Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me say I've been reading these forums for quite some time but this is only my first or second post since joining. My current Ruger collection includes a SR1911-9mm, SR1911- .45 Lightweight Commander, SR22, Mark III 22/45, Mark IV 22/45, American Compact in 9mm and a soon to be delivered Wrangler. Two 10/22's and a Ruger PC Carbine.

However, I now have a question about the 12-round magazine for the American Compact Pistol. As see in the attached photos, the 12-round mag does not sit flush with the bottom of the grip. All of the 10-round mags fit flush and on the Ruger website, the 17 round magazine shows a sleeve that can be purchased to make it flush with the Compact model.

There does not appear to be an available small sleeve to take up the gap on the 12-round mag shown in the photos. Has anyone found or know where to find a small sleeve to fill that gap on the 12-round mags?

Thanks.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material
Revolver Sleeve Grey Trigger Handgun holster
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

·
Registered
414 Posts
That it's a crazy big gap! I expected to see a 1mm gap like on my A9 compact but this is ridiculous. Can't remember if I have 10 or 12 rounders for mine. I'll check tomorrow when I'm back home.

·
Registered
414 Posts
have you shot the pistol yet? Does it chamber ok? all you have are 12 round mags? was wondering if not could you post a pick of the 12 next to a different one. thinking maybe the cut in the magazine for the catch might be in wrong location, although I've never actually seen that happen before. not to say it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Like 5timpy says, check if 10 rounder mag latch hole matches up with 12 and 17 rounder holes. Just spit balling here, but maybe you have a model 8633 10 round manual thumb safety model that came standard with 10 rounders and that it MIGHT have a different magazine latch that puts the 10 rounder magazine latch hole in a different spot than the model 8639 17 round manual thumb safety model or 8635 17 round pro model. If that is the case, depending which way the hole goes, I would think the 12 and 17 rounder would not strip and charge the round into the breach and if it did it would be a jammed up mess or the 12 and 17 rounder will not lock in at all because it is running into slide.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Back to the simplest explanation is that the magazine is not fully inserted and locked in. The magazine latch is new and stiff and once hitting that resistance not enough force is being used to drive on home. Try depressing magazine latch once getting to that point of resistance against the latch. Taking slide off and observing how far all magazines seat is another thing you could do.
I have nothing else I could think of without a response.
EDIT:
Look for instructions on inserting magazine into frame after takedown in reply #9.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Never seen that before. Are you in California? My guess is maybe the California compliant pistols limited to 10 rounds have been engineered to not accept the 12 round mags. I would suggest contacting Ruger and see what they can do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dug my Rap c out today and took it down, removed the slide and inserted the magazine into the frame only to be reminded that there is a magazine takedown block. You cannot fully insert the magazine with the takedown lever in the takedown position. Nor can you fully turn takedown lever 90 degrees to full unlock and takedown and remove slide with magazine in the pistol.

The takedown lever actuates the bar takedown that actuates the takedown actuator that will not fully actuate if there is a magazine in there! That is a lot of actuations going on right there😂. It is a safety thing to not try to take down if the magazine is still in the pistol.

Flip the takedown lever back (counter clockwise) to lock before trying to insert a magazine. If you look in the mag well on the rear side you will see a little bit of metal pop out as you rotate takedown lever clockwise 90 degrees to disassemble and of course disappear when going counter clockwise to lock. Remember to flip the lever back clockwise 90 degrees at the disassembly position before trying to reassemble the slide onto the frame.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok, butt plate is different in your photo, more reminiscent to a 10 rounder, also the magazine itself looks more like the 10 rounder where the 2 grooves are in relationship to butt plate. Is this an aftermarket magazine? The pictures have tags of airgun recreations, etc. If you are trying to stuff 12 rounds into a 10 rounder or convert a 10 rounder to 12, modified or not, probably pretty hard to get to lock. If this is some fake air gun.....That's it, I am out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Check with Ruger. I carry a a Security 9 compact. It is a 10 round magazine but can take a 15 round magazine made for its larger namesake. There is an adapter that takes up that exceaaive space. Maybe they make one to fit your needs. The photo shows my 15 round mags with and without the adapter.

Wood Rectangle Font Tints and shades Gas
Wood Rectangle Font Tints and shades Gas

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It looks like you have a 10 round mag baseplate for a compact instead the correct baseplate for the 12 round.

The 10 round mags are only for complient states. The polymer baseplate actually goes into the mag well on those. The regular baseplate should look like this near the mag well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
12/01/212
Thanks to all for your input. To answer few follow up questions, the 12-round mag seats just fine. I've shot a few hundred rounds through my RAC with the 12 round mags in place and never had an issue, shoots the same as with the 10-round magazines. The baseplate is the one that came with the magazine and all appears good except the rather noticeable gap shown in the photos. I know that Ruger has a sleeve for the 17-round magazine to cover the extended part of that magazine, but I have not seen anything for the 12-round mags.

My next step is a call to Ruger followed by an e-mail with a photo of the 12-round magazine gap. Fingers crossed that they will have a logical explanation and answer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called Ruger Customer Service and found them to be extremely helpful. They had no explanation why the 12-round mag has the space between the butt of the pistol and the top of the floor plate. We're working on a solution which may include replacement of the 12-round magazines.

As a follow up , if there is anyone with a Ruger American Compact and a 12-round magazine, can you post a photo of the magazine in the pistol? Is there a noticeable gap or do they fit flush?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After several e-mail messages to Ruger Customer Services and a phone call, a baseplate swap corrected the gap issue with the 12-round magazine. A simple swap and all is good again. Thanks to Ruger Customer Service with their recommendation now all is well.

Thanks for the replies, all were appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts