Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although I have many semi-autos I like to carry wheel guns for CCW because I like the simplicity, accuracy, and the fact that it goes bang "every" time I pull the trigger. Up until now I have carried either my 2" 8 round S&W N frame .357 mag or a pair of 2.5" Colt Pythons. I know that the 44 Special round is an excellent CCW choice so I decided to spring for a Ruger Alaskan in 44mag.

The rubber Hogue grips are a little grippy on my shirts so I changed out the rubber mono grips for some Hogue Cocobolo Combat Grips. The only down side to these new grips are that they came as square-butts and print pretty badly. I decided to break out the old belt sander and go to work on them. I turned the square-butts into round-butts in an hour or so. I had a $5 grip repair kit from Hogue that consists of abrasive buffing compound and a chunk of Carnuba Wax. After sanding them down to 600 grit I went to work with the abrasive compound and the wax. They now look like they came from the factory this way.

Enjoy,
MadDog :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to send it off soon to Gemini Customs who is going to do an action job, polish out the cylinder, hammer & trigger to a mirror finish, remover the checkering from the thumb spur and serrate it, remove the warning garbage on the left side of the barrel, bead blast the frame for a frosted finish, replace the front sight with a partridge style with 14k gold bead, de-horn all sharp corners and last but not least put three ports in the top of the barrel. I have seen videos of Marc's porting on lightweight S&W 44 mags and they have almost "no" muzzle rise with full house 44 mag ammo.

I will post pictures as soon as he finished his work but that will probably be 6 or 8 weeks from now.

MadDog

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Looks great, looking forward to the further pics.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Or at least give him a bad enough face burn that can easilly be identified by the Police.

MadDog
You sir, have made my day. I honestly LOL'd at this one! :D :D

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,305 Posts
That may be a bit overkill for CCW but hey, to each his own.

It depends on where you live and where you work. Before I retired, I carried an S&W 460V five inch barrel revolver and two speed loaders concealed when I was working many miles off road in wilderness areas with the possibility of running into a brown bear, mountain lion, or pissed of moose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That may be a bit overkill for CCW but hey, to each his own.
And people tell me this is overkill all the time when they see these pictures. Two of a kind beats a speed loader in my book. I like the 44 special round for CCW and can certainly handle the weight of this beast. I guess I could have gotten a light Ti-Scan S&W 44 mag but they are no fun to shoot on a regular basis with full house ammo. I do have an all stainless S&W 696 in 44 special which weighs the same as the Alaskan but that is only a 5 rounder.

MadDog :eek:

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Heavy but great ccw piece. It is also very intimidating if you have to produce it. i would polish the muzzle of the barrel polished bright to look even bigger.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice looking, right now I have two guns at Gemini should be ready by end of next week has been the longest 5 weeks I can remember. S&W Mod 60 full action job bead blasted Big dot an ported an grips, S&W 642 bead Blasted, ported, big dot having chamber an barrel high polish cant wait will post pics soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice! I've lusted over the .454 Alaskan for a while, but I'm not committed enough to carry it, yet, so I'm making due with my LCR. Looking forward to seeing it when it comes back from Gemini.

GregB

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
And people tell me this is overkill all the time when they see these pictures. Two of a kind beats a speed loader in my book. I like the 44 special round for CCW and can certainly handle the weight of this beast. I guess I could have gotten a light Ti-Scan S&W 44 mag but they are no fun to shoot on a regular basis with full house ammo. I do have an all stainless S&W 696 in 44 special which weighs the same as the Alaskan but that is only a 5 rounder.

MadDog :eek:

I carried a Para p1445 steel iwb for 12 hours a day for years. I used a galco holster and a heavy 13/4 inch gunbelt and it was fine. That combo was way heavier than an alaskan so go for it. By the way a New York reload 2 guns is a good Idea.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts