Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a ruger american 9mm duty pistol second hand but I didn't know about the recall. I've shot it quit a few times and checked it over and everything looks good but being a broke 19 year old I need to know this pistol will last, I signed up for the retrofit but they gave me some bs about the dude for that being out, should I just sell this pistol and get something different? I live ruger but I'm a survivalist and poor so I need to know my guns will last as it cost alot if money to me. My other two rugers for eye candy lmao

·
Registered
737 Posts
IIRC, the problem could start after 10k rounds. I decided to not send mine in with S/N prefix 860 because it shoots just fine, has no signs of excessive wear, and it'll be quite some time before I shoot that many rounds through mine, and I didn't want to hassle with sending it back to the Mothership. I would think Ruger would still honor the recall, PistolBHollidayiv. Perhaps you can try again, call them perhaps. I and many have found Ruger's CS to be very good.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Ruger will take care of the pistol. I really doubt only "one dude" can do the recall.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
The "safety bulletin" (not recall) involved the possible development of a crack in the slide somewhere after 10,000 rounds. Keep a watch on the slide. If you see a crack developing, call Ruger.

Also, what color is your barrel? If it is black, the retrofit has already been done.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
My question is how a 19 year old can purchase a handgun in the 1st place?
Not knowing where the OP lives, I can say that in Va, it used to be legal for an 18 year old to purchase o handgun from a person, but not an FFL. Of course they are adding new gun control laws so fast here, I'm not sure that is still true.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Not knowing where the OP lives, I can say that in Va, it used to be legal for an 18 year old to purchase o handgun from a person, but not an FFL. Of course they are adding new gun control laws so fast here, I'm not sure that is still true.
The federal law says 18-21 year olds can still private purchase or receive as gifts handguns so there is no reason to assume the OP acquired it illegally. Some states may pre-empt that, of course.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Your pistol should be fine even without the retrofit. I had been shooting mine for a few years before I sent it in and never had a problem with function or wear. Now I kind of miss that stainless barrel as the retrofit one is black. Shoot it and don't worry about it. As for the "Ruger guy being out", so what? Ask Ruger when he'll be back and that you're willing to wait before sending it in. I have never known Ruger to decline that type of work. I mean they're still doing the safety conversion on their "Old Model" single action revolvers from 68 years ago!

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
858 Posts
I agree that you most likely won't need to do the retrofit. However, it's no big deal to get it done.

If you haven't been to the retrofit site you should go take a look. Scroll down to the "Consumers" block/picture and there's a sign-up link. You put in the Serial # and go from there.

You'll get a packet in the mail that will contain the shipping box and all the instructions. You only send in the slide, barrel and recoil spring assembly, so there are no issues to send and receive.

I think mine was less than a 2-week turn-around time and that was when the bulletin first came out, so "traffic" was highest.

My RAP will most likely not even get to be 10,000 rounds, but I didn't think it would hurt to get the retrofit done, regardless.

Aqualung

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have to ask why should he not? A bunch of 19 year olds have died in war for this nation.
Yes but technically a 19 year old cannot purchase a handgun thru a FFL because of federal law. They can be gifted one. I joined military when I was 17 and saw a lot of young people get killed but that's not the issue. The issue was a 19 y/o with a handgun not a long gun a handgun. I never questioned if the gun was purchased illegally.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The way I see it. I don’t care if he has one or not. A rifle will kill you just as fast. Besides if all he has to send in is the slide and barrel. He could tell them he found it in a ditch. It’s not a firearm that he’s sending in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts