Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new and probably putting this in the wrong spot and I'm sure someone will let me know but here goes:

I have a Ruger AC556 shorty that is not cycling properly, meaning that when I do 3 round burst, once or twice it will fire fine, most of the time I have to manually eject the 3rd casing out of the gun. When I place the selector switch into full auto, it want's to do burst mode only!

I'm using PMC .223 55gr and the original 20 round magazines that came with it. I have not tried any other ammo or magazines with it so far.

I did take it to a gunsmith to check out and he adjusted the gas port and cleaned up. He tested fired it into his "drum" and it ran like it was supposed to. He also told me that it was doing so due to the fact it was in an enclosed space.

I picked it up the next day after he was finished with it to do my own test fire and it did the same thing it was doing when I took it to them to start with.

Anybody here got any experience with the AC556 that can help me with my problem?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Wow, I wish I had this problem... I'd love an AC556.

Have you spoken (or emailed) Ruger? They may be helpful.
Yeah, and I've heard the shorty model is the best.

Seriously OP, first off, welcome to the forum. Second, may we assume you have an AR-556 with a 30 round magazine?

If so, I'd suggest that if you have not already done so, you need to give it a good and thorough cleaning to make sure you remove all the packing oil that it most likely was covered in when you got it out of the box. Then give everything a light coat of lube.

If the only time it has jammed for you, I suspect what may be happening is that when you try to fire your "three round bursts," is that you are doing what is known as feathering your trigger. While your rifle should fire pretty much as fast as you can operate the trigger, you do need to make sure the trigger resets each time you fire before firing the next shot. If you pull it before it resets, that will cause jams.

I'd slow down a tad, at least for now. If you continue to have issues, though, call Ruger customer service. They're the best in the business, and they'll take care of you.

Edit: as the OP's response reveals, I am an idiot. As Gilda Radner used to say on SNL: oops.... never mind. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey ditto1958,

1. thanks for the welcome.
2. I don't have an AR-556, I have an AC556 (looks just like my avatar)and it came with 2
20 round mags and 1 30.

I got this 2nd hand from the Idaho police department. I had a gunsmith/armor clean it and adjust the gas port.

When shooting in burst mode, I hold the trigger in until it's time to shoot again but I still have to manually eject the 3rd spent shell casing. When I tried shooting in FA, it wants to act like burst mode.

I did try to talk to Ruger customer service but they told me since they don't service them anymore they couldn't help me! So here I am

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Ah... my mistake. You DO have an issue for a gunsmith, or at least an expert on guns with fun switches.

As long as I have already put my foot in my mouth, what the heck, might as well keep it there. Have you tried any other ammo? Perhaps that could be the ticket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all is good, you can remove ur foot...haven't tried any other ammo, I was going to but decided to take it back so they could have another crack at her. I do have some white box Winchester 5.56 55gr but I'm thinking bout getting some 62gr and see if that may or may not solve the problem. But I have to wait and see what they say.

·
Royal Emissary
1,083 Posts
I found this article on the web. About half way down there is the name of a guy that deals in these. He might have some ideas.

AC556

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
To me, judging from my limited experience with machine guns, sounds like you may have two problems.

1. Sounds like a weak extractor spring or worn extractor.

2. The full auto sear may be worn and not allowing it to run in full instead of burst.

In general it sounds like you just have a few worn parts. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to give thanks for everyone who has responded to my request for help. Just wanted to give everyone an update, it's been fixed and runs like a champ according to the gunsmith/armor who has it. I will pick it up tomorrow, he's also made a video for me to show it does work. He made adjustments to the gas port and did a few other things to it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just wanted to give thanks for everyone who has responded to my request for help. Just wanted to give everyone an update, it's been fixed and runs like a champ according to the gunsmith/armor who has it. I will pick it up tomorrow, he's also made a video for me to show it does work. He made adjustments to the gas port and did a few other things to it!
What problem(s) did he find? I have heard that if you run too many consecutive rounds of .22lr through the weapon (using a Ciener conversion), you can lead up the barrel's gas port. I was always told to run a couple rounds of 5.56/.223 through a Mini/AC immediately after firing 500 rounds of .22lr. That will blow out any lead that has accumulated in the gas system. The Ciener conversion does run very nicely in an AC.

By the way, welcome to the AC brotherhood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts