Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't planning on getting one but I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a Ruger American 7mm Mag. I've done some searching and haven't found much on the rifle. I plan on using it for an elk hunt here in AZ in December. What rings and optics do you guys use? Any advice on store bought ammo that shoots well? Or any advice with the rifle would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
"The Real Deal"
7,081 Posts
Well, I have experience with the 7mm rem mag, just not an american. Mine is a winchester model 70. I run a set of leupold bases and rings on mine, and they work well. My favorite is the egw mount, and a set of weaver tactical rings. I use the weaver rings on more than 10 rifles I own. Either are good. The egw mount allows you to add just about any scope imaginable to a bolt gun with out the action and stock rings limiting you. Have the egw or evolution gun works mounts on 2 of my bolt guns. I run a nikon prostaff 3x9x50 bdc on mine, around $200, great clear optic. I also recommemd vortex optics, both are great, and own more than several of both.

As far as ammo I shoot the factory winchester silver ballistic tip in mine, highly accurate. Never hunted with mine, but a great hunting round is the accubond bullet nosler makes. Its used in alot of factory rounds and dead right there on deer.

Might also recommend a witt machine custom muzzle brake. I have a boss on my model 70. It does wonders for recoil reduction. I installed a witt machine custom brake on my savage 111 in 270 win. Best money I ever spent, $89. Highly recommended.

Just a few things you can look into. Hope that helps, good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I appreciate it! I meant to ask about muzzle breaks in the original and forgot about it. Good to know!

·
"The Real Deal"
7,081 Posts
Thanks I appreciate it! I meant to ask about muzzle breaks in the original and forgot about it. Good to know!

Glad I could help.

The witt machine muzzle brake is really a great addition. If you have a micrometer, just measure your barrel per witts directions, and place your order. The brake I ordered cerakote black to match the blue barrel its the clamp on version, my barrel is not threaded.. A little loctite, and tighten it on, it will not move. My savage is very light, and jumped alot when firing it. After the brake, the rifle cut the recoil by half but as much as 60 to 70 % in my opinion. It tightened my groups as well. I highly recommend it. My winchester 70 with its boss is very easy on your shoulder. I have fired one without, and its night and day difference. Just remember when adding a muzzle device the trade off is the increase in sound. So if I fired it repeatedly, I would wear hearing protection. You may be able to get away with a single shot, but I always wear my plugs.

Here is my savage 111 with a witt brake, egw scope base, weaver tactical 6 hole rings, and nikon 4x12x40 buckmaster bdc scope, all the gear I was talking about.

Attachments

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,046 Posts
I like the looks of Tacky's rifles. Just note that he is shooting at the range, not hunting with them. I don't hunt wearing hearing protection. It is uncomfortable to wear for hours on end, and you're likely to forget in the rush to get a shot off when an animal presents itself. The report of a magnum rifle directed back at you can damage your hearing with a single shot. My 22" barreled .270 and .30-06 without brakes have not. The best compromise would be a professionally installed brake that can be opened or closed at will. The brake can be used at the range (the guy on the next lane won't like you) and turned off in the woods. You just have to experiment to find if there is point of impact shift with your chosen load.
As for ammo be sure to use a heavy/tough projectile in your 7mm Mag rifle. Deer loads are not the best choice when hunting big bodied elk. My friend here in Georgia has lost deer when Ballistic Tips blew up on the shoulder of a big buck up close. Try Partitions, Accubonds, and other bullets with controlled expansion to get the penetration you need on a bull elk. The new monolithic bullets like the TSX, GMX and others might be a good choice. They drive deep, won't break up, and offer the possibility of reduced recoil since you can shoot a lighter weight projectile and still get the down-range performance of a heavier cup and core bullet.
Good luck shooting and hunting with your new rifle!

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
I hunted with a Browning 1885 Highwall 7 MM Rem Mag for many years. Had a great big old Cabellas variable 6.5-20 X 44 on it. Never needed a muzzle break or anything to shoot it. Always sighted it in every year wearing just a tee shirt. Never had a sore shoulder even after a whole box of rounds. Wonderful long gun and a wonderful round. Quit hunting and traded it off. Used Underwood 139 gr and 162 gr rounds. Great performance and would really reach out there. Took Pronghorns in Wyoming at 375 yards +. Never missed a white tail or muley I shot at with it. Hunting with a single shot makes you be very careful 'cause a second shot usually is just not there. Late in the evening you could see two feet of fire blasting out the muzzle. My favorite all time round for hunting anything in North America. Kept the scope for my Ruger American 30-06 Wolf Camo but haven't mounted it yet. Let us know what rings you buy.

