Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed purchase minutes ago of the mdt lss chassis for the ruger american.

I came across their youtube video of the chassis installation dated 05feb16.

This made me go check their site and it was still currently listed as a work in progress.

I then placed my order and received a flood of notifications of it initial release and limited supply. Looks like my research led to ordering before initial roll out. So jump on it boys!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

MDT is the company and lss is the product. Look above for what it looks like.

You can use aics magazines now and load longer pills.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Any idea if there's a .223 version that takes AR mags?

It looks cool, I'm sure until I see the price......I don't know how much I want to spend on a stock set for a $380 Ruger American Ranch .223, when the Mossberg MVP Flex comes in a stock similiar to the one in the pic and it takes AR mags.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any idea if there's a .223 version that takes AR mags?

It looks cool, I'm sure until I see the price......I don't know how much I want to spend on a stock set for a $380 Ruger American Ranch .223, when the Mossberg MVP Flex comes in a stock similiar to the one in the pic and it takes AR mags.
No idea. Might have to research that one. Looks like that might only be the mvp. All the other actions ive seen only take aics style.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The Mossberg MVP is the only 223 with AR mags option I see.

I guess I'm not sure what the draw would be for an RAR rifle owner. I guess the option of putting AR grips and buttstock on it? Seems like a lot of money for that, though I suppose if you believe their accuracy and other improvement claims it might make sense.

Too bad Ruger doesn't offer a larger cap mag for the RAR's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The Mossberg MVP is the only 223 with AR mags option I see.

I guess I'm not sure what the draw would be for an RAR rifle owner. I guess the option of putting AR grips and buttstock on it? Seems like a lot of money for that, though I suppose if you believe their accuracy and other improvement claims it might make sense.

Too bad Ruger doesn't offer a larger cap mag for the RAR's.
I run chassis systems on all my rifles that arent in aluminum bedded stocks. The accuracy is well proven.

For me this chassis is perfect and it wont be for everyone.

This is my hunting rifle but the accuracy is great for tactical work on steel plate matches. Which is what i shoot, prs/tactical matches at the local level.

The factory stock was too light for me, especially for someone used to trekking miles with a 14lb+ weapon system.

The stock was too flimsy, so i did all the usual tricks and mods. Bedding, opening the barrel channel, etc. Even adding weight to the buttstock.

The extremely low comb is horrible so i started with a stock pack and ended up adding a kydex cheek rest.

I then bought a boyds because my past experianc with them was pleasant.

The boyds added the weight i needed but not over the top.

It had a nicer taller comb but still not good enough.

The way they made the lug system for their stock decreased accuracy found in the factory one. Basically it needed a pillar bedding system with metal on metal contact all the way through the stock. Not the action resting on metal contacting laminate and then action screws.

The magazine system they used on the boyds to capture the magazine was cheap and not well designed.

This caused many feeding issues unless you were very deliberately working the bolt.

The rotary magazine design for this rifle is junk as can be witnessed in many many threads all over the internet.

This chassis solves the needed weight for my preference, maintains the accuracy of the factory stock bedding system while increasing it with a non flimsy barrel channel and an entire chassis for the action to bond with.

It fixes the junk magazine system with proven aics magazines and increases the ability to reload longer bullets and loaded rounds perfectly matched with the lands vs being restrained to the amazingly small rotary magazine internal length.

Also, when the barrel burns out i can replace it easily with another using the ptg barrel nut and the wider barrel channel in this chassis. The only restriction would be the barrel size at the barrel nut.

Aics magazines come in 10rd and 20rd and probably even 30rd but ive never gone that high and only have run 10rd magazines.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Thanks for the reply. There is a lot of good information in there and I did not realize this chassis opened up AICS options as well. So I can see the value for some, though as someone else pointed out in an old thread I found on RAR stock options, if you are going to spend so much to improve a budget gun perhaps you should have bought the more expensive version to begin with! But I see it both ways.

That other thread (from late 2014) had a comment from someone saying ProMag was going to be releasing a line of larger capacity magazines for the RAR, but obviously that never happened.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply. There is a lot of good information in there and I did not realize this chassis opened up AICS options as well. So I can see the value for some, though as someone else pointed out in an old thread I found on RAR stock options, if you are going to spend so much to improve a budget gun perhaps you should have bought the more expensive version to begin with! But I see it both ways.

That other thread (from late 2014) had a comment from someone saying ProMag was going to be releasing a line of larger capacity magazines for the RAR, but obviously that never happened.
Yep, i waited and waited for those promags. I have plenty of expensive and far better suited rifles but this one is like the fun you get when shooting 22lr.

Its an investment i figured i might as well take the hit now. With the ptg barrel nut and being able to swap barrels in a 1" channel its not too bad considering i can do this at home with a barrel made to the specs of the barrel nut and some gauges at home. So its prettt mucha long term investment now lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts