Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. First time poster here. Recently picked up an American pistol, first firearm I own, YAY!)
Bringing it to the range, most every shot in the grouping is about 2 inches higher than the aim point (conservative estimate, average) at ranges from 7-12 yards. This is using a set of Novak's iron sights, with no elevation adjustment available.
I can't link to the product page for the novak sights on shopruger, not enough posts.
The sights came with the gun when purchased, which I don't believe are stock (could be wrong, either way it's all I got).
The question to you all is, keeping iron sights in mind, which sight pair, Ruger or 3rd party, would you recommend? Is there something I could potentially install with some height adjustment? Any other advice?
Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Since you state that it is the first firearm you've ever owned, I gotta ask about your sight picture. Are you aligning the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight? Are you aligning the top of the front sight with the bottom of the target? Are you focusing on the front sight when aiming? All these will have an effect on shot placement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you state that it is the first firearm you've ever owned, I gotta ask about your sight picture. Are you aligning the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight? Are you aligning the top of the front sight with the bottom of the target? Are you focusing on the front sight when aiming? All these will have an effect on shot placement.
This is the first firearm I have owned, as in purchased since being legal age. I have used others in the past, sometimes extensively.
I line up the three dots, and at first covered the target (first few shots, about 3 inches high), then slightly lower, and lower, until i was aiming about 2 inches below where I wanted to hit, leaving a clear space between the top of the sights and my intended target. Yes I was focusing on the front sight.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,018 Posts
What ammo were you shooting? Have you tried several brands and weights? If you were shooting 124gr then try some 115gr. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I often ask someone else to shoot a new gun if I don’t hit with it at first just for comparison.
As stated it could be a slight grip adjustment or how you sight or ammo or all of the above plus some, just try to always shoot using same method so you can eliminate or ar least identify which way to go. Same distance same target(s) and so on.
Good luck and welcome lots of info to be had here, I have picked up quite a few tips myself.
Enjoy your new sport

1 - 7 of 7 Posts