and Brownells on Monday, get some new parts, she'll be fine. ;)

Unfortunately, Ruger won't fix a tanger, but they might work with you on a replacement rifle. As a reload, of course, it's non-warranty, but Ruger's pretty good to work with.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I thought maybe you used it to club a wild boar to death with.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
I got distracted by that buck too. What a monster! Glad you're okay and welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
This sort of shows what goes into designing a safe (as possible) rifle action, of note is the brass plated inner bolt shroud and partially blown out bolt stop. These features prevented a blast of gas and brass from being ejected out through the inner left side of the receiver.

Great photos, thank you for sharing all of this - many would have quietly dumped the destroyed rifle in the trash on a dark night.

May I guess - pistol powder in the .25-06 or a greatly reduced charge of extra slow burning rifle powder like H1000 or such.

Have seen stuff like this where the receiver ring was busted in two and the barrel tossed down range - but the massively strong M77 action held together keeping the bolt contained inside the receiver ring - investment castings are strong.

Possibly another set of photos might be posted - like after the barrel is unscrewed showing the inside of the receiver ring and bolt face.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Glad you're OK ! If you don't mind please give us more information about the load and perhaps the circumstances surrounding this so we may learn! Thank you very much for having the nuts to post this.

Is that nice buck from your area?

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
For years, we had a buck that sort of looked like that visit out back yard in late December. He sort of became menacing at the end. Possibly, he got arrowed, hit by a car, taken down by coyotes or died of old age.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the comments and insight. I will try to give more. I don't know exactly what caused this. My friend gave me a box of reloads and the first one blew. He has reloaded for years without incident. Another reloader friend took apart a round remaining and said the charge was right on the money. It was supposed to be 45 grains of H4350 (couldn't double charge that). When he looked closely there were some flakes of powder along with the cylindrical powder. I have sumised he dumped his hopper into the wrong container after reloading some pistol or hotter powder rifle rounds. Something to remember if the canisters look alike.
I know the rifle is toast but Ruger has requested to have it sent to them. Pretty nice of them to do an evaluation. No I don't think they will rebuild that one. As someone pointed out, the brass flowed/plated a lot of things. I don't know what pressure was present but it had to be off the charts. Serial number 77-26878 is history!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad you're OK ! If you don't mind please give us more information about the load and perhaps the circumstances surrounding this so we may learn! Thank you very much for having the nuts to post this.

Is that nice buck from your area?
I forgot to answer the buck question. I live near Placerville Ca. and though I would never say that a buck like that would not be here, I have never seen one. I got this guy in New Mexico near the Texas border. I am a deer hunting nut and have hunted most of the Western States. Mike

·
Registered
917 Posts
Wow. Bet you had to clean your britches out after that one! Good for you you were not hurt.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts