Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walmart is offering a RAR for $337 for Black Friday. Is this a good deal? This would be my first hunting type rifle if I were to buy. I'm thinking either the 30-06 or .308, but I have absolutely no experience with either one so I ask your opinions on which version to get.

I dislike Walmart, but my funds are limited. If I could get this at a LGS for that price or better I would. Any links to shops in southeast WI would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sounds like a good buy. While .308 Winchester is a justifiably popular caliber, I remain partial to the venerable .30-06 Springfield. American hunters really can't go wrong w/ either one.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Stopped at my local walmart yesterday and was looking at the RAR, they had them for $357.00. I did notice there are few websites that have them for $308. Have not decided which caliber to get yet .270, .308 or 30-06....decisions , decisions..

·
Registered
44 Posts
i'm currently in the market for a RAR .308. i've seen a few that were cheaper online, but they are all out of stock. there is one in the .308 at a local gun shop for $369 but i rather wait for black friday or christmas sales.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
That's a very good deal. The local LGS and Bass Pro are selling it for $360-380 price range, plus tax. My local Walmart stores don't carry firearms, just ammo.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have one, in .308; nice rifle, accurate too. 30-06 has been a real nice cartridge for many years and you can't go wrong with it, but you'll probably find that the .308 are somewhat cheaper... Good luck with your choice...

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
That is a very good deal. Your best bet for an all around hunting cartridge is either the .270, .308, or .30-06. It don't really matter which one you get, they'll all kill the same things as well as one another. Personally, I'm partial to the .270, but that's just me. The .243 is a good varmint/deer combo but not a very good all around cartridge.

If you go .270, you can basically use the 150 grain bullet for everything, it works great on everything from Deer to Moose. If you're only hunting deer or similar sized animals, you can use the 130 grain no problem. If you go .308 or .30-06, use 150's or 165's for deer and use 180's for bigger animals.

Another thing that would be good to know, do you plan on hunting anything bigger than Deer?

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Sounds great, I would go 30-06, very versatile calibre.
My hunting calibre here is .270 Win, big enough for what I want.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Walmart is offering a RAR for $337 for Black Friday. Is this a good deal? This would be my first hunting type rifle if I were to buy. I'm thinking either the 30-06 or .308, but I have absolutely no experience with either one so I ask your opinions on which version to get.

I dislike Walmart, but my funds are limited. If I could get this at a LGS for that price or better I would. Any links to shops in southeast WI would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input.
I've got a Remington 700 SPS, but I seriously considered the RAR before making my decision. I'm trying to get into long range shooting and the though the Remington was twice as much, I thought it was better for my purposes.

That being said, the RAR is an excellent rifle. I'm biased towards .308. It's a standard military round and is extremely accurate. The 30-06 would be my 2nd choice to a .308. The .308 is also a very popular round so you're more likely to see it go on sale from time to time. I believe the 5.56 is the most popular round and the 7.62x39 AK round is also very popular. But the .308 just says "American" to me and I have three rifles that shoot it.

Good luck on your decision. That's a good price and I'm sure it won't last.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Idk if it matters but the ad only says that its for the .270 rifle. I hope its not so because i want one in .308 so bad
The .308 is an excellent round and my choice. If it were me, I wouldn't let $30 - $50 come between me and getting the rifle the way I wanted it.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I have one, in .308; nice rifle, accurate too. 30-06 has been a real nice cartridge for many years and you can't go wrong with it, but you'll probably find that the .308 are somewhat cheaper... Good luck with your choice...
If you search YouTube, you'll find some comparisons between the 30-06 and the .308. They tend to agree that the .308 is slightly more accurate. The .308 was a natural extension, or an improvement over the 30-06.

I just read (another) article comparing them and if I remember right, they were saying that the 30-06 is just as good as the .308 for closer distances, say 300 yards, but after that the .308 excels.

·
Administrator
23,652 Posts
The 30/06 hasn't been around for over 100 years for no reason. It is a great caliber and will offer a slightly wider selection of bullet weights (110 gr-220 gr) than the 308 (100-200) and really outshines it when you get into the heavier weights (180 gr +) that you might use for larger game like bear, elk or moose. Truthfully a deer hit in the vitals with a decent bullet won't know the difference between a 308 or a 30/06. They will both do the job. To me the more important decision would be the optics that you plan to put on it.

Post up some pics when you get it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.