By the way, I also have a Ruger American .308 that I had threaded for a can because I found some subsonic ammo. It is now a 16" barrel but it looks great.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I have an older Ruger 7mm, the "boat paddle stock" version, no brake, never felt the need for one. Its topped with a 4x12 which is sufficient out to 500yds.

If you roll your own the load possibilities are endless. Excellent choice for Elk.

Enjoy.

Here Kitty Kitty

·
"The Real Deal"
7,081 Posts
I like the looks of Tacky's rifles. Just note that he is shooting at the range, not hunting with them. I don't hunt wearing hearing protection. It is uncomfortable to wear for hours on end, and you're likely to forget in the rush to get a shot off when an animal presents itself. The report of a magnum rifle directed back at you can damage your hearing with a single shot. My 22" barreled .270 and .30-06 without brakes have not. The best compromise would be a professionally installed brake that can be opened or closed at will. The brake can be used at the range (the guy on the next lane won't like you) and turned off in the woods. You just have to experiment to find if there is point of impact shift with your chosen load.
As for ammo be sure to use a heavy/tough projectile in your 7mm Mag rifle. Deer loads are not the best choice when hunting big bodied elk. My friend here in Georgia has lost deer when Ballistic Tips blew up on the shoulder of a big buck up close. Try Partitions, Accubonds, and other bullets with controlled expansion to get the penetration you need on a bull elk. The new monolithic bullets like the TSX, GMX and others might be a good choice. They drive deep, won't break up, and offer the possibility of reduced recoil since you can shoot a lighter weight projectile and still get the down-range performance of a heavier cup and core bullet.
Good luck shooting and hunting with your new rifle!
Thanks for the praise, I find myself building whats useful for me.;)

Your correct I quit hunting several years ago, now have friends that bring me venison so I have no need to go. I do enjoy varmimt or feral hog hunting some. But your correct I would not think of shooting alot without hearing protection with a muzzle brake. I also do not like to wear hearing protection for long periods, even at the range. Its worse shooting the 50bmg with plugs and muffs, my max at one time is 20 rounds.
The reason I have my winchester 7mm is because the previous owner was a hunter, and could not stand the boss on it. So he traded me even for a pistol I had. It does not bother me since I burn most of my powder at the range, wearing hearing protection. But remember the good thing about the witt brake it can be removed and they offer a money back gurantee if its not your cup of tea. I just figured I would lend my experience with their products since the OP asked for information.
Threading the barrel is not an option for alot of people, with a gunsmith locally that can handle the task, or that the owner trusts to modify. The witt brake handles that with no machining.
Your also correct I would not use a ballistic silver tip on elk, being the OP is after factory ammo, rounds with the barnes tsx, ttsx, nosler accubond, hornady gmx, as well as some of the other bonded bullets on the market are a great choice. When I was hunting I depended on the accubond 140 grain with w760 powder in my 270 win. I reload most of my ammo which gives me flexibility, but that combination was a dead right there on deer.

You lend some great advice that the OP can trust.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also use EGW bases with Weaver Tactical rings. I have this setup on several rifles, and have never had a problem.

The scope you'll want will depend on how far you are expecting to hunt game at. A 4-12 power should be suitable for big game up to 400-500 yards. Especially if it has a BDC. The Vortex Diamondback would be a nice scope on this rifle, or even better would be a 4-16 power Vortex Viper.

Good luck.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Can anyone tell what the barrel profile is on the Ruger American Magnum in 7mm??? Been searching but no can find.

Thanks,
BW

·
"The Real Deal"
7,081 Posts
Can anyone tell what the barrel profile is on the Ruger American Magnum in 7mm??? Been searching but no can find.

Thanks,
BW
My guess is a sporter profile ( light) since the rifle is meant to be used for hunting, hence a light weight rifle that handles easy, and not heavy to carry around in the field. Thats the best guess I believe.;)

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks,
BW
It's heavier than the m77 magnum profile. It's actually a lot heavier rifle than I thought it would be. Take that as you will.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have the Nikon monarch 5 2-10x44 on my RAR .30-06 for deer and hogs. Really nice scope, good magnification range, and very clear glass. Natchessz has them dirt cheap. The only thing annoying is they only come with the nikon ballistic reticle. I have another one on a .300 win mag too. Leupold prw medium rings too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts