Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I've gotten in on a deal for a Ruger American Rifle in .223. It's the standard model, with the 22" barrel and black matte finish. The seller said he'd fired 80 rounds in it, and experienced no problems. However, he told me that the Ruger buttstock pouch did not come with the rifle, nor does he have any extras (I had asked him about scope rings, bipod, etc.) The picture was just the naked rifle (he didn't even bother removing the stickers).

I negotiated what I figure a fair price, but what struck me as odd was that, when I asked him what scope he used while shooting the 80 rounds, he stated "no scope, I just shoot 2 times, 80 rounds." :confused: :confused: :confused: Um... okay - I guess I might blast a magazine worth of ammo downrange with an unscoped rifle just to check proper function, but this guy shoots two separate sessions and burns 80 rounds without being able to reliably see where his rounds are going? I swear this has to be a first for me, and I've met all kinds of er.. "characters" when it comes to the world of firearms enthusiasts.

Anyway, enough with the rant - anybody own this particular model want to tell me about it? Recommendations on scopes would be nice. I'm set up for blasting ammo, but I think I'll eventually get into reloading for .223 (already reload pistol calibers) and I have been impressed with my Ruger American Rimfire - so I figured getting one of its bigger brothers would be a good companion piece.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We got one for my girlfriend earlier this summer. She had a coyote hanging around her horse pasture and wanted something bigger than a 22 rimfire. She shoots left handed so we ordered the left hand model. Put a 4-12 power Nikon Pro Staff scope on it. Very nice shooting rifle. Can get 1/2 inch groups pretty regularly with it. Pretty strange shooting a left hand action. She really likes the rifle. Coyote must have figured out the heat was on. Haven't seen one since she got the rifle. Oh well it was a good excuse to get a new rifle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have one except it's the American compact model but still a 223. It shoots very well, it's a very accurate rifle. I use a Nikon 3x9-40 scope. Mine has about 100 rounds through it of PMC 55gr. The mag seems a little cheaply made, but no issues.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have one that I put a Nikon p223 scope on and a Boyds stock. I also reload and found that it likes the heavier bullet. I load a 69 grain barnes match hp and it shoots lights out. Here's a 4 shot group at 100 yards. You are going to be happy with that rifle!
uploadfromtaptalk1443399699226.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a standard model with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 on it. Mine likes 77g ammo with that 1/8 twist. Its very accurate!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts