Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get the american 308 rifle and have it cut down to 14 1/2 in has any one done this if so how did it shoot. It will be used for hunting here in NC is majority woods so long shots are rare.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Get the predator it has an 18 in. barrel and keep your money. 14 in. barrel you will need tax stamp and such, why do that?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the RAR compact 308 with the 18" barrel. It shoots sub MOA with some commercial loads, and with some hand loads. I lose about 150 fps, give or take, from published velocities in longer barrels.

I really like the rifle.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
As mentioned above, anything below 16" will need an ATF tax stamp unless you pin and weld a muzzle device that brings the length of the barrel to 16". I have cut down and threaded my Ruger American rimfire to 16.25" but that's only because I'm running it suppressed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My plan was to put a silencerco 762 suppressor adapter on it and pin it inplace. Should i seek that rought or go 300 blackout piston any opinions would be great

·
Banned
650 Posts
I would check out the function of the magazine on the RAR. I was going to buy a RAR but I ended up with an Axis II XP because of the magazine latch on the RAR.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My plan was to put a silencerco 762 suppressor adapter on it and pin it inplace. Should i seek that rought or go 300 blackout piston any opinions would be great

It depends on what suppressor you're going to run. I have an AAC 762 SDN6 so all my rifles have the AAC 51T muzzle brake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts