Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just bought a 5.56 American Ranch carbine and I'm trying to decide between 2 scopes that are a bit different in both price and capabilities. My 2 choices are:

Nikon 3x32 P-223 fixed 3x power OR

Burris Fullfield II 2x7 with BDC

Since the gun is a bit small and I probably won't shoot at anything beyond 200yards I've been leaning towards the Nikon a bit more than the Burris. I had a Burris Tac-30 on my AR (1-4X) and really liked it but it was a tactical gun and I'm not going that direction with the Ruger. I'll be using the gun as a range/target (100yds) and possibly coyotes down the road. Opinions sought !!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I tried the Nikon on my Rarr and did not like it.. It's too small and to get proper eye relief it needs to be too far back. It's perfect for the ar platform since you can get up higher but it just didn't fell right to me. Also the ranch is capable of good groups and it's just not enough magnification for me. I went with a Vortex in 2-7x32 and I really like it. Not to much not to little. I'd go 2-7x or at least 1-4x minimum. Just my 2cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Another thing i have the standard model, if you have a compact ranch it might help with eye relief to use the Nikon.

Here's mine with vortex crossfire ll 2-7x32 great price $120 and great lifetime time warranty.

Burris makes good stuff but no experience with them.

If you look how far back it has to be for eye relief picture the Nikon being that far back and you'll see there just isn't enough rail for it. I had to use p series mounts backwards and it look crapppy

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for getting back DT ! Just talked to a friend and you guys have me tipped on the Burris. I load all my ammo and between possible hunting and target shooting/load building the Nikon is just too limited I now believe. Going with some Warne rings to round out the package !

Thanks again !

Pete

Just saw your second post, thanks for putting up the pic. I'm also installing a A2 flash hider LOL. Are you shooting factory stuff or do you load your own ?

·
Registered
458 Posts
No problem, i think you'll be happy with the Burris. Optics planet usually has good deals. I don't reload so been shooting American eagle5.56 and .223 55gr and Winchester super X it's been pretty consistent..
I like the bipod but it makes it kinda heavy.. Good thing it comes off though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just told my gun store to install a Swift 1.5-4x32 on my ranch 556. I'm also having a muzzle break added. I wanted a scope that is really lightweight and good out to hundred yards. The glass looked nice in the store and it does not break the bank. I hope to pick it up this week and test it out this weekend.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I had been looking for a 2-7x32 Scope with BDC they are hard to find!!! I would personally still look for a 2-7x32 with BDC. For my .243 I bought a Nikon 2-7x32 with the shotgun BDC reticle. Natchez shooting supply had some refurbished scopes on sale a few months back for $99.95 I bought mine it's a very nice & clear scope. In fact I had read a article about guys doing the same thing as I have done. There seems to be no real effect using the Shotgun BDC reticle. But the Burris Full Field 2-7x32 with BDC could also be a good scope. I just really like the Nikon Scopes but in a 2-7x32 Nikon doesn't offer it's BDC reticle in a rifle scope setup that's why I opted for the shotgun BDC scope instead I am happy with it. Also as mentioned the Vortex 2-7x32 BDC is a nice scope also! Hey good luck to you!!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nikon makes a 2-7 p-300 marketed for the 300black out. I'm sure it can be adjusted to work especially through the Nikon website..
Also Vortex makes their better Diamondback series in 1-5x, 2-7x, and 2-8x all with bdc

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I went with a 2x7 Redfield Revolution with BDC and like it. Looks "right" on the little Carbine. But a Burris would be just as good. Never had a Vortex but these three are the only 2x7's with BDC that I'm aware of. Enjoy your Ruger!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually just checked out a Redfield Revolution 2x7 and it's USA-Made, not Chinese. Also has 1/4 MOA vs 1/2 MOA. Price is a measly $10 higher, think I'll buy American this time out. After all, it's going on a Ruger : )

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went with a 2x7 Redfield Revolution with BDC and like it. Looks "right" on the little Carbine. But a Burris would be just as good. Never had a Vortex but these three are the only 2x7's with BDC that I'm aware of. Enjoy your Ruger!
What mount are you using Buck ?

Pete

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went with the Redfield Revolution Tac-MOA 3-9 on my 300 BLK Ranch, US made and very clear glass. Been happy with it and all my Revolutions. IMG_20150629_124026879.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
One thing I like better about the Burris BDC reticle is that it shows the distance high and low at given ranges. Nikon will tell you that a certain spot on theirs is set at 74 yards, or maybe 123 yards. The way Burris does it makes a little more sense to me. Maybe I'm odd, who knows?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts