Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Ruger American 9mm today and wanted to try out the different back straps to see what would suit me. At first, I tried to turn the screw the 1/4 turn counterclockwise as instructed. Well, I was a little concerned with the looseness of the torx wrench they gave and was afraid of stripping out the torx hole. I got the wrench to tighten up but could not get it to turn the 1/4 turn to take off the back strap. Well here I discovered Ruger left the screw unlocked and I popped off the strap and installed the one I wanted.When I tried to lock the strap with a 1/4 turn clockwise once again it wouldn't move. I told off the strap and can turn the screw up and down with ease, put the strap on and I can't move the screw. I don't want to force it and strip the torx so I left it go and assume the strap isn't locked down. Anyone else have this issue or can point me on what todo?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Picked up my American 9mm on Friday, screw seemed to turn alright, but it was near impossible to remove back strap. After changing then three times, it's not to bad and the trox screw turns real nice. I use the trox bit in my Wheeler screwdriver kit now and it seems to fit better than the factory one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't had any trouble with the backstrap screw using any T-10 Torx bit. I did find it very hard to get the factory installed backstrap off the first few times, and nearly impossible to get the large one on or off. I've resorted to using a large punch and small hammer on the bottom of the lock hole to drive the backstrap down far enough to peel it off. It won't matter anymore, as I'm going to leave the large one on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Came up with a solution and I agree on one thing, the large back strap was a bear to even try to get on. The small and medium are fairly easy, but the large is another story. I had to fight to get it on an off. I ended up picking the medium so hopefully I will leave it at that. I ended up digging out my hex key set and the smallest one fit exactly into the top of the screw and turned it like a champ. I agree that the factory Torx key is a little flimsy in the fit.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
jeffksr2,
Welcome to the forum. I am glad you got it all worked out. When I switched mine to the small grip it went very smooth. Now I am glad I don't have huge hands. Don't know if the wife is pleased but I sure am. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts