Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Ruger 223 and have experienced the same issue with the magazines. The last round slides forward then drops down into the magazine. It has nothing to do with type of ammo or length of the ammo, the Rifle or the Bolt. You can duplicate this issue just moving a single round forward in the magazine with your finger and watch the back of the round drop off the plastic rear shelf of the magazine down into the magazine. The bolt then hits it in the sade of the round. Ruger sent me three that still do not work. They "claim" they have range tested magazines that work. We shall see when they arrive. But you are correct, why did they release a weapon that has a known malfunction? Getting Ruger to admit this issue is nearly impossible. The person I talked to said they only had a couple phone calls about this.Then finally admitted they were working on it and would send me range tested magazines.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is the same problem i had. I did receive 2 "range tested" magazines but i have not had a chance to see if they are any better or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm also sending my magazine back to Ruger. Does the same thiing and some nose dive into the front wall of the magazine. Something just isn't right.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought one today and mine has this same problem. If I hold up on the mag. it feeds fine. I added some plastic to the mag button and it feeds fine now!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought one today and mine has this same problem. If I hold up on the mag. it feeds fine. I added some plastic to the mag button and it feeds fine now!
Could you elaborate a little more on your fix?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here is the fix! The lips of the mag is to tight(about .325). If you open(i used a small file) it up to .340 it works great. I started opening it up about the arrow on the mag. Someone posted this fix on another site. It works.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought an American 223 today - same problem with the mag. My shop tried a couple other mags from other guns in the shop with the same result - #4 bullet does not chamber. Ruger is supposed to send a "tested" replacement. This is not acceptable quality control.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ruger 223 magazine fixed by Ruger

I got three 223 magazines from Ruger. They were "range tested" according to Ruger. They work. Contact Ruger if you have this problem and they will replace all your bad magazines. Be sure to tell the agent at Ruger you want the "Range Tested magazines" for your 223.:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine new one should be here today. I have the one that came with it working now. I adjusted the follower stop so the follower would be more centered and opened up the lips of the mag from about .320 to .335.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My rifle also has the same problem. I have not contacted ruger as of yet, but certainly will after reading this post. I just always fired three of the four and then reloaded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
223predator problems/mags

Out of the box issues with reliable feeding. Rounds get pushed up too high, also when you think it is going to feed a round successfully the bolt stops short a half inch. Contacted Ruger, customer service was great, they are sending two "range tested" mags. Two because i already bought a replacement on the web that had duplicate issue.......if this isn't a simple fix back in the box for me!

·
Registered
125 Posts
My updated one works fine. I am sure yours will also. I just can't see these mags lasting very long without the plastic feed lips getting worn out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
finally checked the range tested magazines i was sent and they feed good except for the last round. I'm not happy but i'll put up with it untill Ruger finds a real fix

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sorry you guys are having trouble with your RAR mags. I just got mine out to the range a few days ago with no probs, but will keep my eye on it for this issue.

Sparky

·
Registered
22 Posts
How long is it taking for Ruger to send repaired magazines back??? Mines been gone for 2 weeks and I'm getting antsy. Do they expect the customer to pay return shipping too?? I'm really very disappointed in Ruger and doubt I'll buy another.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How long is it taking for Ruger to send repaired magazines back??? Mines been gone for 2 weeks and I'm getting antsy. Do they expect the customer to pay return shipping too?? I'm really very disappointed in Ruger and doubt I'll buy another.
Call them, it shouldnt take that long unless you live in Siberia

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ruger is pushing product out the door and losing quality control. Many of their guns are being returned for repair or replacement. Example: The new Ruger American rimfire bolt-actions in .22LR won't take the clear magazines because the mag well is too tight. Ruger admits this and is "working on the problem," but meanwhile there are thousands of useless mags out there. They will work in some 10/22's, however. Simply unacceptable.

In my opinion, older guns work better than newer ones. An old Colt or Smith revolver will outlive you and your grandkids. The new ones are inferior. Same for cars. Look at the millions of recalls lately; glitches galore. Designed for obsolescence. They just don't make things as well as they used to. Craftsmanship is a lost art; the machines have taken over and everyone trusts them but they are far from perfect. Man designed robots, hence they are highly imperfect. The skilled labor force is vanishing.

Postscript: Remington/Marlin no longer makes anything worth buying. Every time I check out one of their rifles the fit and finish are horrible. My LGS won't even carry Remlins any more for fear of customer complaints and ultimately a lawsuit when they malfunction.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts