Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum and just purchased my first rifle! Ruger american in .308 topped off with a vortex diamondback hp 3-12x42
I bought this gun to have fun at the range and start learning what it takes to be an accurate shooter. I will mainly use this for target practice at 100 yards.
With all this being said, what brand of ammo and what bullet weight should i buy to get the best possible results? Im wanting at least to shoot MOA.

I realize i need fo find the best one for MY rifle, but i want to get some starting points on which ammo works well for yall and what type of accuracy you all are getting from your american in .308

Thanks!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found that Silver State Armory 168gr and Hornady Light Magnum 168gr soft points were very consist. I have a Konus Pro scope that has worked out nicely. The American is .308 is also my first rifle, i've been happy with it. A heavier barrel would be nice if there were a replacement option.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would say start with a couple different 168 grain match grade ammo brands. You should get to moa pretty quickly, at least for the first few shots until the barrel heats up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought federal power shok 180gr SP and monarch 150gr SP to see how the cheaper ammo works out. Im going to get Federal gold medal match BTHP in 168gr and hornady amax in 168gr to see how accurate i can get and to compare the different brands. Sounds like a good place to start?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I bought federal power shok 180gr SP and monarch 150gr SP to see how the cheaper ammo works out. Im going to get Federal gold medal match BTHP in 168gr and hornady amax in 168gr to see how accurate i can get and to compare the different brands. Sounds like a good place to start?
Well, cheap ammo going to give you cheap results. The good stuff like 'match' grade cost what it does for a reason. So expecting 'match' performance out of cheap junk is not very realistic.

Rifles are all individualistic. You may find that YOUR rifle does it's best work with a brand of match at a particular weight and damn close to as good with a hunting load that's heavier or lighter.

The only way to find those answers is by trial and error. Know that radically different weights are going to hit differently due to their speed differences. So if you zero with 168's, know that 125's are probably going to hit higher.

Usually zeroing for targets and zeroing for hunting loads are two different things. You can document the differences in clicks on your scope if you choose or if you scope has hash marks you can go that way.

There are many choices, but the more you want out of it the more work/fun you have in front of you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know i wont get great results with cheap ammo, i just want to be able to visualize the comparison to match grade out my rifle. I probably wont use it to hunt, just target. So i guess i need to start throwing to lead down range and see what works best so i can stick with that type!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I seem to be getting MOA at 100yds with 150 gr Remington core lock in my Ruger American .30-06.... However, your millage may vary. I have not tried anything else... YET.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PPU brass, cci primers, varget powder, 168 gr. Hornady A Max.
Cant remember how many gr. of powder. Ill have to look in my log.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts