Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a lot of work to my rar 270. Did my own trigger job on it, spring , shims, light polish which it really didn’t need to achieve anything. And I put a bell and Carson sporter fiberglass stock on it . Personally I thought it to be the nicest hunting style stock available . I have many Boyd’s stock but really wanted the b&c as this is my primary hunting rifle. One thing I have noticed and there is a list of issues I’ll get to in future posts is recoil. In the original plastic stock the gun came in the gun was virtually recoilless. I’m serious , my M-77mkii in a laminate stock has measurably more recoil than my 270 and my dads old browning a bolt in a walnut stock has more recoil ..... that is no longer the case . Once swapping to the bell and Carson fiberglass stock my gun now has considerable recoil. The new stock is heavier , still a light stock but the pillars are part of a one piece aluminum shank that extends the length of the stock and its overmolded in fiberglass. I have played around with the torque specs , and even when shooting this gun from a bench with in a rest as you can see in my avatar is has considerable recoil. It’s not like terrible or unbearable , but first off the 270 isn’t a recoil monster , none I’ve ever shot have been, and now mine is more up there closer to 30-06 level IMO. I have pulled the action out of the stock and did a little light sanding on the pillars to ensure quality contact between the pillars and the action. It did have a little fiber glass residue on the front end of the v blocks but I’m talking extremely minimal. You think the slight increase in weight actually increased the recoil. The gun was light bad a feather in the original plastic stock , or do you think there is and actual problem ?

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Stock configuration, length of pull and drop at comb all play a part in felt recoil. Heavier stocks generally reduce felt recoil though.

For every action there is a reaction, you changed stocks so you can expect different felt recoil, it just wasn’t what you had in mind. I don’t think you have a problem other than a change in recoil. Has accuracy fallen off? If it has, you’ve got problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes accuracy has fallen off. I was gonna make a separate post on that later. Matter of fact I cannot get a group period . I have a new vortex razor hd lh, on a dnz one piece mount . The rings are torqued to 18”lbs and the base 25” lbs. should be nothing wrong there. Only thing is stocky stock which is where I ordered the stock from sent some generic instructions that said with aluminum pillars the stock to action torque should be 50-60” lbs. i put it at 55 and it was literally spraying any type of ammo I put through it all over the paper at 100 yards. I bore sighted to 100 so I started off at 100. I lowered the torque to 50 and still spraying , I will say I think it’s a slight improvement at 50 lbs but minimal. I called bell and Carson and they said reguardless of what stocky stock said they recommend 45-50 no more than 50” lbs. I’ve adjusted it to 45 but haven’t shot it since . I feel I have more of problem , I could understand if the groups were big but not as good as my previous stock from over torque but all over the paper makes me think there has to be another issue.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
I’m pretty sure it’s to tight, spraying your shots is usually a sign the action screw is to tight. Also pay attention to your trigger guard screws, they can also be torque tuned for better accuracy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which trigger guard screw are you referring to. The one that is an actual action screw or the rear one that simply holds the back end of the guard to the stock. I think I know which one you are talking about , which is the front. B&c say both screws 45-50. And to tighten the forward most screw last. I guess I can play around with the rear screw when I get back to the range next time. I’m hoping 45” lbs on the action screws shows a difference at least . I would say if it’s spraying at 45” lbs then there’s more of a problem

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just proves that old adage... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
13 Posts
This has me a bit worried as I was thinking about this stock to try build a nicer feeling rifle on my 7mm mag. Do you notice the mag well is tighter with the bc stock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts