Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a Ruger American 22LR. I cleaned it and took it to the range and shot it from my sandbags. The bullets were dancing all around the target. I tried puttting the sandbag on the front of the stock, in the middle, and right under the receiver and the gun seamed to shoot differently from each position with no noticeable pattern. I would shoot a 3/4 inch group and then bang two flyers. I finally put it in the middle and shot really carefully and the shots were mostly the same windage but the elevation differed. I then looked at the stock and it is flimsy. It is not rigid at all. Could this be my issue because the stock might be be touching the barrel? I was hopeing to get at least a 1" group at 50 yards and I am lucky to get a 2".
Any help would be welcome here.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If shots are dancing around, could be something is loose. 1 inch at 50 yards, iron sights, stock rifle, that's a big ask, imho.

Should be at least be able to group the shots though.

Aftermarket is your friend.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm no expert but I think the american rimfire is affected by the stock screws on the underside similar to the 10/22's, I'm pretty sure the recommended torque is 35 in pounds but you should surely verify that. I know all my 10/22's actually like less torque. Just an idea good luck

·
Super Moderator
21,207 Posts
I would try different brands of ammo before I reached that conclusion. Some can be ammo sensitive. Have you mounted a scope?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would try different brands of ammo before I reached that conclusion. Some can be ammo sensitive. Have you mounted a scope?

Yes I have a Tasco 3-9x40 scope. While I was sighting it in I had it on the 5 power and then on the 9 power

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,575 Posts
Rimfire ammo is a big variable. Every rifle has it's favorites. Try getting six or eight different types in 50ct boxes. Shoot groups and save targets. Fire a few rounds of any particular type before shooting groups to get the bore conditioned. Make sure everything is snugged down. Enjoy the shooting

·
Registered
2 Posts
My RAR was the compact model and benefited nicely from a small rubber pad between the barrel and the forward most part of the forend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are really after small groups, parallax with the scope could even be in play here.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts