Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just preordered one at sportsman's outdoor superstore. I bought the compact model #26985, it should be a pretty interesting rifle and cartridge combination.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
American and MPR in 350 Legend. I'm thinking American in compact please!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was VERY excited about this caliber, being a long time 357Maximum fan.
But they (Winchester) has spoiled it for me. Its a bastard case, back and fourth bullet diameter. Drawings look allot like a 355 throat,,, yet current drawings show a .357 bore?!?!?

CANNOT use 223/556 brass... CANNOT load on 357 dies...

FORCED to buy factory ammo at least to start...

I like the American allot and feel this might be a nice cast bullet gun...

I don't want to want one. :)

CW

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
This chambering makes a stronger argument for the 450 Bushmaster...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I think the 450's recoil in a light rifle makes a stronger argument for the .350.

Remember, it was Winchester who designed and specified the case, not Ruger. They merely built the rifles to shoot it.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
There is good reason we have reloading manuals with hundreds of different loads and cartridges. It's a great time to be in the shooting sports.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I think it's an interesting caliber, but as a reloader I'm disappointed I can't convert 223 brass into it. I think if someone wants a straight walled caliber with more power than 357 magnum in a hunting rifle and less recoil than 450 bushmaster they should just go with 44 magnum. Sure it will have less range than the 350 legend, but most of the time shots at whitetail deer are closer than 150yds and a lot are actually half that distance.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I think the 450's recoil in a light rifle makes a stronger argument for the .350.

Remember, it was Winchester who designed and specified the case, not Ruger. They merely built the rifles to shoot it.
Can't fault that logic either....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just bought 5 boxes of 350 legend ammo for 8.99 a box. Brass cased 145gr 20 rounds per box, and Lee claims to already have dies out for it? I'll give it some time and see what happens and gather load data info and start from there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
cptpoly,
I'd have to agree with you, but then again...I own a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster. :thumbsup:

I see this comparison as a 12 gauge vs. 20 gauge. For those that are recoil sensitive and/or youth and women, the 350 Legend will work very well.

I'm sure the 350 Legend has a flatter trajectory and less recoil. However, I'll take the recoil for the power advantage and extended range. I'm reloading a Hornady 250 gr. FTX with 39.5 grains of Lil'Gun at 2550 f.p.s. and getting a 1 hole group at 100 yards. Using a 150 zero, this gives me only 3.5" of drop at 200 yards.

It drops coyotes in their tracks! :cool:

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the 450 already. Nice thumper, but more than I need for many places. I'll keep it as it shoots great and I like a 45 caliber.

Years back for about ten years I hunted with the 357 Maxi and loved the performance only really wanting for a repeater in that caliber. Not having deep enough pockets to convert a 336, I used a Contender and H&R single shot firearms.

I got the call yesterday, My own 350 Legend RA will be in in a couple days!

CW

·
Registered
111 Posts
First range outing for the 350L

I shot the 350L for the first time today, 40 rounds of 145gr Winchester ammo. The rifle impressed me with it's accuracy and the round hits pretty hard, it will drop a deer no problem. I only have a Bushnell banner 3-9x40 scope on it and at 160 yards with just a front rest I was hitting clay targets with ease ,no problem. I'll be needing a better scope for precise target work, but for now this is all I have. I kept thinking it would shoot like a pistol caliber round, but it's a rifle round for sure and the recoil is slightly less than a 7.62x39 round. I'd really like to try and reload for it but I don't see any bullets available yet and load data is hard to find. The rifle functioned great and it's stiff as it's new, but smoothing out a little bit with the 40 rounds I fired through it. I had to tweak the trigger spring as the lightest setting was not good for me and the internal trigger components were very dry out of the box, everything needed to be lubed. So far so good and going to clean and lube and head back tomorrow for another session.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'll wait for the 350 Remington Magnum to come back. These straight walled cartridges might work for areas where traditional rifle cartridges aren't allowed but for the western states they are limited.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I shot the 350L for the first time today, 40 rounds of 145gr Winchester ammo. The rifle impressed me with it's accuracy and the round hits pretty hard, it will drop a deer no problem. I only have a Bushnell banner 3-9x40 scope on it and at 160 yards with just a front rest I was hitting clay targets with ease ,no problem. I'll be needing a better scope for precise target work, but for now this is all I have. I kept thinking it would shoot like a pistol caliber round, but it's a rifle round for sure and the recoil is slightly less than a 7.62x39 round. I'd really like to try and reload for it but I don't see any bullets available yet and load data is hard to find. The rifle functioned great and it's stiff as it's new, but smoothing out a little bit with the 40 rounds I fired through it. I had to tweak the trigger spring as the lightest setting was not good for me and the internal trigger components were very dry out of the box, everything needed to be lubed. So far so good and going to clean and lube and head back tomorrow for another session.
Awesome!

I picked mine up last night... Cleaned re mounted the base and mounted a optic and a ball on the knob lastly a KAW L Comp and its ready for the range!

CW

·
Registered
111 Posts
CW what ammo do you have for it, and how is it shooting? Mine is doing excellent with the WWB 145gr ammo, the rifle really does well with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can't wait to pick one up. It'll go through my beefed-up 9mm suppressor, whereas the .450BM/.458S need a bigger can. I don't want to wait another year for one to get out of fun jail.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts