Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Ruger American pistols ( one compact 9 and the other a full size 45) which I just love. They remind me of the p series, big and reliable. Mine have both been flawless so far with around 500 rounds through each. I searched the internet for torture tests and not much comes up. Just seeing if anyone has any experience.

·
Exchequer
4,500 Posts
Don't have the RAP, but do have the P85.

Curious: have you run the RAPs with various ammo types and qualities? Just wondering how they hold up with steel case rounds through them.

Hope you continue to have flawless operation through thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a p85 among other p series, they are great guns. I have shot roughly 200-300 rounds of aluminum and steel case through the compact 9 and it did not hiccup. The 45 has been all brass so I can't say how it would do but I would bet it would eat anything. The RAP seems to get mixed reviews but mine are great. I'd buy another in an instant

·
Cat Herder
1,632 Posts
I don't feel like the RAP has really caught on in the pistol market. Torture test tend to get done on big sellers, it takes a lot of money worth of ammo to test one with thousands of rounds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have to agree. It was really hard for me to find one because no gun shops in my area had them. Every owner I talked to about them really didn't have much to say because they had no experience with them. Maybe I'll just have to have my own torture test 😅

·
Registered
450 Posts
I torture tested my 9 MM RAP Compact Pro, bought new soon after the model release. I put 20 rounds thru it, before it failed. Slide locked partially open, would not lock fully back nor go into battery. CS Fixed it, did not say what was wrong, blamed the ammo.

I got it back and shot another 80 rounds of the same ammo with no problems, placed the gun on a shelf. I am not a 9 MM fan anyway.

·
Count Ursunk
3,267 Posts
Check out Liberty Guns video. Nasty test on the RAP. As reliability goes, I have well over 8 thousand rounds put through mine. I think I've had maybe one stove pipe and two or three misfires from the same box of ammo brand. It's a very dependable pistol. It will fill your hand up for sure.

Reactions: Skully9 and Bonz

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I torture tested my 9 MM RAP Compact Pro, bought new soon after the model release. I put 20 rounds thru it, before it failed. Slide locked partially open, would not lock fully back nor go into battery. CS Fixed it, did not say what was wrong, blamed the ammo.

I got it back and shot another 80 rounds of the same ammo with no problems, placed the gun on a shelf. I am not a 9 MM fan anyway.
Did you happen to have the 12 round mags? Because my buddy bought a RAP compact about a month after I bought mine and was having issues with double Feeds and the slide not staying open. He called Ruger and they said the 12 round mags had poor springs, so they sent him new ones and has been very good since.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out Liberty Guns video. Nasty test on the RAP. As reliability goes, I have well over 8 thousand rounds put through mine. I think I've had maybe one stove pipe and two or three misfires from the same box of ammo brand. It's a very dependable pistol. It will fill your hand up for sure.
That is a hell of a test. Nothing more American than beer and snuff lol

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Did you happen to have the 12 round mags? Because my buddy bought a RAP compact about a month after I bought mine and was having issues with double Feeds and the slide not staying open. He called Ruger and they said the 12 round mags had poor springs, so they sent him new ones and has been very good since.
There was a run of the 12 round magazines that got out defective. In every case I have heard of, replacing the magazine took care of the issues. There were a few torture tests done when the pistol was first released. I think you have trouble finding them because they are not often searched. As has been said, the line just did not take off. If not many people are looking at the pistol, not many people are searching for reviews and torture tests. It's a shame, because they are very reliable and good shooters as a rule.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a run of the 12 round magazines that got out defective. In every case I have heard of, replacing the magazine took care of the issues. There were a few torture tests done when the pistol was first released. I think you have trouble finding them because they are not often searched. As has been said, the line just did not take off. If not many people are looking at the pistol, not many people are searching for reviews and torture tests. It's a shame, because they are very reliable and good shooters as a rule.
It is a shame. I really believe the RAP would do very well in a torture test. Both of mine seem to function very well no matter what I do to them. Granted I have not put thousands of rounds through either but I wouldn't be afraid to try if I had the ammo.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
732 Posts
The only issue I have with my .45 RAP is that it doesn't like my lead RN handloads. It does not fully chamber them, so the chamber's a bit tighter than on my P90, which has no issues with them. It feeds my loads with Hornady XTPs just fine. I've got some FMJ to load for it.

Both my 9mm and .45 RAPs are far from torture-tested, as I don't get to shoot them nearly enough.

As for the 9mm, they did have the recall for the barrel/slide for peening after a huge number of rounds, so I'm sure there's some torture testing going on somewhere.

Aqualung

Reactions: Bonz

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
It is a shame. I really believe the RAP would do very well in a torture test. Both of mine seem to function very well no matter what I do to them. Granted I have not put thousands of rounds through either but I wouldn't be afraid to try if I had the ammo.
It did extremely well in torture tests. I watched several before settling on the RAPC 9mm. There was a safety bulletin regarding possible cracks after 10,000 rounds on a run of the 9mm compacts, but Ruger took care of that. Only about 2,500 rounds through mine to date, but I sent mine in as it was in the range and got the new barrel and slide.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm
It did extremely well in torture tests. I watched several before settling on the RAPC 9mm. There was a safety bulletin regarding possible cracks after 10,000 rounds on a run of the 9mm compacts, but Ruger took care of that. Only about 2,500 rounds through mine to date, but I sent mine in as it was in the range and got the new barrel and slide.
Do you think the RAP would be a good gun for the military and leo? I would honestly put either one of mine against anything with confidence. I was hesitant to buy one but I'm very happy I did, so much that I bought another lol

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm

Do you think the RAP would be a good gun for the military and leo? I would honestly put either one of mine against anything with confidence. I was hesitant to buy one but I'm very happy I did, so much that I bought another lol
It was originally developed for the military trials that Sig won with the P320. The design was finished in the nick of time, but the requirements fro submission made Ruger decide to withhold it. This was also the reason Ruger was temporarily partnered with an ammo company (one of the submission requirements was that the winning bid had to supply both the guns and sufficient amounts of ammo). In the end, the cost of submission was not worth it to Ruger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah I see.
It was originally developed for the military trials that Sig won with the P320. The design was finished in the nick of time, but the requirements fro submission made Ruger decide to withhold it. This was also the reason Ruger was temporarily partnered with an ammo company (one of the submission requirements was that the winning bid had to supply both the guns and sufficient amounts of ammo). In the end, the cost of submission was not worth it to Ruger.
Ah I see. I knew a little about the military trials but didn't know the whole story. I only ask because I'm wanting to make my RAP compact my çcw and I'm wanting some insight on it before I depend my life on it. Right now I carry a cz 75 which i like but it's just a little big for summer wear. The Ruger seems perfect for me this time of year

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Mine has been exceptionally reliable. I use it for CCW at times.It is a little thick for IWB, and the way I dress for work has resulted in using pocket carry most of the time. When I go hiking during the Summer, the RAPC is the first gun I grab.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad to hear that. Most things I've heard of have been good. I like everything about it, now to find a good holster....

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
As mentioned by Nomadic Paladin, the Ruger American Pistol was intended to be entered into the Army's Modular Handgun Competition but Ruger missed the deadline and the contract was awarded to the Sig P320 (January, 2017). The Army released an RFI (request for information) in 2013 which called for 2,000 mean rounds between stoppages, 10,000 mean rounds between failures, and a 35,000 round service life. I would rate the reliability of the Ruger American to fall somewhere in those numbers... but you know how Ruger is. They're known to overbuild their handguns, so numbers might be higher.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts