Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time on this form, so I don’t know if anyone will see this or not. I recently received my Ruger American Predator and took it to the range. It was a blast to shoot but one thing that kind of ruins it was the bolt. It’s really stiff when I try to close it. Opening the bolt, pulling it back, and moving it forward is easy, but once I try to close it is when I start to get problems. These problems only happen when I’m chambering live rounds. The bolt seems to stop right as I begin to close it, so I have to sort of rest the gun tilted at an upward angle on the table and use a lot of force to close the bolt all the way. Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue or do I have to keep firing the gun and hope it loosens up? For those who’re wondering what I’m shooting out of it, I’m shooting Hornady Match and Black in 6mm Creedmoor. I’ve shot around 40 rounds so far through it.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Hmmmmm..........Tell tail sign of a headspace issue. I’d say switch ammo to see if it changes anything but I don’t think it will. You’re using promo ammo.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
There can be ammo chambered for the same thing that’s too long?
I’ve never seen it, I’m not saying it’s not possible, just highly unlikely. It dose sound like the chamber was cut on the short side. It would be similar to a case that been neck-sized one to many times.......the shoulder is pushed forward in the chamber making for a very “stiff” bolt. But in your case the chamber is smaller.

I’d call Ruger and see what they say.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
A quick stop by a gun shop and the chamber could be checked with Go - No Go gauges and possibly another brand of factory ammo . Having a good snug fit is great for reloading but the bolt must close easily .
I'm thinking the factory needs to fix it ... or trusted local gunsmith ... I hate sending em back but sometimes you have to .
Gary

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 6.5 Go Wild’s bolt is stiff to close if I really baby it. When I add a little zip to it, it closes with little or no effort. I’m thinking you have to overcome the ejector spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts