Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for experiences with this gun. How does it conceal, is it reliable, comfortable in the hand etc.....you know the drill lol

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Love mine. Has always gone bang when the trigger pulled. Medium sized hands so I don't have the issue with the "beaver tail" being too wide.

Conceales easily, it is almost identicle in size to the American 9 compact. I actually ise the same alien gear holster for both. Retention on the 9 is not as good as the 45, but stays put.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am debating between the American Compact 45 and the SR45

I am leaning towards the American as I would like to be able to CC the pistol in an OWB leather holster, but the $299 price tag on the SR sure is hard to beat !

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have an American .45 full size, with the safety. I had the LGS (who make their own holsters) make me a Kydex with a owb paddle for it. It hugs the butt against me close at 2 and 4 o'clock. Makes it nearly as good a carry as a smaller gun. Bare Arms made it, if you are interested.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have one. So far it has been reliable and accurate, but I haven't shot it a lot. The steel chassis that contains the firing mechanism looks much more solid than anything I've seen on any other plastic gun. This thing seems to be built to last, though my recoil spring assembly flew apart once when I field stripped it (with great force, so be careful) even though it is supposed to be captive. Ruger sent a new recoil assembly very quickly, and so far the new one seems stable, so maybe Ruger fixed the issue. I always shoot it after shooting one or two 1911s, and I gotta say the RAC feels pretty damn snappy after a nice heavy 1911. I will say, the thumb safety on an SR (I have a 40, not a 45) seems more positive than the safety on the RAC, which can be disengaged without much force, so I don't know how secure it would be for carry.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have one. So far it has been reliable and accurate, but I haven't shot it a lot. The steel chassis that contains the firing mechanism looks much more solid than anything I've seen on any other plastic gun. This thing seems to be built to last, though my recoil spring assembly flew apart once when I field stripped it (with great force, so be careful) even though it is supposed to be captive. Ruger sent a new recoil assembly very quickly, and so far the new one seems stable, so maybe Ruger fixed the issue. I always shoot it after shooting one or two 1911s, and I gotta say the RAC feels pretty damn snappy after a nice heavy 1911.
Galloway precision has replacements also in varying spring strengths. I have an 18lb in the 45. Makes racking the slide a little tougher but smoothes out the recoil.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For $299, I made my SR45 work in an owb holster.
Only thing I am deliberating is the compact can carry the same amount of rounds as the SR45

I just have never tried to conceal a full size pistol but I would guess that the SR45 is quite a bit thinner Than the RAP 45 compact ?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just have never tried to conceal a full size pistol but I would guess that the SR45 is quite a bit thinner Than the RAP 45 compact ?
I don't want to dig mine out right now to make a careful comparison, but I don't think there's a lot of difference in thickness. The American's grip may be just a hair thicker than the SR's, but I don't think the slide is. They both have fairly beefy slides. The American's ambidextrous thumb safety sticks out a bit more than the SR's safety. As I said above, the SR's safety takes a bit more deliberate effort to disengage, which to me is a good thing in a carry gun. They're both good guns.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Only thing I am deliberating is the compact can carry the same amount of rounds as the SR45

The slide thickness is the same as my Sig 1911 and Paul at Warbird Leather made the holster for me and it doesn't print!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The slide thickness is the same as my Sig 1911 and Paul at Warbird Leather made the holster for me and it doesn't print!!!
thats good to know. I have plenty of single stack 9's I can carry anyway
prob be more fun to shoot a full size 45acp anyways

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

The RAP is a bit thicker than the SR (1.4" vs 1.28") Quite a bit is a matter of opinion, but remember that thickness is an exponential thing. 10% thicker doesn't mean 90% as comfortable.

The bigger difference is in the grip. The RAP is thicker depending on the grip you use, but is also shorter. In my experience, the length of the grip is the most important dimension as far as both comfort and printing.

I have shot an SR45 a couple of times and it is a fantastic gun. I own a RAPC in 9mm and have shot it along with my nephew's SR9. The American is heavier and has less recoil, but not enough to worry about. At the end of the day, whichever one feels better in your hand is going to absorb more recoil for YOU.

Mentioning the safety, I have carried my RAPC in condition 1 many times. 3 times I unholstered the pistol to find the safety disengaged. It is not that it doesn't engage positively; the issue is that it is ambidextrous and large. It is easy to hit as you move around

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I find that difficult to believe. The slide on my SR1911 is about .9"; the thickest part of the slide on my RAPC is 1.4". Measuring the flat portion on the top of the slide doesn't tell the whole story; that is where Ruger pulls their 1.05" slide width.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I find that difficult to believe. The slide on my SR1911 is about .9"; the thickest part of the slide on my RAPC is 1.4". Measuring the flat portion on the top of the slide doesn't tell the whole story; that is where Ruger pulls their 1.05" slide width.
I'm talking about the SR45 and Sig Sauer black nitron.

EDIT: you are right sir! I stand corrected, my Sig fits in my SR45 holster. Major boo-boo on my part, sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts